AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 01-19-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post

Had a good listen to it last night as well as the 900 + 901 stack. Brought back memories of my DP700 but the sound was much improved.

I also listened to the Chord QB76HD, Chord's newest and top end DAC which is a bargain at only around 5k. Using the accuphase as a transport, I actually preferred the Chord's sound. It was more transparent and had a lighter airiness about it. I begin to see why this one has been touted as a giant killer. The 901 Dac was slightly warmer but sounded a little more muffled (ever so slightly). I could easily live with both.
Hi Howie, sounds to me perhaps the unit you demo'ed had insufficient hours on them? Going on from experience, that's what I thought of the Accuphase combo too in the beginning ; a tad muffled, restrained, slow (after one a half month ; 200hrs, I thought that was pretty much it). If you refer to the thread "Best Ethernet Cable?", hence me preferring Audioquest Diamond RJ/E cable which had a more open holographic airy quality to them as match initially.

However just last month, I updated over there citing that after a period of five months plus (going on 500-600hrs), the Accuphase combo literally transformed--opening up, giving a much more life-like presentation adding much zest, life, air, speed, so much so that I currently swap preference to using the AIM Shiledio LAN cable which at that time of first testing gave a slightly too controlled muffled/restrained performance prior to the combo being properly broken-in. Now the AIM cable is giving a nice perfect balance whilst the AQ a tad overtly so.

*The HS-Link and power cords also help shape its sound big time. The OEM green HS-Link supplied although pretty decent is just average when compared to hi-end aftermarket offerings like Acoustic Revive, AIM Shieldio, AQ Diamond.. Significant improvement and almost mandatory upgrade at little cost for DP900/DC901 users IMO. Anyway, just my .2c. Rgds.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvdiman View Post
Hi Howie, sounds to me perhaps the unit you demo'ed had insufficient hours on them? Going on from experience, that's what I thought of the Accuphase combo too in the beginning ; a tad muffled, restrained, slow (after one a half month ; 200hrs, I thought that was pretty much it). If you refer to the thread "Best Ethernet Cable?", hence me preferring Audioquest Diamond RJ/E cable which had a more open holographic airy quality to them as match initially.

However just last month, I updated over there citing that after a period of five months plus (going on 500-600hrs), the Accuphase combo literally transformed--opening up, giving a much more life-like presentation adding much zest, life, air, speed, so much so that I currently swap preference to using the AIM Shiledio LAN cable which at that time of first testing gave a slightly too controlled muffled/restrained performance prior to the combo being properly broken-in. Now the AIM cable is giving a nice perfect balance whilst the AQ a tad overtly so.

*The HS-Link and power cords also help shape its sound big time. The OEM green HS-Link supplied although pretty decent is just average when compared to hi-end aftermarket offerings like Acoustic Revive, AIM Shieldio, AQ Diamond.. Significant improvement and almost mandatory upgrade at little cost for DP900/DC901 users IMO. Anyway, just my .2c. Rgds.
Could very well be. I was always very pleased with the sound from my DP700 so I have no reason to suspect the dual combo would be any worse.

howie
Old 01-20-2014, 11:53 PM

howiebrou, bvdiman do you by any change have any experience with the DC-801/DP-800 combo. How does it comapre to the new DP-720 or DC-901/DP-900 players? Is there anything I would need to be aware of about this combo?

Based on my past experiences with Accuphase components, I am inclined to believe that the DC-801/DP-800 combo will easily outperform the new DP-720, but of course it is just a speculation. Since a 800/801 combo is significantly cheaper than a new DP-700 or DP-720, I am thinking for some time now to buy one.

I thank you in advance!
Paul
Old 01-21-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvp View Post
howiebrou, bvdiman do you by any change have any experience with the DC-801/DP-800 combo. How does it comapre to the new DP-720 or DC-901/DP-900 players? Is there anything I would need to be aware of about this combo?

Based on my past experiences with Accuphase components, I am inclined to believe that the DC-801/DP-800 combo will easily outperform the new DP-720, but of course it is just a speculation. Since a 800/801 combo is significantly cheaper than a new DP-700 or DP-720, I am thinking for some time now to buy one.

I thank you in advance!
Paul
Sorry Paul, I had the DP100/DC101 for a while long time ago but no experience with their 800/801.
Hopefully others will chime in on that one.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:

I thank you in advance!
Paul
I had the DC-801/DP-800 and DP-700 at home. The CDT/DAC combo is much better sounding. From what I've heard, the DC-901/DP-900 does not have that classic Accuphase sound (meaning a bit on the warm side, very fluent and organic) as DC-801/DP-800 and DP-700.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:

I thank you in advance!
Paul
Sorry, never had the chance to A/B the older with the newer generation. The separates did exceed the one box player though, as you would expect.

howie
Old 01-26-2014, 02:29 AM

Default Can this one play multichannel SACD?

I have an old DP-100, connected to DC901. My biggest disappointment is that it can't play multichannel SACD (without 2-ch SACD layer), and almost half of my SACD are of this very kind. So just for them I need to use Oppo player, or settle for the CD-layer. Can the new DP-720 downmix multichannels, or they also pretend that there is "no disk"? Indeed, most of the time I play music stored on NAS, but it's nice to have option...

I was thinking about upgrading DP-100 to 900 or 720 (as transport), but without the ability to play multichannels it's just has no sense to me... CDs are always sound better being ripped and played from the NAS, so SACD would be the only reason to have disk player.

And, by the way, since 900 and 720 cost about the same, if they can play multichannels, which one would be a better choice? I was told by accuphase guys at CES that 720 has a better drive... If somebody actually compared 720 with 900, opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks, Gene

Last edited by w3ua; 01-26-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:41 AM

Elberoth, thanks for the information. You are the second person, with first hand experience, to confirm me that the DP-800/DC-801 combo is significantly better than DP-700. This is also inline with my previous experience with Accuphase components, e.g. when moving from A-45/C-2410 to A-65/C-2810. Thanks for the reassurance! (On the other hand, quite a few dealers told exactly the opposite, most lilkely because they had their own selfish agenda).

w3ua, as far as I know Accuphase has never provided support for more the 2-ch SACDs for their digital players - not even when they where producing home theatre components. I see not reason why they would change this now when they produce only stereo equipment.

Paul
Old 01-27-2014, 09:36 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

w3ua... Welcome!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 01-27-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:

w3ua, as far as I know Accuphase has never provided support for more the 2-ch SACDs for their digital players - not even when they where producing home theatre components. I see not reason why they would change this now when they produce only stereo equipment.

Paul
OK, thanks... then there is no real reason to mess with the upgrade... indeed, in my case the only reason for the upgrade would be convenience of the front loading tray and beauty of wood case. Of course, these two are important... but hardly crucial at the moment.

The other question I have for all the Accuphase gurus... have someone ever bothered to integrate the control with some full-house automation system? At the moment my 2-channel is totally disconnected from my crestron-controlled house, and it is not really convenient. To me it looks like Accuphase intentionally makes their systems "hand control" only. DC-901 doesn't even come with a remote control! To control the volume or switch sources I need to get to the rack. To power devices on and off I am forced to use external ethernet-controlled power strip. My DG-38 equalizer after powering on always starts in equalizer mode, and there is no button on it remote control to switch it to analyzer mode using its remote control - once again, front panel button only...