AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 09-23-2021, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
British are first to review.....

Hi-Fi News (October issue) has reviewed the 801d4.

The edition can be purchased via Zinio

https://www.zinio.com/au/hi-fi-news-m1303
I've just read it.
It looks more like pure marketing than real review - but that can be said for 99% of "reviews".
Old 09-23-2021, 10:24 PM

Further to a previous post, Edgar has released a teaser preview......

https://www.soundstageaustralia.com/...801-d4-preview
Old 09-24-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
I've just read it.
It looks more like pure marketing than real review - but that can be said for 99% of "reviews".
I agree. The overall sound quality rating is the same as the previous 800 D3 which does really mean much but I highly doubt the improvement in the new D4 is as great as the difference between the D3 and the D2 series before it.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
I've just read it.
I notice too that this is actually the November issue of HFN, so it's obviously been fast-tracked in order for them to get the review into the public domain before other major publications. As a result though it's a bit light on the subjective detail, and omits providing readers with the sort of detailed description of the similarities and differences with the D3 model that many would be looking for.
Old 09-25-2021, 12:14 AM

Default It's official; The 800 Diamond 4.

I’m about to pull the trigger on a pair of new 804 D3 speakers or a pair of new 805 D3 speakers. I’m doing this because I think that the new D4 versions of these two speakers which I was waiting for are ugly. I’m ok with the look of the 803 on up, but the smaller speakers didn’t need to be changed and an 803 or larger won’t fit in my house. Just my opinion, but speakers are a piece of furniture and I just can’t see either in my house. My problem is that I can’t decide on which ones. I’ve been told by many that the 805 is actually the better speaker. Pair it with a small sub and you’ll have a killer system. Even if you add a sub to the 804, I’ve been told that an 805 sub combo will outperform an 804 sub combo because the 805 images so much better. Is this true? As you can see in my signature, I have an MC462 so I have plenty of power for either. What are your thoughts? Something to consider, I like to turn it up to 11!

Last edited by Stahle; 09-25-2021 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:31 AM

Personally I’d take an 803 any day over my 805…and I may go 803 in another home - numero uno are the high frequencies which are a bit less aggressive to my ears… I do like my 805 (now that I’ve got a high end resistor mod to tame the Tweeter), but they are not quite 803 league which my friend had

Edit - too early in the morning not reading properly, apologies

Last edited by ti33er; 09-25-2021 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-25-2021, 03:17 AM

But as I said, an 803 won’t fit in my living space. I’m trying to decide between an 804 and an 805, not an 803 and an 805. The 804 and 805 are the only ones that will fit.
Old 09-25-2021, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti33er View Post
D4 can only be improved sonically by levelling out that ridiculous intentional 10Khz peak and making the D4 tweeter linear.
It may be time to consider the D4... In case you missed it earlier, this review mentions...
Quote:
Although the D4 genes can now be heard unmistakably, this is an even higher level. For example, the layer is even deeper and more defined, the middle is enormously loose and extraordinarily natural and it is increasingly apparent that the well-known 10 kHz peak that characterized the D3 models so much, has fortunately been omitted from the D4 generation.
Old 09-25-2021, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahle View Post
I’m about to pull the trigger on a pair of new 804 D3 speakers or a pair of new 805 D3 speakers. I’m doing this because I think that the new D4 versions of these two speakers which I was waiting for are ugly. I’m ok with the look of the 803 on up, but the smaller speakers didn’t need to be changed and an 803 or larger won’t fit in my house. Just my opinion, but speakers are a piece of furniture and I just can’t see either in my house. My problem is that I can’t decide on which ones. I’ve been told by many that the 805 is actually the better speaker. Pair it with a small sub and you’ll have a killer system. Even if you add a sub to the 804, I’ve been told that an 805 sub combo will outperform an 804 sub combo because the 805 images so much better. Is this true?
Agreed! They should have left the top plate on the 805 and 804 alone, i.e., kept it wood. They don't need the leather that the turbine head versions do. As for which to get, I would lean towards the 804 D3. It does have a hot top end but that can be tamed a little. Plus it's a full range speaker (subs aren't necessary) and is more cost effective when you add the price of the stands to the 805 D3. I don't find the 805 D3 to image any better than the 804 D3, but it is less bright in comparison. You'll probably get more mileage out of the 804 D3 too.
Old 09-25-2021, 05:23 AM

The scoring system of HFN is not absolute. They do not give score on sound quality only, but you can consider it a score that measures the performance and quality you get within a price. So 92% for 30K is not the same sound quality for 92% for 35K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Gale View Post
I agree. The overall sound quality rating is the same as the previous 800 D3 which does really mean much but I highly doubt the improvement in the new D4 is as great as the difference between the D3 and the D2 series before it.