AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 05-31-2013, 07:45 PM

Thank you to all those that posted messages of support. Its nice to know I'm not entirely insane. Or at least I'm not alone in the asylum! Shindo is a system approach, many have luck with mix and match which is cool. Shindo explained to me from day one what they call "The music mind." Odd sounding but years later it makes perfect sense to me. Once you experience the effect of a well tuned Shindo chain, you to may come to understand. Or is that too cultish sounding My recent trip to Germany placed me in front of two systems with a different sound, both had the music mind in full effect. With the guidance of Mr. Aschenbrenner and some careful set up, these two systems are among the best I've heard. They both used A23 cables from top to bottom, had various Shindo components and Line Magnetic 22A based speakers. Top performance is possible with both Shindo or A23 cables is my point... To answer the original poster and get back on track.

Jonathan

Last edited by Vinyljh; 05-31-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:37 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucumber_Jones View Post
Dan - take off your "mcintosh coloured glasses" and relax.
Chris.......I am relaxed.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 05-31-2013, 10:34 PM

While I appreciate Shindo's "system" approach to sound, my experience has taught me that you cannot overestimate the importance of the room in the final sonic equation. I've heard $100K+ systems sound like crap because of horrible room acoustics. Likewise, I have heard modest systems sound very good with appropriate room treatments. In many cases I believe better sound could be acquired by spending a few hundred dollars on room treatments than another $10K on upgrading equipment. I am amazed at the number of audiophiles who talk all the time about the equipment but never spend a moment thinking about the acoustical environment. Okay - I'll get off my soap box now.
Speakers: Tonian classic 12 (PHY driver) and Hawthorn Audio Trios (Open Baffle). Analog Source: Nottingham Ana-log, Garrard 301. Tonearms: SME 312S, SME M2-12R, Nottingham Unipivot. Cartridge: Koetsu Onyx, Lyra Helikon Mono, Ortofon SPU Classic. Digital Source: Eastern Electric Dac +. Electronics: Shindo Vosne Romane Preamp, 45,2A3,300B,F2a,GM70 SET amps, Atma-sphere S30 OTL, Dynaco ST-70, Shindo Haut-Brion

Last edited by sibelius; 05-31-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post

Chris.......I am relaxed.
Ha. Figures. The McIntosh colored glasses mascot doesn't have ears.

Fact.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:00 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev313 View Post
Ha. Figures. The McIntosh colored glasses mascot doesn't have ears.

Fact.
Kev.......

Just keep in mind, one man's facts are another man's fiction. To each there own.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 05-31-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilNZ
There is no misinformation at all! Every time I sell a shindo component I sell the cables with it after explaining why. When my customers hear what the cables do they are more than happy. Also, I sell Shindo and A23 cables to non shindo owners because they love them compared to other brands. Why all these accusations of smoke and mirrors?! Shindo chooses componentry based on performance, not bling. As Jonathan says, if it were all some cunning scheme to sell more cables, they would certainly be flashier than they are. And I concur, they are the least profitable cable line I sell, so money is not the reason we choose to sell them. We sell them because they are Part of a system approach from Ken Shindo, and they are a great product in their own right.

Ok Neil. I have no problem with the fact that A23 and Shindo cables are very good.
I'm just talking about the new information regarding the fact that using non Switchcraft connectors with Shindo can alter / damage the sound / female plugs of the components.

I can bet you that many many Shindo owners, who bought their Shindo gear at authorized Shindo dealers, and did not want to buy Shindo or A23 cables for all the chain ( what about people who have an old tuner paid 300 dollars used. Will they pay 500 for a cabble for it ???. Many people bought only a Shindo cable between the preamp and the amp like Alberto ) never heard this information. HERE COMES MISINFORMATION !
So disclosing it NOW, in a thread where some people including me, suggest that there could be better or at least not poorer cables from other brands used with Shindo gear, looks a bit " strange ".

I personnaly trust the information although I know that even some Shindo owners don't ( but they are too "affraid" to enter the debate : guess why ? ? ) believe in this. I had all the technical details explaining it from both Jonathan and Keith and I'm almost ok with that.

I AM JUST SAYING THAT THIS INFORMATION IS IMPORTANT ENOUGH TO BE PUBLISHED ON THE WEB SITES OF DEALERS AND IMPORTERS AND SHOULD FIGURE ON THE USER NOTICE WITH THE APPLIANCES !
Funny how I seem to speak a different language than english sometimes.....

