AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 05-30-2013, 03:33 PM

The other time I heard this story about the "danger " of using non Switchcraft plugs was when I bought my Hommage T2.
Keith told me the same thing.
I have some trouble understanding what's happening exactly.
I thought that RCA plugs were a standard with norms. How could a male RCA plug could "damage " a female Switchcraft plug ?
Mystery mysteries.....
Old 05-30-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilNZ
At the end of the day it doesn't matter what they are made from. Ken Shindo recommends his cables for his equipment as it is supposed to be a 'system'. Too many audiophiles do just as Vinyljh says, and that is to try and patch or bandaid their systems with other cables.
I have seen a few Shindo preamps with damaged RCA sockets due to guys using 'fancy' locking rca plugs or somesuch. Without fail all of these people have approached building up their systems in such haphazard ways that they lose sight of the goal.
Ultimately anyone can do what they want, but to realise the best out of any Shindo gear, follow the recommendations of the manufacturer, he does know best.
I do not agree Neil.
Shindo IC cables are advertised on Matt's web as made of pure silver. If this is not the case, this is again disinformation and the same story goes as with the tubes labeling....

A customer has the right to know what he buys. If a product is advertised as being pure silver, then it should be made of pure silver and not silver coated copper. Honesty is a word that exists also in Japan I think.

Last edited by Jerome W; 05-30-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:47 PM
alive and kickin'

jerome, calm down. Using "ifs" can get a mine field. There is absolutely no reason to not trust the information from Matt's website.

As far as I can see in my Shindo cables, they are made of pure silver; braid pattern on the outer ring, single wire in the center; symmetrical construction as stated here : Shindo Labs Essentials
Old 05-30-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riesling View Post
jerome, calm down. Using "ifs" can get a mine field. There is absolutely no reason to not trust the information from Matt's website.

As far as I can see in my Shindo cables, they are made of pure silver; braid pattern on the outer ring, single wire in the center; symmetrical construction as stated here : Shindo Labs Essentials
Speaker cables are made of silver.
I know several persons who wanted to change the plugs on ICs and discovered that they are in fact made of silver coated copper.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:00 PM
alive and kickin'

I wrote about interconnects that are real and in my possession.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:15 PM

Shindo cables are indeed pure silver. Always have been. Plenty of fakes are floating around... if the cable purchased was silver coated copper, it was not a Shindo cable.

A23 is copper. Not that it matters, its about the result, not the material.

Riesling is 100% correct as is Neil. Cellindo- we do not at all agree. Or maybe its better to say we agree to disagree.

Whatever makes you happy is cool with me. If someone wants to know how to use the products correctly i.e. as it was designed- speak with a dealer that knows these products and he can pass along the information from the creator of the equipment. If you choose to EQ it and you like that version of it, thats cool. At the end of the day its whatever makes you happy. Its just not better in an absolute sense, it is indeed a EQ of the original design- you're changing the electrical load as well as creating an electrical current by using a non Switchcraft connectors. And for sure the contacts can be destroyed easily. Switchcraft to Switchcraft, WBT to WBT, Cardas to Cardas etc. etc. Engineering 101- like materials for starters, not to mention connectors that fit each other. RCA's have no standard. Locking RCA's are possibly one of the dumbest and worst sounding audiophile inventions... although I guess I can say that about a lot of things:-)

Jonathan
Old 05-30-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riesling View Post
I wrote about interconnects that are real and in my possession.
How do you know that they are made of pure silver ? Did you remove the connectors to access the cable ?

Maybe that Shindo changed the material used since a few years. The people I'm talking about bought their cables from authorized Shindo dealers, but that was a few years ago. From what I learned today, Laurent's cable was also made of copper coated with silver.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:23 PM

Hi all:
Without getting into the current sticky wicket, I have tried to run "Shindo" cable where it seems most like it should. I use Shindo I/C from my SUT to the Masseto and then to the Montille. My other I/C lines are all Black Cat LectraLine (silver solid core). I use the A23 speaker cables. Therefore, I have tried what I consider a value approach (granted I may be losing out in that final 5%, but I have other areas that may impact as well), with Shindo attention to what I listen most - analog...
Best, jdk
Old 05-30-2013, 04:50 PM

Oh hell. Mine are chocolate covered peanut butter!
Old 05-30-2013, 05:08 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev313 View Post
Oh hell. Mine are chocolate covered peanut butter!
The best combination, without question!