AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 05-17-2013, 07:31 PM

Question Musical surroundings supernova ii phono stage

Anyone have any experience with the Musical Surroundings Supernova II phono stage. Has some really interesting features/spec's:

Features:
• Handles 3 Phono Inputs.
• Gain user adjustable from 40 to 60 dB.
• Loading is user adjustable from 30 Ohms to 100kOhms.
• Independent Gain and Loading settings for each of the 3 Phono Inputs.
• There are no “signal path” switches except for switched attenuator if used.
• Normal “Line Out", and “Variable” outputs.
• The variable output Switched Attenuator can drive a power amp directly.
• Uses Large Area Monolithic Super Matched Pairs for lowest noise performance.

Remote Power Supply (not pictured) features:
• Rechargeable batteries.
• The charging circuits completely disconnect from the batteries when in battery mode.
• Optically coupled voltage monitors will wake up the processor to engage the charging of the batteries if the batteries are discharged enough.
• Four, seven cell NiMH “AA” packs, one for each positive and negative power supply, and each channel.
• Four separate charging circuits.
• Positive and Negative battery packs are charged separately in case there is different current usage between positive and negative power supplies. This prevents repeated overcharging one battery pack while undercharging the other.
• The batteries will be “topped off” by putting the unit into charge mode if there is no activity for a week.
• Fully Dual Mono even when not in Battery Mode.
• The power supply has been designed to sound excellent even without the batteries installed.

How the Limited Attenuator Works:
Gain in a typical system:
Moving Coil Phono Stage 60dB
Line Amp 18dB
Power Amp 30dB
Total Gain 108dB
Required Attenuation -30dB

Gain with the SuperNova Limited Attenuator:
Moving Coil Phono Stage 40dB
Power Amp 30dB
Total Gain 70dB
Required Attenuation -5dB

Most audio systems have far too much gain. The excess gain needs to reduced by setting an attenuator by a typical -30dB. By fine tuning the SuperNova gain switches and using the Limited Attenuator, typical listening can be done with little or no excess gain. By reducing unneeded gain, the system does not need to work as hard, thereby achieving a more natural sound. The extra 25dB gain equates to about 20 times more work, imagine working 20 times harder than you need to.

The Limited Attenuator has a major advantage over a standard passive attenuator. A passive attenuator typically has significant output impedance creating sensitivity to the particular type of output cable. The SuperNova Attenuator has much lower output impedance.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

I have a Nova Phonomena so I am curious how it compares.

I hope to upgrade to a better phono stage for ~$2.5K within a year, but I don't need more than one input. My turntable doesn't support multiple arms.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:12 AM

I don't have multiple tables so the three inputs are of no use now, maybe later. What I like is the widely adjustable gain and cartridge loading. I'm also really interested in the attenuator allowing direct connection to a power amp bypassing the traditional pre-amp altogether. Then there's the option for the battery power supply. This thing flat out has lots of flexibility
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josquin des Prez View Post
I have a Nova Phonomena so I am curious how it compares.

I hope to upgrade to a better phono stage for ~$2.5K within a year, but I don't need more than one input. My turntable doesn't support multiple arms.
So I just read up on your Nova Phonomena and it looks like it's got a lot of flexibility as well. I also didn't realize it has a built in battery pack. Can you describe the difference in sound when running purely on battery power vs. having it connected to AC?
Old 05-18-2013, 10:17 AM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBattles View Post
So I just read up on your Nova Phonomena and it looks like it's got a lot of flexibility as well. I also didn't realize it has a built in battery pack. Can you describe the difference in sound when running purely on battery power vs. having it connected to AC?
When running with the battery the background is quieter, blacker, which makes everything else more open, refined and detailed. When running on battery power, my dealer says it compares favorably with the Simaudio Moon 310LP which sells for nearly twice as much. As for flexibility, it has plenty of gain and loading options, and you don't have to open it up -- nor even turn it off -- to change them.

Musical Surroundings just upgraded this. It now has the same case as their MyDAC II and they've made other improvements. It also went up to $1200. If you want the original (like I have), my dealer is selling their demo (it has very little use).
Old 05-18-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josquin des Prez View Post
When running with the battery the background is quieter, blacker, which makes everything else more open, refined and detailed. When running on battery power, my dealer says it compares favorably with the Simaudio Moon 310LP which sells for nearly twice as much. As for flexibility, it has plenty of gain and loading options, and you don't have to open it up -- nor even turn it off -- to change them.

Musical Surroundings just upgraded this. It now has the same case as their MyDAC II and they've made other improvements. It also went up to $1200. If you want the original (like I have), my dealer is selling their demo (it has very little use).
Yes Dean, I would like to speak to your dealer about their demo unit. Would you please PM me their contact information, thanks
Old 05-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

PM sent.