AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 09-01-2014, 06:12 AM
A happy little vegemite..

Oh very nice ^^^

For me, this:

Just downloaded from Quboz (trying to help it keep going...)

Lovely playing - whimsical and playful. Actually quite beautiful.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach

Last edited by AndyPandy; 09-01-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:31 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Listening to . . . Beethoven - Symphony No. 3 "Eroica"

London Symphony Orchestra - Leopold Stokowski, Conductor

Listening through my Stax headphones* - picking up every nuance of Stokowski's marvelous reading of this, one of my favorite symphonies. Even, if they say, Stokowski "made up" about half of what he played, he really does this beautifully.

I like it!

*Sometimes in the early morning, I listen to music apt to become loud through headphones, so I don't wake up the other folks in the house.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 09-01-2014, 09:19 AM

Listening to . . . Mendelssohn - Concerto in E major for Two Pianos and Orchestra
Concerto in A minor for Piano and Strings

Brenda Lucas and John Ogden - Pianos
Academy of St. Martin in the Fields - Neville Marriner, Conductor

This music is beautiful. The sound is excellent and the performances are superb.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 09-01-2014, 03:21 PM
Life is beautiful

Some brilliant piano playing here:

Scriabin - Yevgeny Sudbin

Recording is excellent too, typical BIS.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 09-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Life is beautiful

More Russian piano:

Rachmaninov Études - Tableaux - Preludes
Nikolai Lugansky & Marietta Petkova, piano

Brilliant from Brilliant Classics.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 09-01-2014, 05:41 PM
Life is beautiful

From time to time I like to undertake a musical travel, in the company of Jordi Savall and his La Capella Reial de Catalunya:

Dinastia Borgia

3 SACDs and a DVD.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:58 PM

Listening to the reissue jubilee set of Beethoven - The Nine Symphonies (1963)

Currently listening to Disc 3 - The marvelous 5th Symphony - in the process of ripping the discs onto my Olive thing.

Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra - Herbert von Karajan, Conductor

On Five excellent sounding Deutsche Grammophon CDs. This is reputedly the best of von Karajan's Beethoven Symphony recordings and it probably sits near the top of a great big pile of everybody's symphonies.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:08 PM

Revisiting this one:
Corelli: Opus 5: Vioin Sonatas
The Avison Ensemble
Linn Records 2013 via 24/192 download

I know some of you have some or all of this series of Corelli recordings by the Avison Ensemble on Linn, but if you're missing any of them I highly recommend them all: excellent performances and wonderful sound on all 4 albums.

D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 09-01-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
Good morning, everyone. Now that I am done with a speaker cable shoot out that compelled me to listen to the same music over and over again, I can actually play music for enjoyment.

Disc 8 of 11 in a complete symphony set
Symphony No. 29 in A major, K201
Symphony No. 28 in C major, K200
Symphony No. 33 in B flat major, K319
The English Concert, Trevor Pinnock

These are some of the "junior" Mozart symphonies, but still extraordinary. No. 29 is especially fine and played with eloquence by Pinnok and his English Concert forces. With my recent system upgrades I'm hearing more accents and details out of this recording that makes it even more enjoyable to listen. The 1994 Archiv recording is of excellent quality.
Tonight I'm enjoying disc #7 of 11 which includes symphonies #24-25 & #30-31. Just splendid and very nicely recorded.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:04 PM

Trio No.1 today in a passionate performance. The recording is good, but the highest violin notes betray some early 80s "digititis"!