AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Meridian Audio

Meridian Audio Listen Closely

Old 08-11-2012, 09:56 PM

IMHO, Sooloos interface is the best I have seen/heard because the GUI surpasses the standard Folder & file browser (which breaks down with large collections), it has a scalable storage solution (already mentioned in this thread), plus the AMG metadata integration allows a very, very deep search/swim functionality.

Passionate music lovers designed/implemented this system, it is obvious to me.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
Unscrupulous music listeners are everywhere. It's nice to see someone cares.

My goal is to get the best recording possible. Which means I end up purchasing most of my music.
Wow! Suddenly I became an UNSCRUPULOUS music listener!

Seriously, I dont even know having a CD and ripping it off, then selling it becomes a problem (including borrowing one). Question is what happen about LOST CD's? Does that mean one had to delete off the music file too?

If so, borrowing a CD to listen is also being unscrupulous as one enjoy by not buying it ... in a way isnt it

What about downloaded - paid for Hi-Rez music? One dont owned the medium either and I have a at least a couple hundred of them from HD Tracks. Do I have to remove these too?

Anyway, I learnt something along the way. The SAFEST would be to play VINYL as you dont own the medium, you never get to listen to the music. Plain HONEST music listener one becomes.

Maybe this would be the reason I can use to sell my entire Meridian Digital System and look at a new system where everything had to have hard copies before one can enjoy the music.

Well, I have a new TT (Dr Fieckert FireBird coming any day now), an Avantgarde Acoustics Model 3 Integrated amp, keep the Oppo 95 and get a nice tuner like an Accuphase T1100 or Magnum MD109 and a pair of Avantgarde Acoustics DUO (Grosso or Mezzo - the PRIMO is out of my reach) and then later think of the SACD/CD player after taking stock of how much I have forked out.

That should turn me back to a honest music listener I guess. Now to see if this idea can fly by my wife .... "Being Honest had its use today!

Hope my wife wont called me DUMB!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 08-11-2012, 10:57 PM

Jerry (JSCC)... No matter which way you look at it, if the music was not paid for, it is theft. If a person no longer has the original source material & are still using a backup copy, it is also theft.

The court's ruling in The Recording Industry Association of America v. Verizon Internet Services, entertainment companies have the right to get an individual's name, address and phone number if they have evidence he or she is using the Internet to get or pass on their copyrighted works. This includes solicitation of the activity. They can then use this information to pursue legal action against those who download or upload the illegally obtained music files.

In other words, you want to careful about what you say & do on the Internet including here especially if it has connotations of conducting an illegal activity.

I would suggest that you did not do anything wrong but rather, were contemplating the consequences of not managing your own digital library properly.

Stealing music is against the law. For centuries, civilized societies have granted artists, authors and other creative people the right to own and control the original work they produce, be it paintings, poems, songs or any other form of literary or artistic expression. In the United States, copyright protection is guaranteed under the Constitution as well as the Copyright Act. Recorded music is specifically protected by these laws, which means it is against the law to make unauthorized reproductions, distributions or digital transmissions of copyrighted sound recordings. The penalties for breaking these laws are stiff, particularly when digital recordings are involved. Criminal penalties for first-time offenders can be as high as five years in prison and $250,000 in fines. Civil penalties can run into many thousands of dollars in damages and legal fees. The minimum penalty is $750 per song.

Stealing music betrays the songwriters and recording artists who create it. A lot of people who copy and distribute music illegally try to rationalize their behavior by arguing that the people who make recordings are all rich anyway, and that music should be free. For the artist, the hard work requires not only a major emotional and intellectual commitment, but also long hours, intense concentration and real financial risk. We like to talk about the imagination, soul and courage involved in creative work. But making music is also about career and financial well-being.

Stealing music stifles the careers of new artists and up-and-coming bands. Another rationalization for stealing music is that illegal copying is a victimless crime that really doesn't hurt anyone. Tell that to the struggling young musicians in a garage band who can't get signed because record sales are down. Or tell it to the young singer-songwriter whose career dead-ends because people would rather download his or her music for free. Making records is an expensive undertaking. So is building a career. If people aren't willing to pay for the music they love, the record companies will find it increasingly difficult to commit the kind of resources it takes to discover and develop new talent.

