AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tape Machines

Tape Machines Everything Analog

Old 02-14-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardallred View Post
Nope, which do you recommend?
I use a Geneva bulk tape eraser. Check eBay. No shortage of erasers there, although the handheld type (i.e. Realistic) tend to overheat somewhat easily.

What tape deck do you have?

Last edited by FreddieFerric; 02-14-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:04 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Richard, if it's a new 'virgin' tape, do a fast-wind pass of the tape.

Best Sir,

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Valhalla TA cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia in Argento Silver/Black grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit.
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution Bar:Shunyata Everest 8000 w/Omega XC Power Cable.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:3M Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110 ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage_tube View Post

Best Sir,

Bob

+1
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 02-15-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:

Best Sir,

Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by John49 View Post
+1
Agreed. And store the tape "tails out" to avoid print-through.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:26 PM

Sorry I don’t know what tails out means. IMG_2010.jpgIMG_2012.jpg

Also pictures on new tape deck

Thanks
R
Old 02-15-2018, 10:58 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardallred View Post
Sorry I don’t know what tails out means. Thanks R
Richard --

You store a tape "Tails Out" like this:

1) Put the tape on the player, and let it play, all the way through, at normal playback speed. When its finished, take the reel off and store it.

2) "Tails Out" means that the tape has been played and it must be rewound in order to play again.

3) By playing the tape at normal speed and then storing it, you are assured that the tape is wound evenly on the reel hub and the tape edges will not curl.

Don't rewind or Fast Forward a tape at high speed and then store it...this makes the tape wind unevenly on the hub and causes the edges to curl and stretch, and that causes problems.

Best Sir,

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Valhalla TA cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia in Argento Silver/Black grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit.
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution Bar:Shunyata Everest 8000 w/Omega XC Power Cable.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:3M Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110 ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Richard --

You store a tape "Tails Out" like this:

1) Put the tape on the player, and let it play, all the way through, at normal playback speed. When its finished, take the reel off and store it.

2) "Tails Out" means that the tape has been played and it must be rewound in order to play again.

3) By playing the tape at normal speed and then storing it, you are assured that the tape is wound evenly on the reel hub and the tape edges will not curl.

Don't rewind or Fast Forward a tape at high speed and then store it...this makes the tape wind unevenly on the hub and causes the edges to curl and stretch, and that causes problems.

Best Sir,

Bob

Ok, thanks. I’ve got a lot to learn about R2R

That’s what makes it fun

Never too old to learn simple things

R
Old 02-16-2018, 12:04 AM

Default R2R capabilities

Bob... +1 on the “Tails Out”
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 02-16-2018, 10:49 AM

Storing the tape tails out main purpose is so print through creates a post echo, not a pre echo.

But yes, playing the tape for a good tape pack/wrap is essential to the safety of the tape itself, minimizes edge damage.

Keep the machine heads and tape path clean and do it every time before and after playing a reel of tape.

Look for oxide shed and keep that stuff blown off the tape path.

Learn how to handle your tape transport. Use FF and RW to slow the movement down before engaging the brakes. If you go from full speed to abrupt stop you can break the tape and even the brake bands in the transport.

I was a full time professional recording engineer from 1976-2010. My first year on the job I learned how to calibrate and maintain R2R machines, we had a dozen Studer B-62 1/4" half track machines. It took me a week to go through them all doing a full mechanical and electrical alignment on each one. Because I had the knowledge, skills and all the tools (playback test tapes in all speeds, sine wave oscillator, dB voltmeter, oscilloscope, fish scales for pinch roller pressure and a Tentleometer for take up and hold back tape tension), I became the go to guy for all the recording studios in town. I worked on Studer and MCI 2" 24 track machines. A full alignment on those beasts took a whole day.

Last edited by Rex Anderson; 02-16-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
Storing the tape tails out main purpose is so print through creates a post echo, not a pre echo.

But yes, playing the tape for a good tape pack/wrap is essential to the safety of the tape itself, minimizes edge damage.

Keep the machine heads and tape path clean and do it every time before and after playing a reel of tape.

Look for oxide shed and keep that stuff blown off the tape path.

Learn how to handle your tape transport. Use FF and RW to slow the movement down before engaging the brakes. If you go from full speed to abrupt stop you can break the tape and even the brake bands in the transport.

I was a full time professional recording engineer from 1976-2010. My first year on the job I learned how to calibrate and maintain R2R machines, we had a dozen Studer B-62 1/4" half track machines. It took me a week to go through them all doing a full mechanical and electrical alignment on each one. Because I had the knowledge, skills and all the tools (playback test tapes in all speeds, sine wave oscillator, dB voltmeter, oscilloscope, fish scales for pinch roller pressure and a Tentleometer for take up and hold back tape tension), I became the go to guy for all the recording studios in town. I worked on Studer and MCI 2" 24 track machines. A full alignment on those beasts took a whole day.
You’re welcome to come to my humble abode to calibrate my BR-20 any day of the week. The case of beer is on me.