AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 03-09-2013, 02:15 PM

Default What to do about phono stage for Innovation Wood -- Fosgate?

Hi all,
After years of upgrading my 2ch analog system (I don't have any other hifi systems), source has once again become the weak point. So, I've collected & exhausted all my audio funds towards an incoming Innovation Wood/Graham setup. Very anxious to get it, as I've already heard magic from the Compact w/ Magnify arm!

Of course, now I'm looking at phono stage -- which has become the obvious weak point -- and wondering if I've neglected this component's importance too much. I'm at "final" destination with speakers/pre/power -- big Tannoys are all I ever wanted, and gobs of tube power to drive them. I've got a couple of Koetsu Platinum carts, and may add an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, so no performance bottleneck there.

Phono stage is currently an Eddie Current Transcription (48dB; 2x 12AX7, 1x 6SN7) with Bob's Devices 1131 SUT. I know the SUT is great and won't be outclassed. On the EC stage -- it's nice, but I waffle between believing it's capable of magic, or just merely "good". More towards the latter, lately.

I won't have funds to get an "all out" phono stage for a while. I'd eventually like a fully balanced tube unit, but that's not happening today. However, I could possibly push through a new Fosgate Signature. I've come around to its aesthetic (not really my thing); its features and reviews are very appealing. Looking for opinions on whether the Fosgate might keep the spotlight off phono stage as a glaring weakness in my setup.

For context, I've churned through a number of stages in 3 years: Benz PP-1, PS Audio GCPH, Sonic Frontiers Phono 1, Rogue Stealth, Rogue Ares, the VAC Renaissance III's built-in MM/MC, and the Transcription. In retrospect, the VAC's stage was best. It was capable of magic, especially with the 1131; sold it because sadly I preferred the Rogue Hera II line stage (and those funds went towards the Clearaudio TT). The Sonic Frontiers was a close 2nd; really lovely tone and quiet, but perhaps lacking that last bit of resolution. This too was capable of magic. Never really warmed up to the Rogue units; a bit dry. The SS units were good but not inspired.

If the Fosgate could compete on the level of the VAC III's phono (or even the SF Phono 1), either in MM or MC mode, then I'd find a way to buy it. Anyone compre it to any of the stages I've listed? General thoughts?

System is as pictured in my sig link, though the VAC is now gone...

Last edited by mulveling; 03-09-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Merry Christmas to all

mulveling.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado.

Great looking system.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 03-09-2013, 02:49 PM

Thanks Dan!
It's tough to find forums of folks with passion for the kind of gear I like, and this looks like a great place! No lack of passion/expertise/insanity on this site; I'm outclassed but I'll do my best to keep up

Adding to my phono stage quandary, an upgraded Sonic Frontiers Phono 1 SE+ is sitting on audiogon (the one I had was an older stock non-SE). Kinda tempting; I know it won't suck (being a known quality has some appeal) but wonder if its SE+ upgrades could match or eclipse the VAC, and how this 1997/99 stage might compare to the much newer Fosgate. One more thing I'll say for the SF -- it was very quiet!

Last edited by mulveling; 03-09-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:23 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
Hi all,
After years of upgrading my 2ch analog system (I don't have any other hifi systems), source has once again become the weak point. So, I've collected & exhausted all my audio funds towards an incoming Innovation Wood/Graham setup. Very anxious to get it, as I've already heard magic from the Compact w/ Magnify arm!

Of course, now I'm looking at phono stage -- which has become the obvious weak point -- and wondering if I've neglected this component's importance too much. I'm at "final" destination with speakers/pre/power -- big Tannoys are all I ever wanted, and gobs of tube power to drive them. I've got a couple of Koetsu Platinum carts, and may add an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, so no performance bottleneck there.

Phono stage is currently an Eddie Current Transcription (48dB; 2x 12AX7, 1x 6SN7) with Bob's Devices 1131 SUT. I know the SUT is great and won't be outclassed. On the EC stage -- it's nice, but I waffle between believing it's capable of magic, or just merely "good". More towards the latter, lately.

I won't have funds to get an "all out" phono stage for a while. I'd eventually like a fully balanced tube unit, but that's not happening today. However, I could possibly push through a new Fosgate Signature. I've come around to its aesthetic (not really my thing); its features and reviews are very appealing. Looking for opinions on whether the Fosgate might keep the spotlight off phono stage as a glaring weakness in my setup.

For context, I've churned through a number of stages in 3 years: Benz PP-1, PS Audio GCPH, Sonic Frontiers Phono 1, Rogue Stealth, Rogue Ares, the VAC Renaissance III's built-in MM/MC, and the Transcription. In retrospect, the VAC's stage was best. It was capable of magic, especially with the 1131; sold it because sadly I preferred the Rogue Hera II line stage (and those funds went towards the Clearaudio TT). The Sonic Frontiers was a close 2nd; really lovely tone and quiet, but perhaps lacking that last bit of resolution. This too was capable of magic. Never really warmed up to the Rogue units; a bit dry. The SS units were good but not inspired.

