AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 04-08-2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Howie......What a treat for the eyes. Beautiful system. I like the racks, too.
Thanks Dan. My racks are not needed at the moment but you know how things are
Old 04-08-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
I used to own an Accuphase DP700 SACD player. It was fantastic. Their DP800 / DC801 SACD transport and dac is even better. Very smooth sound, not etchy or hi fi sounding at all.

Just one recommendation. Don't buy it in the US. Your prices are more than double what is paid in Asia, sometimes three times as much so it is worth buying grey

howie

Here is a photo of the DP700 SACD player in my rack

Howie

I know you are into home theater with your meridian set up but that was a sweet 2 channel system. The amp. you had is pretty rare here so they are really rare by you ? Do you miss it ?
Old 04-08-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Howie

I know you are into home theater with your meridian set up but that was a sweet 2 channel system. The amp. you had is pretty rare here so they are really rare by you ? Do you miss it ?
I presume you mean the MC2000. Yes it is pretty rare over here, much more rare than in the US where Audiogon has a few at any one time. It was a very sweet 2 channel system. I love the sound of the Mc2000. It did get hot so when it was in the rack it had a small fan out of picture blowing the hot air away. The MC2000 was a lot better than two 2102s in mono imo and the looks!

Honestly I use my system about 5% for HT and 95% for 2 channel but the reason for switching to Meridian wasn't HT. I have always loved the Meridian Sound with its detail and smoothness and emotional involvement all rolled into one. Kind of like a detailed Mcintosh if that makes any sense.

The Nagra PLL was a big improvement over the C2200. You really have to admire the build quality and swiss precision of its kit.

ANother pull for the Meridian was simply simplifying the myriad of wires and boxes. Had I stuck with 2 channel all i needed was a 808i.2 and a pair of speakers with no power amp, preamp, dac etc. That is how I had it for a while until I had the funds to move it along to a HT version which just means adding one more box (861) and as many speakers as you need. In fact you don't even have to route the 808 via the 861 since the speakers have two separate digital inputs so you can remain pure if you want. The 861 does have room correction, however, and that is another bonus.

If I ever went back to an analogue system I think it would Class A low powered amps with a pair of very high efficiency speakers like Tannoy Westminsters, JBL DD6600, Avantgarde horns. Their very sweet sound draws me in inifinitely more than 10,000 watt systems with a hundred different components.

howie

Last edited by howiebrou; 04-08-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:52 AM

I have a friend with a very nice Meridian home theater system, it is very elegant in both sound quality and appearance. I am at a place where I am still infatuated with my 2 Mcintosh systems and that is a good thing because it is good to take a break buying components/speakers once you are happy. I have only been into this hobby in a serious way for 2 years this month. I am getting close to the point on the curve where sonic improvements are small compared to the cost . I still wish you had kept that amp.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:04 AM

Very nice system! I used to have an Avid table (a Volvere in my case) at the same time with an Accuphase DP 80/DC 81 transport/DAC digital front end, I enjoyed both formats a lot by that time.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post

I used to own an Accuphase DP700 SACD player. It was fantastic. Their DP800 / DC801 SACD transport and dac is even better. Very smooth sound, not etchy or hi fi sounding at all.

Just one recommendation. Don't buy it in the US. Your prices are more than double what is paid in Asia, sometimes three times as much so it is worth buying grey

howie

Here is a photo of the DP700 SACD player in my rack
Hi Howie,

I realise it's been a while since the original post was made but, as you seem to have had some experience with Accuphase digital sources, i'd be grateful for your(or anyone else's) advice regarding a potential buying decision.

I may soon have the opportunity to purchase a pre-owned Accuphase DP-800/DC-801 for approx. half of its' original MSRP. Or an Esoteric X-01D2 for about half of its' original price too. I'm told both are genuine UK products & were orginally released & sold by an authorised dealer or the respective UK distributor, no more than 4-5 years ago.

Which would you say is better value for money & is more likely to hold it's re-sale value for longer? And are there any issues i should be mindful of, or questions i should be asking either of the sellers, before parting with my hard-earned?

Any relevant advice you could give me which may help me in making my decision would be much appreciated.

Regards & thanks.

Bob.

Last edited by Babur72; 04-29-2013 at 04:48 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:49 PM

Proud owner of an E-460 with a DG-28 digital roon corrector...
My source is a LINN Klimax DS streamer. Sweet combination!
Old 06-16-2013, 05:37 PM

Not sure if the original Kensonic "Accuphase" P300 Counts but I have one. Needs a full restoration before it gets put back into regular use , which I plan on doing during by the fall. Nice unit. built like a tank. but technically it's a Kensonic amp I suppose.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:54 AM

After moving from the E-408 to the E-460 and now onto a pair of A30's I can only say is you can't go wrong with any of the accuphase amps. I am not as impressed by the pre amplification but as far as amps go I compared my A30's to a pair of Mark Levinson N0 53's and IMO there is no reason to spend $50k when a lot less money will do the job equally as well.
MAIN SYSTEM: Shindo Masseto, (2) Accuphase A30's, Arcam DV29, Transrotor Darkstar, Jelco 750, CA DaVinci, Audience AU24SE, JL F-112, Totem Winds. Ricchard Gray OFFICE SYSTEM: Mac C26, Mac 2505, accuphase T-100, Marrantz, Technics SL1400MkII, CA 2002, Tandberg 10X, Nak 680ZX. Fried R3 signature (owned since new) HT: Arcam AVR600, Mrantz UD7007, Panasonic 65" VT50, Dali Helicon 7.0 (2) JL F-110, DAILY TV VIEWING: (In build phase)Panasonic 58" pro series Totem tribe 5.1 Arcam AVR300 (temp) DV88,Sony BR GAMING SYSTEM: Runco XP50DHD, Arcam AVR250, Dali Mentor 5.1, Xbox 360 .Too much more to list
Old 06-24-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94turbo3.6 View Post
After moving from the E-408 to the E-460 and now onto a pair of A30's I can only say is you can't go wrong with any of the accuphase amps. I am not as impressed by the pre amplification but as far as amps go I compared my A30's to a pair of Mark Levinson N0 53's and IMO there is no reason to spend $50k when a lot less money will do the job equally as well.
I have an A65 with a C-3800 and a pair of 53's with the new No.52 preamp. Both combos are excellent but two completely different sounds. I personally prefer the Accuphase as well.

Last edited by Masterlu; 06-24-2013 at 09:09 PM.