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 06-01-2013, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post

Ok Neil. I have no problem with the fact that A23 and Shindo cables are very good.
I'm just talking about the new information regarding the fact that using non Switchcraft connectors with Shindo can alter / damage the sound / female plugs of the components.

I can bet you that many many Shindo owners, who bought their Shindo gear at authorized Shindo dealers, and did not want to buy Shindo or A23 cables for all the chain ( what about people who have an old tuner paid 300 dollars used. Will they pay 500 for a cabble for it ???. Many people bought only a Shindo cable between the preamp and the amp like Alberto ) never heard this information. HERE COMES MISINFORMATION !
So disclosing it NOW, in a thread where some people including me, suggest that there could be better or at least not poorer cables from other brands used with Shindo gear, looks a bit " strange ".

I personnaly trust the information although I know that even some Shindo owners don't ( but they are too "affraid" to enter the debate : guess why ? ? ) believe in this. I had all the technical details explaining it from both Jonathan and Keith and I'm almost ok with that.

I AM JUST SAYING THAT THIS INFORMATION IS IMPORTANT ENOUGH TO BE PUBLISHED ON THE WEB SITES OF DEALERS AND IMPORTERS AND SHOULD FIGURE ON THE USER NOTICE WITH THE APPLIANCES !

Matt, Steve and JH have all told me about the compatibility issues numerous times on the phone and in emails when discussing purchasing shindo amps and pre-amps.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellindo
The Cinch connectors are a typical example of Male (plug) and Female (socket/receptacle) type of contact.

The always existing variations of the male pin diameter (hot contact on the plug) will be easily compensated by the inner contact 'spring effect' in the female socket. It always works like this. That is rather simple and certainly not rocket science!!!

However, two useful points to be noticed:

1) I do admit that different connector choices on the IC cable will bring very subtle sonic differences. Heavier/bulkier is not always better! The Switchcraft low metal mass Cinch plugs are certainly good products indeed.

2) In connector technology best practice, it is ideal to have the same plating for both the male & female contacts. This would avoid some microscopic current at the interface.
For durability as well if you were going to plug/unplug thousand of times during the product life.
Last case, if your villa is situated next to the sea side in a hot and humid climate (let's say in Phuket as an example) I would definitively recommand to use the same brand ie. material and plating, for the socket and plug.

From an inexperienced poster who worked 9 years in the connector industry. ;-)
Laurent, according to your point 2 , which was also raised by Jonathan ie to use the same materials, what about the use of A23 cables ? They usegold plated connectors right ? And the female SWC on Shindo are not....
???

Old 06-01-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:

This isn't new information. I've been advised of this by both Matt and Jonathan since 2006. Based on my experience my assumption was and is that if you purchase from an authorized dealer you will be fully supported with this info. As with most brands, grey market and secondary market purchasers have less protection. But, hey, these guys are in luck too as I happen to know that in the USA Shindo reps have been very patient and helpful to these buyers by providing their time and helpful advice.

If you bought from an authorized dealer and did not receive this information, I would take it up with a brand representative.

As to the people who are afraid to enter the "debate," what is up to debate? I can guess why they are afraid? No I cannot. That is very odd. Do they think this is the da Vinci Code and will be struck down by Shindo agents? Are they unusually meek? Is their conspiracy construct so central to their lives that they fear it will collapse after being provided with actual information? Do they work for Nordost? Did they invest in a Siltech tattoo in their misspent youth? Do they fear being called out for making grey market purchases?

Ironically your constant reference to a Shindo Sect may be most responsible for creating a perception that it exists. even me pointing that out goes one step further to legitimizing the claim. AND I STILL DON'T KNOW HOW TO JOIN OR WHAT THEY DO!!!

Jerome, Where did you get your gear and who failed to provide you with the info? Keith? I doubt that! Bring the issue up with that person. Your dealer should have discussed it with you. Why take it against Shindo generally?

Last edited by kev313; 06-01-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:

Laurent, according to your point 2 , which was also raised by Jonathan ie to use the same materials, what about the use of A23 cables ? They usegold plated connectors right ? And the female SWC on Shindo are not....
???

By the way, unless my memory is faulty, this top secret information regarding the delicate nature of the Switchcraft components has been discussed by First Order Master Shindo Mason Art Dudley in the sect newsletter, Stereophile.