AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 09-21-2021, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcity View Post
On that note, this from Dennis just the other day,

“Scott, after all these months with the FA1 speakers (w/ Fostex FE126) in line, I can NOT listen to anything else in my listening room. They are that good!!!! They continue to improve. That lil ole driver is amazing with your cabinet design.”

Of course that “lil ole driver” needed Dennis’s genius with electronics and such to refine the whole project to where it is today.
Synergy works every time.
Old 10-16-2021, 02:20 AM

If these arent going to make it to production, any chance of a possible flatpack kit? Or diy option??

Cheers

Simon
Old 10-18-2021, 11:18 AM

Has anyone ran Tekton speakers with their Inspire? I have been eyeing the Perfect SET 12 for some time now. The Mid/high tweeter array intrigues me a bit…

Cheers
Old 11-09-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonatsea View Post
Has anyone ran Tekton speakers with their Inspire? I have been eyeing the Perfect SET 12 for some time now. The Mid/high tweeter array intrigues me a bit…

Cheers
Did you sell your KEFs?
Old 11-10-2021, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
Did you sell your KEFs?
Still have my Kefs, surprisingly my Inspire drives them better than a Audio note kit EL34 push pull amp I’ve been toying with lately, that pushes a whopping 35 watts with c core transformers. I was pretty surprised.

Always looking for a speaker a little more suited for the Inspire gear though.
Old 11-11-2021, 12:04 AM

Has anyone watched any of the Danny Ritchey, of GR Research, videos posted on YouTube? Where people have sent in many different speakers to have him evaluate their construction quality and potentially upgrade them.

It is fascinating, and shocking, to see how many well-regarded and expensive speakers are using extremely cheap parts. Especially in their crossover networks. Speakers costing $4000, $5000, $6000+ from companies like Harbeth and Paradigm. Using parts that one might find in a common parts bin. Cheap iron-core inductor coils, bottom of the line resistors, low-grade capacitors, and common hardware store variety wiring.

It is actually rare when he finds good quality parts.

Sometimes he finds low quality speaker drivers too, and lots of speaker design issues, such as edge defraction and poor grill designs.

Makes me appreciate my Von Schweikert speakers, which were upgraded many years ago at the factory with Hovland capacitors, Solen air-core inductors, Eagle metal-film resistors, and Analysis Plus 9AWG internal wiring. They also have three-layer cabinets with an internal thick layer of putty to deaden them. This makes them weigh 155 pounds each, but it is very good for the sound quality. Some of the speakers he takes apart are made of half-inch cheap particle board, the low grade stuff from Home Depot.

I'm not surprised he finds low quality parts in $200-$300 speakers, but sometimes he finds those same parts buried inside of $5000 speakers.

Last edited by Bombadil; 11-11-2021 at 12:13 AM.
Old 11-11-2021, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonatsea View Post
If these arent going to make it to production, any chance of a possible flatpack kit? Or diy option??

Cheers

Simon

Simon,

We have 3 pair all but ready for market but life is getting in the way. Both Dennis and are I dealing with issues that sadly take president over this joyful hobby of ours. Hopefully soon but I said that months ago as well. Stay tuned.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
Has anyone watched any of the Danny Ritchey, of GR Research, videos posted on YouTube? Where people have sent in many different speakers to have him evaluate their construction quality and potentially upgrade them...
Yes. In the last video this week the VA Mozart (std non-grand version) lighter wood color speaker on the right belongs to a good friend. Two months prior, we upgraded the crossovers with mid grade $15-$20 caps during a repair, woofers had brand new voice coils and surrounds too. Sounded decent before he sent them in to GR, still seeking an even higher level result by a pro.

If you noticed, in both GR videos Danny was a bit perplexed as to why the std lower cost Mozart speaker on the right measured out much better and much flatter frequency response than the thousand dollar higher Grand model on the left. My friend did eventually let Danny know those were not original parts when he sent them in. Shows even mild parts upgrades can help some times.

Today my buddy just received several huge coils and Sonicaps and internal wiring in the GR upgrade kit. The crossover updates in the redesign and final test graph showed a dip removed at the low-high crossover point and now shows an even flatter and higher impedance than before the x-over redesign.

Hopefully this should work better with my friend's tube amp. It was a next level experiment to see what a reasonable cost redesign and parts upgrade might do.
Should know more soon.

Last edited by decooney; 11-23-2021 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:18 PM

Interesting.

I'm not surprised that by upgrading the junk-level parts found in many speakers to mid-level makes a difference. I would expect more of a difference in that step than from mid-level to high-level.
Old 11-29-2021, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcity View Post
Simon,

We have 3 pair all but ready for market but life is getting in the way. Both Dennis and are I dealing with issues that sadly take president over this joyful hobby of ours. Hopefully soon but I said that months ago as well. Stay tuned.
Sorry, I missed this. Thanks for getting back to me. Hope all is going well for you guys down there. Life get in the way of hobbies?! I fully understand. I’ll stay tuned for updates.

Cheers