AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Focal Speakers

Focal Speakers The Spirit of Sound

Old 11-27-2017, 05:08 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
...the upcoming Focal f206be is what I am waiting to listen to
Do you have any additional info or a link to the F206Be? I'm not familiar with it and have not been able to find any info on the web.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 11-27-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
$9999 is MSRP on the new dark walnut (non glossy finish), the OP posted the glossy finish which has a MSRP of 13,500. When I was seriously looking at Focal I was offered 20% off by 2 local dealers (the 20% was on the Electra series...I didn't inquire about Sopra because it is more than I want to spend). Its too bad they went with the lower end driver technology on the Kantas...the upcoming Focal f206be is what I am waiting to listen to
My bad. Slip-up by the old eyes. 20% off on new items would be almost too good to pass up around here.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Do you have any additional info or a link to the F206Be? I'm not familiar with it and have not been able to find any info on the web.
I mistyped...the Revel F208be is what I was refering to. I mistyped. It is the performa series of Revel with a beryllium tweeter and supposedly new faster drivers.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:31 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

I ran the 1038’s sitting on Ultra SS powered by the Mcintosh 452 which made the French sing beautifully and after I did wall treatments, just before the 1038’s sold, I was very impressed how everything came together enough so that I heard no reason not to have been happy staying put, but it was too late. [emoji849]

The Sopra’s are also very nice, and both are a larger sounding speaker over the Kanta, but the Kantas sounded very nice at RMAF.

Back to considering the fixed factors of your room and the variable factors of power and treatment then onto cool knobs, dials, cables and wire parallel to the budget.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:51 PM

I've enjoyed a pair of the Sopra No2s now for over two years, right after they became available in the U.S.
I compared them to the 1038/1028BE's before making the purchase and I'm glad I spent the extra amount on the Sopra's. I do agree, the Sopra's to me did sound a little "larger".
I've been driving my Sopra's with a McIntosh MC452 with a C2500 tube preamp, with all digital sources. After about 200 hours of break in, the speakers seemed to really improve, but one night, after owning them for about six months, I noticed that they seemed to really "settle in".
After years of trying new components, upgrading one at a time, I think I'm "done" for now, as I'm really happy with my system. In the past I'd enjoy an improvement, but after several months got the itch to upgrade, but not so with the Sopra's.
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling
Old 12-02-2017, 11:24 PM
Bun E. Carlos

Stopped by a dealer this afternoon and listened to a pair of Sopra No. 2's.
VERY impressed. They sounded wonderful.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:45 AM
Bun E. Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejr1953 View Post
I've enjoyed a pair of the Sopra No2s now for over two years, right after they became available in the U.S.
I compared them to the 1038/1028BE's before making the purchase and I'm glad I spent the extra amount on the Sopra's. I do agree, the Sopra's to me did sound a little "larger".
I've been driving my Sopra's with a McIntosh MC452 with a C2500 tube preamp, with all digital sources. After about 200 hours of break in, the speakers seemed to really improve, but one night, after owning them for about six months, I noticed that they seemed to really "settle in".
After years of trying new components, upgrading one at a time, I think I'm "done" for now, as I'm really happy with my system. In the past I'd enjoy an improvement, but after several months got the itch to upgrade, but not so with the Sopra's.
I heard a 2 demo yesterday on a 452/2600 combo.....it sounded incredible. If the 2's are this good, I can't even imagine how the 3's sound! Wow!
I'm trying to figure out a way to swing $$$ a pair of 2's!
Old 12-03-2017, 11:54 AM

Default My Guy Has Been Asking Me to Upgrade to the Sopra3's

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJW View Post
I heard a 2 demo yesterday on a 452/2600 combo.....it sounded incredible. If the 2's are this good, I can't even imagine how the 3's sound! Wow!
I'm trying to figure out a way to swing $$$ a pair of 2's!
I suspect the main difference between the Sopra No2's and No3's is more bass...and $6000!

I find the bass that the Sopra No2's have is excellent, but not very deep in the lower registers...so I have them paired with a pair of JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers. So, not much motivation on my part to think about upgrading to the Sopra No3's.
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling
Old 12-03-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJW View Post
Stopped by a dealer this afternoon and listened to a pair of Sopra No. 2's.
VERY impressed. They sounded wonderful.
Excellent. They will sound exceptional with your MA9000. I was able to audition a similar setup with the MCT450 and the MA8000 about a year and a half ago. What finish are you considering?
Old 12-03-2017, 06:48 PM
Bun E. Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questortapes74 View Post
Excellent. They will sound exceptional with your MA9000. I was able to audition a similar setup with the MCT450 and the MA8000 about a year and a half ago. What finish are you considering?
Red......or orange.