If the Fosgate could compete on the level of the VAC III's phono (or even the SF Phono 1), either in MM or MC mode, then I'd find a way to buy it. Anyone compre it to any of the stages I've listed? General thoughts?

System is as pictured in my sig link, though the VAC is now gone...
mulveling,
Great looking system.

For phono stages, I would recommend to you take a good hard look at two, especially as, like me, you use Koetsus: the EAR 324 and the Zesto Andros. The EAR gives you more control of loading and the Zesto is prettier and less expensive. Both give you dual inputs for running two tables, arms, carts, etc.

I have the EAR 324 and it's superb, not solid-state sounding at all. I use it with a Bob's Devices SUT for the Koetsu, and it's own internal SUTs for the Sumiko Pearwood Celebration II on my Rega P5. The Zesto is the only other one I'd seriously consider, and it's also superb.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 03-09-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:40 PM

Puma Cat,
Thanks for the recs; the Zesto in particular has caught my eye, but for now it's a bit above budget. Hoping to find something ~ $2K that'll at least tide me over for some months without being an obvious system weak point. If I fall in love and want to keep it longer, then all the better! I'll keep the 1131 SUT for now, so MM-only stages, or stages with a weaker MC section remain an option.

There's advantage to sticking with my long-time local dealer here, hence the interest in Fosgate, as he carries Musical Surroundings. Also carries Rogue, but I've been down that road. And VAC, but their only standalone phono is the $50K Statement -- which is not happening in this lifetime Wish they made a standalone version of the stage they put in their preamps!
Old 03-09-2013, 06:27 PM

I run a fosgate w/vpi classic 1 and cadenza blue. When I originally heard it at my dealer it was running a cadenza bronze and was incredible. It was my original plan to go home with the bronze or maybe even black but I decided to trade in speakers . So I was out of cash.
Anyway it's a great phono stage especially since its not a bank account buster. Am I going to sell it and buy a used steelhead(a dream of mine) probably but not for a few months. My local dealer ran it with a bunch of good cartridges and different tubes while I was there and it kept up with everything .
Best thing is that when my girl asked me if it was a new piece of equip I said look how small it is , it only cost $500......and she believed me. Lol!! Oh btw there's a great thread around here about the fosgate.

Last edited by petro85; 03-09-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:50 PM

Mike you know I'm a die hard tube guy. But in your price range I would go with a SS phonostage. I think to a certain point you are going to be able to get alot more out of a SS than tube phono. I like the Soundsmith MCP2, Simaudio, Parasound JC3, and Ayre P-5xe. Any of these would hold you for quite awhile, and be low noise, and have enough gain for your low output cartridges. Good luck!
edit: Manley Chinook, and new VTL 2.5 phono might get you there if tubes are a must.

Last edited by tom_hankins; 03-09-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_hankins View Post
Mike you know I'm a die hard tube guy. But in your price range I would go with a SS phonostage. I think to a certain point you are going to be able to get alot more out of a SS than tube phono. I like the Soundsmith MCP2, Simaudio, Parasound JC3, and Ayre P-5xe. Any of these would hold you for quite awhile, and be low noise, and have enough gain for your low output cartridges. Good luck!
edit: Manley Chinook, and new VTL 2.5 phono might get you there if tubes are a must.
Tom, I get what you're saying, and for sure I've been curious about the JC3. What did you hear it with? I know the Simaudio also sounds great. Grrr...just need to choose another option; the EC new toy buzz wore off pretty quick. The VAC had to go, but I wish its phono stage could've stayed.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
Puma Cat,
Thanks for the recs; the Zesto in particular has caught my eye, but for now it's a bit above budget. Hoping to find something ~ $2K that'll at least tide me over for some months without being an obvious system weak point. If I fall in love and want to keep it longer, then all the better! I'll keep the 1131 SUT for now, so MM-only stages, or stages with a weaker MC section remain an option.

There's advantage to sticking with my long-time local dealer here, hence the interest in Fosgate, as he carries Musical Surroundings. Also carries Rogue, but I've been down that road. And VAC, but their only standalone phono is the $50K Statement -- which is not happening in this lifetime Wish they made a standalone version of the stage they put in their preamps!
If you're in the ~2K price range, then consider the Sutherland 2020 or the Parasound JC3. Or, save some money and get an EAR 834P.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:48 PM

May I also suggest a used Aesthetix Rhea which can be had in the $2,000-2,500 range. Nice combo of tonal richness, yet neutral across the frequency spectrum and highly resolving, plus immersive staging.

Last edited by cmalak; 03-09-2013 at 11:03 PM.