AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Aurender

Aurender Reference Music Servers

Old 07-23-2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
I can't give you a definitive yes or no. I own both the N10 and X100. I would wager there is very little sonic differences. This is strictly on memory (shaky ground!) as my X100 is boxed up and in off site storage.

Dan is correct. S/PDIF output of N10 is a definite advantage among other plusses mentioned above. I was originally thinking apple to apple comparison of USB output.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 07-23-2017, 08:18 AM

It will interesting to get your opinion on the upgrade. As Dan pointed out there are improvements in certain aspects in the N10. Your question was about sound quality. If you need other outputs besides the USB than you should upgrade. It your still going to only be using the USB than you probably will not notice much of a difference. I say this because I called Aurender and asked this very question and was told the USB section in the N100 is same as the N10. The N100 lacks the other things pointed out by Dan which I am pretty sure are mostly for the other outputs on the N10?

Last edited by 1KW; 07-23-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:59 PM

Yes I am little worried that just switching units without taking advantage of the clock
etc. using s/pdif might not be much different. I also just purchased the platinum starlight
USB. Of course I could also purchase s/pdif cable but at more cost. It might be that the
USB audio plug is the same but there is still increased sq thru better power and architecture
in the N10 even without the clock. If I pull the trigger on the N10 then I just have to figure in the s/pdif cable.
Sorry I got sidetracked reading the N10 and D1100 thread which is very helpful.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:10 PM

The N100H also has a linear power supply, USB section is identical to N10, I have tried the N10 it does provide a bit more air and less grain over USB, but with the Uptone Regen included, I get (almost) the same result with the N100H.

If you have a DAC with SPDIF (or Devialet DAC/Amps), I believe the N10 will show it strengths.

There is also a N100C now, will be interesting to hear that one compared to the N10 over spdif
Old 07-23-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezap2 View Post
The N10 is better player out of the box, but if you only stream over USB, the N100H + Uptone regen USB gives you the same SQ.

In my experience there is more performance to be gained in the DAC you connect to the streamer.

Cannot comment on the N10 over spdif.

What is the Uptone Regen USB is the ISO Regen the same just improved. I'm confused. Their site has both listed. Thanks.

Jim
Old 07-23-2017, 10:07 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottikid View Post
What is the Uptone Regen USB is the ISO Regen the same just improved. I'm confused. Their site has both listed. Thanks.
Jim.......You can check out the Uptone Regen here: uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen

Lets keep this thread focused on the original topic.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 07-25-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
It will interesting to get your opinion on the upgrade. As Dan pointed out there are improvements in certain aspects in the N10. Your question was about sound quality. If you need other outputs besides the USB than you should upgrade. It your still going to only be using the USB than you probably will not notice much of a difference. I say this because I called Aurender and asked this very question and was told the USB section in the N100 is same as the N10. The N100 lacks the other things pointed out by Dan which I am pretty sure are mostly for the other outputs on the N10?
I thought I would reach out to Aurender and get there input.

Hello, I am considering upgrading to your N10 from my N100H. My question is
will I get increased sound quality from the USB output or do I need to use the
s/pdif output to hear any difference? I understand that the clock is not used
with the USB output but wondering if there is still a benefit because of better
architecture in the N10. I am using a McIntosh C2600 preamp. I am very happy
your products and support.
Thank You, Paul Hertz

Hello Paul,

Thank you for contacting us about this.

We receive this question from time to time and it’s not very easy to answer since each environment and system are different.

Technically speaking, there is no difference between the N10 and N100H’s USB audio output. The same architecture is used for both.

The N10 has a larger power supply, more storage, a larger caching SSD, and a specially designed SPDIF output board. The N10 also has a thicker chassis and larger AMOLED displays.

The only real difference you may hear in your system using USB would therefore be due to the additional vibration reduction due to the thicker aluminum chassis, and possibly lower noise offered by the power supply in the N10. How much of a difference this will make is highly system dependent so we suggest arranging with your dealer to audition the difference before making a purchase. This way you can know for sure how the N10 might improve performance in your particular application.

I hope this helps and please let us know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Jesse

I thought others might be interested in the factory's reply.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:13 PM

That's exactly what I think, N10 is a great buy if you use spdif, if you use USB only, the N100H does the trick. With a little tuning (Uptone Regen or TotalDac USB cable) and a nice powercable you get the best out of the N100H.

The connected DAC is were you can get more performance out of your system.

Last edited by imprezap2; 07-25-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:41 PM

Yes I agree. I think I probably have a pretty balanced system with my N100H,
Platinum USB, C2600. The N10 would be best utilized with the next level up Dac
thru spdif into a D1100, Esoteric etc. Will have to rethink the total commitment
of that route. Thank you all for the great knowledge here.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:16 AM

Great thread. I'm going to be in the market soon for a music server. I have the Sony HAP 1Zes..and its good. Until I heard the same files through my MacBook Pro with Audirvana Plus. Just felt like a veil was lifted. Tighter and more air...I can only imagine what the N100H and N10 would be. I used USB...

I am somewhat new to digital audio so pardon the newbie digital question. I always thought that SPDIF Coaxial was inferior in terms of high rez audio. So now reading the N10 benefits from this caught me off guard. So if I went with the N10 it would send all the high rez glory to my McIntosh C2600?

I need to go demo these. There's a dealer 'somewhat' close. Baton Rouge. Only 3 hours or so away. Hey I can do this. Drove 4.5 hours to demo my Martin Logans.