Stealing music threatens the livelihood of the thousands of working people - from recording engineers to record-store clerks - who are employed in the music industry. Songwriters and artists, whether established or up-and-coming, aren't the only people hurt by illegal copying. In the United States alone, the music industry employs some 50,000 people, and very few of them are rich rock stars. Stealing music also threatens the livelihoods of the thousands of technicians, CD-plant workers, warehousemen and other non-musicians who are employed in the music business helping to create and deliver the music you love.

As fellow Audio Aficionados, our mandate is to keep the music playing. You can only do this by supporting the artists you love.

Last edited by MyPal; 08-11-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:57 PM

Old 08-11-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
Jerry (JSCC)... No matter which way you look at it, if the music was not paid for, it is theft. If a person no longer has the original source material & are still using a backup copy, it is also theft.

The court's ruling in The Recording Industry Association of America v. Verizon Internet Services, entertainment companies have the right to get an individual's name, address and phone number if they have evidence he or she is using the Internet to get or pass on their copyrighted works. This includes solicitation of the activity. They can then use this information to pursue legal action against those who download or upload the illegally obtained music files.

In other words, you want to careful about what you say & do on the Internet including here especially if it has connotations of conducting an illegal activity.

I would suggest that you did not do anything wrong but rather, were contemplating the consequences of not managing your own digital library properly.

Stealing music is against the law. For centuries, civilized societies have granted artists, authors and other creative people the right to own and control the original work they produce, be it paintings, poems, songs or any other form of literary or artistic expression. In the United States, copyright protection is guaranteed under the Constitution as well as the Copyright Act. Recorded music is specifically protected by these laws, which means it is against the law to make unauthorized reproductions, distributions or digital transmissions of copyrighted sound recordings. The penalties for breaking these laws are stiff, particularly when digital recordings are involved. Criminal penalties for first-time offenders can be as high as five years in prison and $250,000 in fines. Civil penalties can run into many thousands of dollars in damages and legal fees. The minimum penalty is $750 per song.

Stealing music betrays the songwriters and recording artists who create it. A lot of people who copy and distribute music illegally try to rationalize their behavior by arguing that the people who make recordings are all rich anyway, and that music should be free. For the artist, the hard work requires not only a major emotional and intellectual commitment, but also long hours, intense concentration and real financial risk. We like to talk about the imagination, soul and courage involved in creative work. But making music is also about career and financial well-being.

Stealing music stifles the careers of new artists and up-and-coming bands. Another rationalization for stealing music is that illegal copying is a victimless crime that really doesn't hurt anyone. Tell that to the struggling young musicians in a garage band who can't get signed because record sales are down. Or tell it to the young singer-songwriter whose career dead-ends because people would rather download his or her music for free. Making records is an expensive undertaking. So is building a career. If people aren't willing to pay for the music they love, the record companies will find it increasingly difficult to commit the kind of resources it takes to discover and develop new talent.

Stealing music threatens the livelihood of the thousands of working people - from recording engineers to record-store clerks - who are employed in the music industry. Songwriters and artists, whether established or up-and-coming, aren't the only people hurt by illegal copying. In the United States alone, the music industry employs some 50,000 people, and very few of them are rich rock stars. Stealing music also threatens the livelihoods of the thousands of technicians, CD-plant workers, warehousemen and other non-musicians who are employed in the music business helping to create and deliver the music you love.

As fellow Audio Aficionados, our mandate is to keep the music playing. You can only do this by supporting the artists you love.
Yes, "My Pal", I got the message, loud and clear.

Dont own the disc anymore, THEFT! DELETE!

BUT no one answered my questions on HD Tracks! I paid for it. No discs. Is this theft?

Yeah, I am DUMB alright!

So off goes my 4k of music files. BUT I wont delete the Hi-Rez files unless I am sure cause this is what I paid for! Legally downloaded. BUT no discs.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCC View Post
Yes, "My Pal", I got the message, loud and clear.

Dont own the disc anymore, THEFT! DELETE!

BUT no one answered my questions on HD Tracks! I paid for it. No discs. Is this theft?

Yeah, I am DUMB alright!

So off goes my 4k of music files. BUT I wont delete the Hi-Rez files unless I am sure cause this is what I paid for! Legally downloaded. BUT no discs.
You are good No worries.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
You are good No worries.
Thanks Joe.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:58 AM
Rebellious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCC View Post
Thanks Joe.
Okay now that is over with.

