AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2021, 01:38 PM

Default Weighing in at a svelte 180 pounds ... my new turntable (and phono pre)!

I previously had the Clear Audio Innovation (Wood), which I really liked. I had it put away while I was doing a renovation on our home, but I admit that the glow had faded for me. It took me a little while to get it set up after I returned, but I got it running and had a setup guy do things professionally, so it was sounding pretty good. Then, the damn thing went basically dead one Saturday night while I had some of the few friends who actually care for this stuff over. I have returned the Clear Audio to the dealer and then to Clear Audio to have that thing sorted (and sold by the dealer). That was the end of that one and I got what I really wanted.

What I really wanted was the J. Sikora Standard Max, in silver (with a brass insert). I heard the Initial (lower level) last year and I was struck by world class workmanship at something (not a lot) less than world class prices. I also wanted to end up with two arms (which I am maintaining with my wife are absolutely necessary to sonic purity). So, I located a demo copy here in the states and after much ado, it finally arrived last week and was installed last weekend.

I paired it with the J. Sikora Kevlar uni-pivot arm, which I really like. Given the current abysmal state of my audio bank account, I used my current Lyra > Kleos cartridge on that arm. Sikora originally paired their tables with Kuzma arms (before they made their own arms). That was my initial desire for a second arm, but for whatever reason, I went with an arm from a different manufacturer, which by all reports should have done just fine. Then, it shows up and the copy I received was NOT THE SAME as the one on the internet and, even worse, the documentation didn’t match the arm. Turns out it needed a lifter that did not ship with it, and after a hopeful trip to Home Depot on Sunday morning, that didn’t work, I ditched the whole thing. I have a Kuzma 4point11 on the way, so the second arm should be situated in the next few weeks.

Last fall, I had purchased the LampiZator MC2 phono pre (which made all of this fussing around even more painful, because I couldn't listen to a table with my new phono stage). The MC2 Silver (supports XLR and RCA and multiple arms) has that wonderful tube sound and was engineered by Lukasz Ficus (who also does their DACs). I heard the “alpha” version of it this time last year, so I was sure of the sound signature it would deliver. Like all of the Lampi stuff, the aesthetics are a few steps (but not too many) above DIY aesthetics, but that’s somehow part of what appeals to me. Basically, the sound of the phono pre was — in my unsophisticated mind as far as these things go — the analog version of the LampiZator Pacific, with which I am head over heels in love.

As to sound quality, the combination vastly exceeds my expectations. I really never thought I would get the system to this level. Relaxed, detailed, depth, breadth, just awesome. It only took about 7 months (from the time I put my Accuphase phono pre up for sale) to get it sorted, but it was worth the work. Now, I can just sit back and clean records and listen to all of the vinyl I purchased over the last couple of years while I had no way to listen to it!

Here's a picture of the J. Sikora, which really does weigh 180 pounds. It's a damn beast for sure, but the sound is incredible. I guess I have an all-Polish analog front end, which sounds great. Highly recommended:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 437c2e4f-4685-48b4-a3b7-d5d97f1a5edd.JPG (85.9 KB, 352 views)