AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Aurender

Aurender Reference Music Servers

Old 12-27-2017, 01:35 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by smatsui324 View Post
My decision is to stay away from MQA DACs for now. There are problems not only with the A10, but also my dealer friend tells me that Mytek has the same issues. All the issues relate to switching filters for MQA and non-MQA material. This dealer told me that when the MQA filter is applied to non MQA material the SQ is degraded. Perhaps that is what Jason Serinus heard in his listening review? My dealer friend sells Aurender and Mytek products so he has nothing to gain by saying anything negative about their products. MQA is still in its infancy and there are problems to be worked out. Until the issues with MQA DACs are worked out reliably, I'm not buying one. Everyone has to decide for themselves. I've made my decision, I bought the Aurender N100H 4TB and the Bryston BDA-3.
smatsui324.......I agree with you about MQA being in the infancy stage, and like you have no plans to upgrade my Aurender N10 or N100H music servers to the MQA core decoder software. I have read that Aurender has MQA core decoder software close to release and it will be a paid operating system upgrade purchased and downloaded through Apple's App Store. I will pass on this MQA update for several reasons, its infancy, my insecurity about buggy software that may impact what is presently an amazing sounding music server, MQA's current catalog, and my general disinterest in the MQA platform.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-29-2017, 09:06 AM

Here's another more positive take on the Aurender A10 from TAS.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:33 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
Here's another more positive take on the Aurender A10 from TAS.
Bill.......Thanks for the posting link to the TAS review of the Aurender A10 for everyone to read. I read that review in the December edition of TAS and felt it was a balanced and fair audition of the Aurender A10 music server/DAC. In my opinion, Andrew Quint's TAS review put to shame the Jason Serinus review in Stereophile.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 03-02-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
soastrup.......I agree with your view of the Aurender A10 review in Stereophile by Jason Serinus. First, I don't particularly care for his writing style or his selection of music for this review. Right from the beginning of the A10 review he made disparaging comments that seemed to belittle the A10 streamer/DAC in a back handed manner, making fun of Aurender's claim the A10 is a high-performance component. He continued by stating the 4TB hard drive was limited storage. A 4TB hard drive stores an enormous number of FLAC encoded music files. He makes the statement that during the time the hard drive is caching files to the solid state drive for playback ultimate sound quality is sacrificed. He must have bat ears because that has not been my experience at all with either my Aurender N10 or N100H music servers, and I highly doubt it is with the A10. Jason spoke less than flatteringly about the sound of the A10's DAC. Again, I suspect he might have wanted the A10 to sound like the dCS Scarlatti he kept mentioning, a DAC system that comes in at five times the price of the Aurender A10. The A10's AKM 4490 DACs are not slouches. In addition, Jason wasn't sharp enough not to place the A10 directly on the dCS components which negatively impacted the sound of the A10 until he wised up and relocated the A10 to it's own shelf. At the same time he admitted to breaking in new cables. Hmm! More with the negative tone, he referred to the Aurender A10 online manual as far too slim. I don't know about other Aurender owners, but I have had no issues finding operating and technical information for my Aurender components and the Conductor App online, not to mention nearly immediate email response from Aurender Tech support when needed. He goes on to complain that when he selects a title of music to play, then taps Play Now in the Conductor App the music starts immediately. What the heck does he think "Play Now" means. None of this strikes me as someone who was committed in a positive way to the A10 review.

Despite the MQA filter issue discovered by John Atkinson while bench testing the A10, which if not already resolved will certainly be so in short order, Jason Victor Serinus as he seems to like to be addressed, seems to take himself more seriously than he takes his job as a reviewer in my opinion. His effort at reviewing the Aurender A10 was a lackluster, uninspired read. Jason kept referring to the A10's apparent lack of color saturation. What the heck is that supposed to mean? Perhaps chartreuse was overshadowing magenta, while a light mauve seemed pale compared to the hot pink.

Jason just couldn't resist himself. His uninspired Aurender A10 review was wrapped up with a final dig, "Those who tend to listen to music while multitasking (read: not paying attention to the music) or who don't spend hours on end sitting undisturbed in the sweet spot (read: not interested in fully enjoying music) need not hesitate."

Note: The comments in parentheses are mine.

Right on Dan
2 Channel - Esoteric KO3, VPI Classic, C2300, MS300, MEN220, Bryston 7b SST, B&W 802D, JL F113 (2), MDA 1000, Olive 4HD, Sonos w/Remedy, WW Silver Eclipse ICs , Stillpoints Ultra mini, MR85 tuner, Aurender A10 server

Headphone listening
- Audeze LCD3 with Moon Audio Black Dragon Balanced cables, Sennheiser HD650, WW silver Eclipse Nano cable, Bryston BHA-1 amp

HT -
MX135, OPPO 103D, B&W CDM7, B&W center, Sony 65" LCD
Old 04-20-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Bill.......Thanks for the posting link to the TAS review of the Aurender A10 for everyone to read. I read that review in the December edition of TAS and felt it was a balanced and fair audition of the Aurender A10 music server/DAC. In my opinion, Andrew Quint's TAS review put to shame the Jason Serinus review in Stereophile.
Take a look at the Stereophile Axpona review, JA listening to the Dynaudio S40 standmounts run by an Octave Integrated and an A10. Very positive notes by JA

https://www.stereophile.com/content/jas-saturday-axpona
Old 06-21-2019, 09:09 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Good review of the A10 at Audio Science

Conclusions
The triplet of tests that I ran on Aurender A10 shows it to be a very well engineered machine. It produces performance at the top level of DACs tested, falling just shy of state-of-the-art. For people wanting a fully configured streamer as opposed to building their own out of PCs, Macs or Raspberry Pi boards, it makes a very good option. Yes, $5,500 is fair bit of money but my own server cost me nearly half of that and I had to put in a lot time and effort to build it.

So overall, if you are looking for a high-end streamer, I can recommend the Aurender A10 from performance point of view.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...streamer.5640/