Do you think you would be able to post a video on how the Meridian Sooloos System is the best? A simple recording of how you play a song and what it looks like from your end when you enjoy your music.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 08-12-2012, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
Okay now that is over with.

Do you think you would be able to post a video on how the Meridian Sooloos System is the best? A simple recording of how you play a song and what it looks like from your end when you enjoy your music.

Thanks.

Bill
Hi Bill,

Much as I wanted to do that, I simply dont know how. I cant even know how to post a picture properly without the help from others, much less a video. And thats the truth!

Music and gear appreciation to me is a very personal thing. One man's meat could well be not another man's fancy. We can always argue till the cow comes home and still cant understand each other's point well enough to agree. Thats probably why there are so many brands out there performing the same task and yet garnering different reviewer's and user's point of view.

I also need to be careful, like what "MyPal" advised, and I quote,

"In other words, you want to careful about what you say & do on the Internet including here especially if it has connotations of conducting an illegal activity."

So, I dont really know if I will be infringing on another issue.

Seriously, I do love what Meridian had provided for me all along these two long years as I have never been able to keep to my system for long for the musical pleasure and ease of use. For sure, I am not a good writer on how to describe what good sound is, though I am able to differentiate what I like as against what I dont.

Right now, I am busily ripping a huge chunk of CD's I managed to "salvage" from this sale at one of the local joints, even though its at 30% of the usual price. Of course, I am never able going to get back all 4000 of it (there are some I dont like anyway), but still, I will do what I best can on those CD's I have always loved and silly enough to sell or give away in the past year or two. Not to mention, brand new ones.

I wonder if this is "God's hands at work" as while I delete the files, I got this call from friends to go down this place to buy CD's. Or maybe, the good Lord took pity on my stupidity! Anyway, this is going to take me a few weeks or more to completely rip, including searching and pasting the nice artwork into my Sooloos again!

Looking at the brighter side of things, I did salvaged a portion of my deleted files by spending a sizeable sum of monies. The bad part is having to build a new cabinet to house more than 1000+ CD's today and even more later for future purchases of CD's and Vinyl. Although its at 30% or more of what they usually costs, I have a daunting task to explain to my wife how I came back with so many carton boxes of CD's and why my VISA shot up by a few thousand dollars in one transaction and its not amplifiers purchase! Of course, friends who took my CD's for free now returned them to me, tonight!

So do excuse me as I have a big issue on my hand and a tough time explaining how I am in this "busy situation". I hope I will be creative enough to escape this tonight, pray so!

From now on "HDTracks" will be my favourite store to go to AFTER I completed this surmountable task, so as to minimise storage problems. Then to Amazon to hunt down the remaining CD's that were not found in HDTracks, new or used.

Once again, my apologies for not being able to post the 'simple video' you requested. And to stay out of trouble in future, I shall limit myself to just reading from now on. Like a saying goes, its always good to open one's eyes and ears and talk less. In my case, I must add to write less and be less dumb.

Yes, I am sore, very sore about the whole situation and I have no one else to blame but myself for being a "big mouth". BUT I dont think I am an 'unscrupulous" person. Still, being dumb is no excuse.

So, its more like a "swan song" for me in active participation.

Its not about the monies as I can still afford it, its about keeping my family harmonious, cause for sure tonight, I am in deep shit (pardon the word) on how to explain my way through. I suppose the only excuse/reason I can say is, I am still VERY3 passionate with my hobby and I promise to stay away from some of the others like watches! Praying hard my wife buy into this reason. if not, I may just head to the lawyer's office - for the worse to come tomorrow morning!

I will still stay in touch in this forum - if I can manage to come out unscathed. I will still visit this forum from time to time, but more as a reader than penning my thoughts or sharing my happiness once in a while on my new found purchase - in this case, the yet to be delivered Dr Feickert Firebird. BUT I'll have to see what develop tonight and for the coming months, if I ever can find time, cause I know, my wife will find me tasks to keep me busy.

So, bye for now. I dont think anyone will miss me much. Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sale.jpg (55.0 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by JSCC; 08-12-2012 at 06:33 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:01 AM
Rebellious!

Whoa whoa! We all run our lips from time to time.

All is forgiven!