AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 07-06-2021, 01:44 PM
Retired

Default Gardening, anyone?

Anyone else like to garden?
I've been primarily into azaleas and rhodos along with ornamental trees like dogwood, Japanese maples, magnolias and Carolina Silver Bell. But, expanded my front beds over the last couple of years and put in roses (Knockout & bare-root hybrids - only been in the ground for ~3wks), Asian & day lilies, iris, black-eyed Susans, etc. Adding & moving Hostas, lillies of the valley, but mostly just enjoying and watering now in the heat of the summer. More planting & relocating this fall.
Two friends are also gardeners, but they are primarily into veggies in raised beds. But, being in the middle of the veggie/fruit growing region of the "Garden State", that doesn't hold much interest for me. Easy enough to drive 10min to one of many veggie stands.
Bright noon-day sun has washed out my cell-phone camera on all but the rose. Lillies are much more colorful then they appear.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg coral rose.jpeg (199.3 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpeg Lillies.jpeg (253.3 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpeg Front.jpeg (380.1 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpeg left roses.jpeg (363.1 KB, 113 views)
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 07-06-2021, 02:22 PM

Beautiful Glenn. I’m not into gardening but my wife is, and I’m very much into enjoying the fruits of her labor. She’s the master gardener, I dig holes and put up arbors where instructed. Here’s a sampling.

IMG_2584.jpgIMG_2583.jpgIMG_2580.jpgIMG_2577.jpgIMG_2575.jpgIMG_2558.jpgnIMG_2523.jpgIMG_2625.jpg
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 07-06-2021, 04:31 PM
Retired

Thanks, Tony.
Very nice. Wish I could work that deal with my spouse. But, she is content to have cut flowers whenever she can (roses & lace-top hydrangea at the moment). I hire casual labor when its time to mulch or rake leaves.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 07-06-2021, 08:15 PM

Beautiful gardens, gentlemen!
TAD Reference One MK2 Loudspeakers, Esoteric Grandioso M1 Monoblock Amplifiers, Esoteric Grandioso C1 Linestage Preamplifier, SilenZio Music Server, Shunyata Everest 8000 x 3, Omega XC x 3, Omega QR x 2, Furutech GTX-D NCF(R) AC Receptacles
Old 07-06-2021, 11:41 PM

Avid gardener here Glenn. Yours and Tony’s landscaping looks great.

Here are a few pics of my latest work. I like intermixing hardscape into my gardening. Finally got around to building a small wall around my blue spruce. Since it’s difficult growing anything under pines I will next year put more pots. Everything is on a 12 zone watering system which saves hours of watering time. Eventually I want to hook up a automatic fertilizer system to my watering system. I reconstructed the patio area at the end of last year and planted this spring. I’m currently away this week but when I get home I’ll post pics of this area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0A0BD6E8-5BF0-4A7A-8A85-853F278DC160.jpg (2.42 MB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 5C27A4A9-F873-4EB1-AD7E-DA611043F64B.jpg (2.55 MB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 5273B0D8-21C0-4812-873B-C681046065CC.jpg (2.48 MB, 43 views)

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500
Old 07-07-2021, 12:18 AM

Beautiful - love the vines on the brickwork too.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 07-07-2021, 07:10 AM
Retired

Great look. We do a number of things in pots. Petunias, geraniums, daisies, etc. Hibiscus that wintered over in the sun room have glorious foliage but not a single bud this year.

With out new beds we used a full pallet of random flag stone. Spring mulch was 6yds.
We are currently deciding between pavers and a wood deck for our back. We put a new 8x8 treated wood surround and reset the old pavers last fall, but not satisfied with that. Probably going with pavers. The 5 pieces of 8"x8"x12' edge were just under $500, total last fall. Out of curiosity I priced them again a couple of weeks ago. Was told, "if we can get them will be over $300, each". Not a good time to need wood.
Old 07-07-2021, 11:36 AM

I’m right there with you on the mulch. Between the new bed and not mulching last year I put down over 7 yds. The house faces east so 20 plus pots, hanging baskets, and hanging bags in the front are new guinea impatiens. Each year we do a color theme, this year was orange one our favorite.

In the back we have a cement walkout patio that leads to a paver patio. I’ve thought about using pavers or a trex deck to cover the cement but that will probably be within the next year or two. The more lumber goes up the more economically the other choices become.

Last year around the back patio is where I did the relandscaping. I had a 12’ high trellis that I build around 15 years ago that walled off one side of the patio. On this trellis I had a trumpet vine growing. It was beautiful and private providing but if you know anything about trumpet vines they are very invasive. I’m getting older any between maintaining all the areas I didn’t want vines growing and some big wind storms causing damage, I decided to take it completely out. What a job! Two years later and I’m still pulling new trumpet vine shoots out all over the place. I’ve read it could take up to five years for shoots to stop growing. Here is a pic of the way it WAS. A portion of the trellis and vine is in the upper right of the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1E12D0B1-4536-4937-8686-F1E9F796FA6F.jpeg (3.46 MB, 34 views)

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500
Old 07-07-2021, 04:02 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkorbal View Post
Each year we do a color theme, this year was orange one our favorite.

I had a trumpet vine growing. It was beautiful and private providing but if you know anything about trumpet vines they are very invasive.
Tony - that's a good thought on the color. I need three azaleas to fill in some spots in the new beds and I'm searching for orange.

Another invasive plant that is proving a challenge to get rid of is wisteria. I took ours out 4 seasons ago and am still having to battle its return. Horrible stuff.

I once ask my local nursery about bamboo, another invasive plant. He said he won't sell bamboo. Said it is so invasive you can hear it grow at night.
Old 07-07-2021, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post

Another invasive plant that is proving a challenge to get rid of is wisteria. I took ours out 4 seasons ago and am still having to battle its return. Horrible stuff.

Funny, we struggled for 25 years to keep wisterias alive. They’d last a couple of years, then die off, never having bloomed. We finally have two that are growing on poles that have had a few blooms for the last few years. Differences in climate I guess.
IMG_2551.jpg