AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 10-02-2014, 10:00 AM

Cool Accuphase resale value

Ok, all things considered, what is the resale value of the (mostly newer) Accuphase units? I hope at least 50 percent of retail!

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_72 View Post
Ok, all things considered, what is the resale value of the (mostly newer) Accuphase units? I hope at least 50 percent of retail!

Thanks in advance.
The rule of thumb proposed by my dealer would be:
30% off the list price for the first year after purchase
an additional 10% off for every subsequent year.
Original packing including all accessories and mint optical and technical condition assumed.
(My dealer does not do any trade-in business.)
Old 10-02-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltemi View Post
The rule of thumb proposed by my dealer would be: 30% off the list price for the first year after purchase an additional 10% off for every subsequent year. Original packing including all accessories and mint optical and technical condition assumed. (My dealer does not do any trade-in business.)
When you say 10% off every subsequent year do you mean year 2 is 40%, yr3 is 50%, yr4 is 60% and yr5 is 70% off MSRP?

Or do you mean you take off 10% off the previous year MSRP: yr2 is 1-0.7*0.9 =37%, yr3 is 43%, yr4 is 49% and yr5 is 54% off MSRP?
Old 10-02-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarin View Post
When you say 10% off every subsequent year do you mean year 2 is 40%, yr3 is 50%, yr4 is 60% and yr5 is 70% off MSRP?

Or do you mean you take off 10% off the previous year MSRP: yr2 is 1-0.7*0.9 =37%, yr3 is 43%, yr4 is 49% and yr5 is 54% off MSRP?
I think he means the former. It's a simpler rule of thumb to remember.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:59 PM

Not specific to accuphase but I would say you must also calculate in how long the model has been produced. It doesn't matter if yours is two days old if the model has been out for 5 years you will lose more than 10% day one Your sell price will probably be closer to 10% more than the 5 year old used model is selling for. You also have to figure in dealer discounts when buying something and looking at its used value. I purchased a pair of revel F208's new a couple years ago for $3000 which was 40% off retail. I didn't care for them and decided to sell. These things were about a month old and the line was new enough that they were back ordered. It took me over a month to sell them and every offer I received they commented that they were quoted $3000 from the local dealer. Take it for what it is but the best way to know how much you will lose is to watch the market.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:44 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltemi View Post
The rule of thumb proposed by my dealer would be:
30% off the list price for the first year after purchase
an additional 10% off for every subsequent year.
Original packing including all accessories and mint optical and technical condition assumed.
(My dealer does not do any trade-in business.)
Ok, thanks. I appreciate that. Do you feel Accuphase has good resale value overall?
Old 10-02-2014, 09:52 PM

Also, this question's been on my mind. And I apologize for stepping on any toes here. However, would selling a 120V model with full warranty and the availability of parts and service in this country (US) have greater resale value than what some others do ie buy from Japan at a lower price but with 100V, little or no warranty, and no parts and service availability here in the US. I would hope the former is true, but I wouldn't know at this time. Personally, I have given up buying from Japan for a number of reasons, and am willing to pay the higher price for greater peace of mind. I hope to find a good deal from a US dealer nevertheless.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:58 AM

Hi Dave, it depends on how strong/weak the yen is.

In Europe the resale value use to be quite good. Because every year the prices were increased regularly (with approximately 10%), the price of a model varied significantly during the period it was in production. As an example I’ll take a fictive Accuphase product that when introduced costed 10k. It was not unusual to see that four years later (at the end of its production cycle) that product costed 12.5-13k, and that its evolution costed 13.5k when released. Consequently, selling a 4 years old model at 6k (i.e. more than half its original 10k value) was never a problem given the fact the follow-up model costed 13.5k.

Now the situation has changed a bit as the new Accuphase prices are lower. I have seen quite a few A-65 power amps and DP-700 players that were 2-3 years old and sold at half (sometime less) of their original price.

Finally, it is also worth mentioning that some models keep their values better than other.

Last edited by nvp; 10-31-2015 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvp View Post
Hi Dave, it depends on how strong/weak the yen is.

In Europe the resale value use to be quite good. Because every year the prices were increased regularly (with approximately 10%), the price of a model varied significantly during the period it was in production. As an example I’ll take a fictive Accuphase product that when introduced costed 10k. It was not unusual to see that four years later (at the end of its production cycle) that product costed 12.5-13k, and that its evolution costed 13.5k when released. Consequently, selling a 4 years old model at 6k (i.e. more than half its original 10k value) was never a problem given the fact the follow-up model costed 13.5k.

Now the situation has changed a bit as the new Accuphase prices are lower. I have seen quite a few A-65 power amps and DP-700 players that were 2-3 years old and sold at half (sometime less) of their original price.

Finally, it is also worth mentioning that some models keep their values better than there.
Ok, thanks for the info. Much appreciated. As you know, this stuff isn't cheap, and resale value is important to me before I purchase an Accuphase unit or units.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarin View Post

Sorry folks, I meant the latter, like an ordinary depreciation (had to look up the exact term) in bookkeeping.