AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Old 02-17-2019, 08:01 AM

Wow! Great system Charles!
Alexx is one of my favorite speakers. Never heard it with McIntosch, but it is probably a very good match.
I can see that you have some absorption.
Have you tried any diffusion?

How is it around the sweet spot? My experience is that diffusion in the midrange and treble is good in the ceiling and behind you. It makes the scene bigger, more holographic, widened and the presentation is lively and controlled without getting dry.

Though, it's almost never possible to guess how a system sounds together with the room acoustics when you see it in pictures. My guess is that it's very good and with diffusion in the ceiling slightly in front of and above the sweet spot and behind the sweet spot it would work very well.

Your system is very capable over all and even more than most systems in the lower frequencies.
Have you any need for basabsorption?

I recently had a pro-acoustic guy at Sound of Science at home to measure up my system and my room acoustic. That was very interesting.

You can read about it in my thread https://www.audioaficionado.org/show...=28971&page=38

I strongly recommend to do this in any great systems. I certainly helps to get the system to exceed any expectations.

Last edited by Apexorca; 02-17-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:37 PM

Thanks to all so very much for the positive comments.

Apexorca, thank you for thinking about my system. What a great system you have. You are correct that I do have significant absorption in my room but not as much as I used to. The Alexx has a smoother treble and midrange than my previous speakers and has allowed me to make the room more diffuser, i.e. reflective which makes for a livelier sound. I am going to take your advice. There should be some firm around where I live. I suspect my room should be re-done for acoustics. At present I hear no problems either with bass boom at a particular frequency or with treble/midrange. Imaging and sound stage are very good and stable. Almost no grain or harshness. However, this doesn't mean there can't be room for very significant improvement. I'm going to have my room analyzed as you suggest. It is a good room because of its length of 40'. I have echo tunes on the rear ceiling and walls which are a long way away from my sweet spot. I have the Alexx optimized to interface with the Thor. If I wanted more bass from them they would be closer to the rear wall. At present I have a boost probably of 4-5 db at 40 Hz and 5-6 db at 25 Hz. Pretty flat down to well below 20 other than that. I don't find the bass boomy or objectionable and wouldn't want to reduce it. One of the main things the new subwoofer cables and power conditioner/cord did (also new power amp) was to increase the sensitivity/resolution of very soft bass notes all across the whole bass range. How are your Krells working out for you? Have you thought about Master Reference amps? They are among the finest ever produced.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:49 PM

Great system and room,...very well thought out!
Old 02-24-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Thanks to all so very much for the positive comments.

Apexorca, thank you for thinking about my system. What a great system you have. You are correct that I do have significant absorption in my room but not as much as I used to. The Alexx has a smoother treble and midrange than my previous speakers and has allowed me to make the room more diffuser, i.e. reflective which makes for a livelier sound. I am going to take your advice. There should be some firm around where I live. I suspect my room should be re-done for acoustics. At present I hear no problems either with bass boom at a particular frequency or with treble/midrange. Imaging and sound stage are very good and stable. Almost no grain or harshness. However, this doesn't mean there can't be room for very significant improvement. I'm going to have my room analyzed as you suggest. It is a good room because of its length of 40'. I have echo tunes on the rear ceiling and walls which are a long way away from my sweet spot. I have the Alexx optimized to interface with the Thor. If I wanted more bass from them they would be closer to the rear wall. At present I have a boost probably of 4-5 db at 40 Hz and 5-6 db at 25 Hz. Pretty flat down to well below 20 other than that. I don't find the bass boomy or objectionable and wouldn't want to reduce it. One of the main things the new subwoofer cables and power conditioner/cord did (also new power amp) was to increase the sensitivity/resolution of very soft bass notes all across the whole bass range. How are your Krells working out for you? Have you thought about Master Reference amps? They are among the finest ever produced.
I don't imagine anything else but your system is great. And probably the system have nothing in particular to replace for better sound. During these circumstances the acoustic and AC-power, ground etc almost always is the limitation. Often it's affordable to deal with this things compared to other investments in the system and very very fruitful. Thes things helps the other parts in the system to perform at their best.
It's not easy to realize that before you tried some different things. This is part of my own experience and I think its worth trying. (Friendly advice).

For sure Krell Master Reference are good, but you know, my Krell 350 Mc modified are to drive my Sf Guarneri Memento at work, so it's already kind of crazy system to have in a dental klinik.

My Krell are doing very well I think. The are still breaking in and it's about 120h right now.
I made a test a week ago and compared against my Gryphon. Gryphon is more liquid, smooth, more texture and more air in the presentation. Gryphon also has some more texture and power in the low frequencies. I feels like the bas is bigger and fills the room better. But this is something that has been a bit evened out during the break in period.
Krell loves when I play at about 100db. Gryphon starts to get problems when I play very loud and above 100-105db due to just 150 Watt class A. That is seldom though.

When Krell 350 MC are broken in they are up to a final test against Gryphon and then the will be moved to my dental clinic.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:58 PM

Do the street lights dim when you switch this system on?

