AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PMC Speakers

PMC Speakers UK's Finest

Old 12-13-2011, 02:20 PM
musiclovingearenthusiast!

Default Dynaudio to PMC FB1i?

Hi all. First post to the PMC group; mainly because I don’t own PMCs…lol. However, I am seriously considering them.

For the past few years, I’ve been a Dynaudio man; started with Focus 140s, moved up the line to Contour S1.4s…and currently have Special 25s. The 25s are special indeed…but fussy; fussy about placement, fussy about the room…fussy about electronics upstream (not that I have garbage gear), and fussy about source material (in other words, they are pretty revealing…IMO…about anything less than the best-mastered titles).

While I have my share of great-sounding, audiophile fodder…lol…I also tend to dig titles that are decidedly lo-fi, but otherwise excellent listening. With these choices, the 25s can be downright grating at times. So I’ve decided I need more of an "all-around" performer; something easy on the ears, without making me think I’m sacrificing detail and transparency. Also, I like my bass…and the Dyn monitors were excellent in this regard, IMO; please…no polite, bass-shy speakers for me.

I have a friend, with more or less the same sensibilities, when it comes to listening (a mix of hi and lo-fi)…and he had the same trouble with the 25s. He switched to PMC OB1i and loves them. With that experience, and PMCs excellent rep…I’m thinking about giving them a try. While I’m leaning toward going back to a floor-stander, his room is a bit larger than mine…so I’m thinking an FB1i is more my speed.

Can anyone comment, and/or compare/contrast Dynaudio v. PMC for me? I don’t need Special 25s v. FB1i specifically (although if anyone has heard both these speakers, and can comment on their differences…that would be awesome!). Just the Dynaudio sound, versus what I can expect with these PMC 2-ways?

FWIW, I’m also considering Aerial Acoustics (either a model 6 or 7), and maybe Focal/JM Lab…like a Micro or Diva Utopia. So if anything can comment on their sound, it would be much appreciated (like “if you were a fan of Dynaudio, I don’t see how you’d possibly like the Focal/JMs sound…or something along those lines).

TIA,
Old 12-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Okay.

if you were a fan of Dynaudio, I don’t see how you’d possibly like the Focal/JMs sound.

If I were you, CD, I would seriously consider a pair of Contour S3.4s and call it day.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Okay.

if you were a fan of Dynaudio, I don’t see how you’d possibly like the Focal/JMs sound.

If I were you, CD, I would seriously consider a pair of Contour S3.4s and call it day.
My concern PC...is once you've gone Esotar, is there any going back...lol. And 5.4s are WAYYY too big for my room.

When I was A/B-ing the S1.4s and S25s, I could immediately sense the loss. As you know, the Esotar is a great tweeter; detailed yet delicate. OTOH, the S1.4s were more of that all-around performer. Highs (performance) weren't as high, but the lows weren't as low either.

Some have speculated that the Contour revamp is right around the corner. That would be great, but of course Mick won't/can't say. IDK...I've enjoyed my ride with Dyn, and may certainly come back; but I can't say I'm not curious about other quality brands.

The Focal/JM is what, much, much brighter than I'll be used to with Dyn?
Old 12-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Out of respect for the PMC forum, we should take this offline, CD, but just because you've had Esotars doesn't mean you can't go back to Esotec tweeers. The 3.4s are one of Dyns best balanced and most coherent in their lineup. Just ask Dynero. You could also upgrade them to Esotaer with the Dyn mobile Esotar 110 if you had to. There always C1s to consider,too.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:26 PM

I know very well the PMC sound and although I never owned Dyns, I know their general strengths rather well because they can be found almost anywhere in France.
Both brands are very neutral, in the sense that they don't try to "impress" the listener and shine when the record does not shine. They don't give more bass than what is on the disc and I like that because I get easily tired of "extraverted" speakers and people in general !
I love both Dyns and PMC's but I tend to favpr PMC a bit because they are slightly, very slightly warmer and forgiving. And they tend to be also slightly less analytical.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
I know very well the PMC sound and although I never owned Dyns, I know their general strengths rather well because they can be found almost anywhere in France.
Both brands are very neutral, in the sense that they don't try to "impress" the listener and shine when the record does not shine. They don't give more bass than what is on the disc and I like that because I get easily tired of "extraverted" speakers and people in general !
I love both Dyns and PMC's but I tend to favpr PMC a bit because they are slightly, very slightly warmer and forgiving. And they tend to be also slightly less analytical.
Merci, Jerome!
Old 12-13-2011, 05:27 PM

Please feel free to post anything on here... PMC can hold its own very competently against Dyn. We see them in studios here and there... We've replaced quite a few high profile pro clients monitors with our actvive systems

Personally, as a hifi enthusiast, I find Dyn to be quite colored. Being in the biz, I get to hear quite a bit of speakers... They're good at hyping the low end, and making your less than flattering albums sound good, but they also tend to make astonishing recordings just sound good too... If you want to dig deep into a recording I think you may want to look elsewhere.

Depending on the size of your room, you may want to check out the 23's. They're a bit less and can really pack a wallop given their pygmy stature.

The twenty's have been quoted to perform in a "truly revealing, yet utterly listenable way that is kinda rare."... Check them out, let me know what you think.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian@pmc View Post
Please feel free to post anything on here... PMC can hold its own very competently against Dyn. We see them in studios here and there... We've replaced quite a few high profile pro clients monitors with our actvive systems

Personally, as a hifi enthusiast, I find Dyn to be quite colored. Being in the biz, I get to hear quite a bit of speakers... They're good at hyping the low end, and making your less than flattering albums sound good, but they also tend to make astonishing recordings just sound good too... If you want to dig deep into a recording I think you may want to look elsewhere.

Depending on the size of your room, you may want to check out the 23's. They're a bit less and can really pack a wallop given their pygmy stature.

The twenty's have been quoted to perform in a "truly revealing, yet utterly listenable way that is kinda rare."... Check them out, let me know what you think.
Interesting; my 25s are anything but. They are totally unforgiving of anything less than the best-mastered, audiophile offerings; that's part of the problem.

Then again...I believe they, and Sapphires...are the two models that stray from the Dyn "house" sound. I did find both the F140s and S1.4s to be more forgiving, and I'm OK with that. As long as it doesn't feel colored, or veiled; I never found that to be the case.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:43 PM

I have yet to have the pleasure of checking out the Special Twenty Five...
Old 12-13-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian@pmc View Post
I have yet to have the pleasure of checking out the Special Twenty Five...
Feed it the right stuff...and it runs like a Thoroughbred.

Try to slip her the "wrong" stuff...she creaks like a ship.