AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Simaudio Moon

Simaudio Moon High End Audiophile Amplifiers and Sound

Old 08-28-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
Glisse,

Perfectly said and all true from my viewpoint. I am struggling myself on which way to go.
I wouldn't rush it, Joe. You've made such big changes relatively recently, it might be worthwhile spending a little more time getting to know everyone a bit better, so to speak

Plus, with that equipment, I am sure you are already getting great sound. We are all, of course, driven by a curse of infinite, if not infinitesimal, improvement...
Old 08-28-2012, 01:56 PM

Thank you,

I think "struggling" was a poor choice of words. I am having fun though.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:59 PM

This is really a fun hobby. supposed to be running cost free too. except electricity and tube replacements, so I love it. I love cars too, but here cars are more expensive. But in reality, having to feed stereo set with expensive AC power and cables just to get good sound is not really maintenance free right ? And here is how I started it in 2007, all started from this....see pictures...
one wrong move at that time was that I thought with great system, any CD player would sound similarly good ! then I bought cheap Cambridge 840c based
mainly from great review from TAS, and that was wrong, at that time not believe in cables too !! and that was wrong.
Glisse, I 've tried VA SS-101 before, but felt too mellow up top, this time dealer convinced me to try with preamp 102, frankly, I'll never be able to afford them,, haha
but can't refuse this great offer.

Toga
Thanks all for .. cheering
I've spent too much $$$ on this hobby already.. And I am just a salary man I should have stopped it, but I just can't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4467_resize.jpg (53.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0111_resize.jpg (87.0 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by TOGA; 08-29-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:21 AM

TOGA,

We are having fun with you. Thanks. Yes, this is a crazy hobby but I can think of much worse things to do. At least we are home and not somewhere else getting into trouble.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:30 AM

Vitus SS101+SL102 make the same sound I heard months ago. sweet, bass heavy, but
I like something more airy. there a feeling of playing cassette tape with Dolby-C engaged.
But the surprised is that when Vitus 102 preamp connect to Moon W7M, the result is very good,my system doesn't sound thin cold lean as much. Or may be it's the ARC with old 6H30 that caused that thin sound after all...?? tube hours is 2300 hours now for 6H30. Anyway, in latest issue of Stereophile where they test Martens Django , reviewer mentioned cold sounding of Django when pairing with Moon's new M880 too.
The most exciting for me is that around end of September I will have Accuphase C3800 + A200 delivered to try. Anything that make beautiful sound, not darkish, and powerful enough will be permanent resident here. Right now top three best sound ( for me ) are
1. ARC Ref40 + REF 250 <= lack pop and punch, but really nice sound at reasonable price.
2. Burmester 077 + Burmester 911Mk3 <== sound really great, but at times, sound can be too sharp and too strong, too punchy, but reasonable price and make infra sonic bass like no other.
3. Vitus Audio preamp SL102 + Moon W7M <== great, but SL102 really expensive..
4. C3800+A200 <=== unknown, yet.
5. ARC Ref40 + D'Agostino Momentum <== unknown
6. ARC Ref40 + Constellation Centaur <== unknown

Toga
But I really like VA driving Sophia 3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VA-Sophia3_resize.jpg (75.0 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by TOGA; 08-29-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:46 AM

I agree on #2 above.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:29 AM

Joe, you had Bur 077+ext PSU before right ?
How do you feel the need for ext PSU ? Is it worth the $$$ ?
Thanks
Old 08-30-2012, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA
Joe, you had Bur 077+ext PSU before right ?
How do you feel the need for ext PSU ? Is it worth the $$$ ?
Thanks
Hi TOGA,

That's tough for me to say. I've only had the external power supply version. I have not tried the one with internal power supply. My gut tells me the ext. ps adds a lot more regulation to the unit giving you better control. I agree that the 077 w/ ext ps + 911 can be too much on some speakers. I will tell you my stereo 911mk3 that I sold to get my mono amps was much sweeter than my current mono amps. I have a feeling it is related to bias. My stereo 911 ran warmer than my current monos. If I could get back that amp I would do it in a heartbeat. That's how good it was and was beautiful with my 077. My monos not so much.

I may have solution for you if you like the 911 but want a little warmer, less sharp sound. Can you get Pass Labs gear in your country? Try a Pass XP-30 with your 911. I am listening to one now with my monos and it will take about 5 days to settle down and break in, but I can tell right now it is awesome. It's giving me what I want. One difference I notice is I feel like I am back a few rows listening. I do not mind the perspective and it may change. I need to wait the 5 days. Right now I love it but will say more in a few days when it's on the TADs.

Last edited by joeinid; 08-31-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
I will tell you my stereo 911mk3 that I sold to get my mono amps was much sweeter than my current mono amps. I have a feeling it is related to bias. My stereo 911 ran warmer than my current monos. If I could get back that amp I would do it in a heartbeat. That's how good it was and was beautiful with my 077. My monos not so much.
Joe, can't you have the monos converted back to stereo by Burmester?
Old 08-31-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anatta View Post
Joe, can't you have the monos converted back to stereo by Burmester?
Hi Anatta,

Yes, it can be done. I don't think that will be the same as the amp I sold. The stereo amp I had ran very warm to the touch and I think it was biased a little higher. I had it checked and it was perfect. I think the nature of that amp was of a warmer character. I must have gotten very lucky.