Looks awesome!
Old 02-27-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ421291 View Post
Do the street lights dim when you switch this system on?

Looks awesome!
NZ2421291, Thank you so much for the compliment. It's true that I have always paid special attention to power, not so much cords and conditioners but the power powering the house. We have need for 100% reliable power around our house and we have quite a large house so we have quite a large generator (60kw). I do a lot of listening during the wee hours because my room has total isolation from rest of house and it's very quiet. Today we had an unexpected power outage (of itself very rare) but the generator immediately kicked in and saved us. This attention to the fuse box and house power has truly made a difference to my sound. Nevertheless, power cords and conditioners make a very significant contribution but you must begin if possible at the light pole, IMO.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexorca View Post
I don't imagine anything else but your system is great. And probably the system have nothing in particular to replace for better sound. During these circumstances the acoustic and AC-power, ground etc almost always is the limitation. Often it's affordable to deal with this things compared to other investments in the system and very very fruitful. Thes things helps the other parts in the system to perform at their best.
It's not easy to realize that before you tried some different things. This is part of my own experience and I think its worth trying. (Friendly advice).

For sure Krell Master Reference are good, but you know, my Krell 350 Mc modified are to drive my Sf Guarneri Memento at work, so it's already kind of crazy system to have in a dental klinik.

My Krell are doing very well I think. The are still breaking in and it's about 120h right now.
I made a test a week ago and compared against my Gryphon. Gryphon is more liquid, smooth, more texture and more air in the presentation. Gryphon also has some more texture and power in the low frequencies. I feels like the bas is bigger and fills the room better. But this is something that has been a bit evened out during the break in period.
Krell loves when I play at about 100db. Gryphon starts to get problems when I play very loud and above 100-105db due to just 150 Watt class A. That is seldom though.

When Krell 350 MC are broken in they are up to a final test against Gryphon and then the will be moved to my dental clinic.
Apexorca, Glad to hear the Krells are coming along. It's not surprising about the Gryphon being more nuanced than the Krells. But your Krell's retain special qualities that can't be beat by modern day amps. In my experience they have a "presence quality" that my Macs don't have, a special "live performance" quality that is unrivaled in my experience. I'm sure you have heard it and know what I mean. And your right: the louder you play the more prominent this quality becomes. These mono amps you have are special. Hang on to them. Don't ever sell them.

In regards to power, I have paid special attention to it. As you might have surmised from my above comment to NZ2421291 I use a Transguard TG60 whole house surge protector that protects the house from power surges including lightning. It has significant filtering of noise. And then I have a 400 amp fuse box (400 amp service) and a secondary fuse box providing the necessary circuits for my 4 dedicated 20 amp lines using number 10 wire. I agree that power conditioners and cords help but are no substitute for raw power. My system has zero audible hum and noise at 100% volume at all inputs with all equipment on except my tuner.

Last edited by Charles; 02-27-2019 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Apexorca, Glad to hear the Krells are coming along. It's not surprising about the Gryphon being more nuanced than the Krells. But your Krell's retain special qualities that can't be beat by modern day amps. In my experience they have a "presence quality" that my Macs don't have, a special "live performance" quality that is unrivaled in my experience. I'm sure you have heard it and know what I mean. And your right: the louder you play the more prominent this quality becomes. These mono amps you have are special. Hang on to them. Don't ever sell them.

In regards to power, I have paid special attention to it. As you might have surmised from my above comment to NZ2421291 I use a Transguard TG60 whole house surge protector that protects the house from power surges including lightning. It has significant filtering of noise. And then I have a 400 amp fuse box (400 amp service) and a secondary fuse box providing the necessary circuits for my 4 dedicated 20 amp lines using number 10 wire. I agree that power conditioners and cords help but are no substitute for raw power. My system has zero audible hum and noise at 100% volume at all inputs with all equipment on except my tuner.

That's a serious installation . That will make all details be revealed in the music.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:43 PM

Wow..an amazing system. I think Alexx was just right.
I hope to build Mcintosh System too.
May be C70+MC611+MCD600 to drive Maggie 3.7i that I already have.

Toga
Old 07-26-2019, 03:50 AM

Toga, I'm happy that you noticed and like my new system. Practically everything is new. I'm not expecting any upgrades for awhile, certainly not to my speakers or cabling or amps/preamp/DAC. I have a very easy relaxed non fatiguing sound yet very dynamic and highly resolving at the same time. This is the result of the solid silver Audioquest cabling, silver IC's, silver power cords (Dragons) and the power conditioners. It is very difficult for anything to sound harsh or grainy. I have certain CD's that I know to be very tough on the midrange. I rarely pull them out anymore because the edge just isn't there anymore. I like this a lot. Again, thanks for the comment. I hope that you will stay on the website. I enjoy your comments and your systems. You and Apexorca are true connoisseurs of the highend. You remind me of each other and both have unique and tremendous systems with the Q7's and The SF's being the linchpins. Be sure to look at the new pics I posted also. Last update was an Audioquest Diamond silver USB cable.

Last edited by Charles; 07-26-2019 at 04:12 AM.