Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Travel & Leisure

Travel & Leisure AA around the World

Old 06-21-2019, 10:57 AM

Great video!!!
Old 06-21-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Dave.......That was incredible! .
Dan, while we were in Scotland a couple years back we toured the Royal Castle but being that it was June the Tattoo was not going on. I have multiple DVD's of these guys performing, if there's a better drum line out there I haven't seen or heard it.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:59 PM

Check out many DCI World Final videos over the years if you like percussion units equal to and better than Top Secret....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
Dan, while we were in Scotland a couple years back we toured the Royal Castle but being that it was June the Tattoo was not going on. I have multiple DVD's of these guys performing, if there's a better drum line out there I haven't seen or heard it.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:06 PM

Default Switzerland

Been there many times over the years; good friends (ex-pats) in Basel. Consider Stein am Rhein if you will be there late summer - origin of the Rhein river, exit of Bodensee. Hotel Rheinfels is right on the water and at the bridge. A medieval experience.
Jump off the bridge with the locals and ride the current downstream. Good to have a ride back though, I had to hoof it.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:34 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

I"ve only been in the winter to ski, but Gstaad and St Moritz are beautiful mountain towns.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:08 PM

Also in the Engadin, about 30 minutes from St Moritz, is Sils. There you can take a horse drawn carriage up into the Fextal (or Val Fex). You can make it a day trip and stop for lunch at the Hotel Fex, or even stay at the hotel. It’s a gorgeous valley and beautiful ride. You can of course also walk it. We’re a bit lazy, so we’ve taken the carriage to the hotel, had lunch, and then walked back - much easier.

https://www.sils.ch/en/stories/stori...-carriage.html
https://www.hotelfex.ch/
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 06-25-2019, 09:48 AM

I currently work in Lausanne about half the year and everything W9TR mentioned is gold, except the wine part (lol ) . I've found the Swiss wine not to my tastes especially any of the reds, it is true however that the towns making the wine keep the best batches for themselves and only sell the rest.

Regarding wine and wine tasting, however, a must do is the walking wine tour in Lavaux/Vevey/Montreux area. Speaking of which. If you end up in Zurich and are returning to the Lausanne area enroute to Geneva don't fall asleep as you're heading back after you pass the Fribourg stop. The train enters a tunnel a few minutes after that stop and you pop out in the dream landscape that is called the "Swiss Rivera". It's a Unesco World Heritage site and you will immediately know why. Sit on the left side of the train for the best view.

The only additional thing I can think of mentioning is that in the "French" part of Switzerland (Suisse Romande) I have found it takes quite a while for the Swiss to warm up to strangers, maybe it was just me but in the beginning I felt very alone there. This was especially true outside of Geneva. Geneva however is not as bad. Zurich and the "German" part of Switzerland is completely different and I've found the people very warm and welcoming. It's quite easy to make new friends there while relaxing in a cafe or local bar.

Lastly, the alps are nice, you're centrally located and are relatively quick train or boat rides to lots of interesting places to visit, Milan, Annecy, Evian, and many more. BUT, i love Bern. It's just such an amazing city with a wonderful river snaking through its downtown.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
I lived in the Zürich area as a child and have been back many times (my dad was Swiss and I still have lots of family there). Just a few thoughts:

The city of Lucerne is beautiful, as is the Lake of Lucerne. In the city, see the monument to the pope’s guards and enjoy any of a number of excellent riverside cafes and restaurants. Take the boat (river boats are part of the transport system) up the lake to the village of Vitznau and in Vitznau take the Rigibahn cog railway up the top of the Rigi. Mark Twain hiked this mountain and wrote a quite amusing travelogue about it. The food at the restaurant at Rigikulm is excellent, you can have a very nice lunch, hike down to Rigi Fïrst, along the Felsenweg (wonderful views of the lake and surrounding mountains) over to Rigi Kaltbad and catch the railway back down.

The Appenzell district is another beautiful area to visit. In the St Moritz area, if you want the old-school posh Swiss hotel experience, try the Suvretta House - expensive, but so is everything in St Moritz. St Moritz and the Upper Engadin valley are incredibly beautiful, but so is the Lower Engadin and not quite as well known.

If you like to hike or walk, the opportunities are endless, and can be as challenging or easy as you like. Most walking is on well groomed paths, with good signage telling you how far to the next village - and unlike hiking in the States, you’re never more than a half hour from some little mountain inn or restaurant with great beer and sausages.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:38 AM

all great info Gents, thanks so much !

any info, thoughts, etc on watch factory tours ? I know IWC has a museum in Schaffhausen. I'd love to visit either there, Rolex or Omega.

Air travel over I know is pricy for business/first class, any other ideas ? I know I'm limited leaving from Philly, JFK or Newark perhaps.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
all great info Gents, thanks so much !

any info, thoughts, etc on watch factory tours ? I know IWC has a museum in Schaffhausen. I'd love to visit either there, Rolex or Omega.

Air travel over I know is pricy for business/first class, any other ideas ? I know I'm limited leaving from Philly, JFK or Newark perhaps.
I would avoid JFK if possible by if you’re going there, avoid Fridays. My limo guy that I always use who frequently goes to JFK from Philly says it takes him between 4-6 hrs because of traffic.