AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Old 03-21-2021, 10:32 AM

Default Renovation of Son's Room

Below are pics of the recently renovated room belonging to my son. He has recently moved and the room was in a total mess. As some of you may know I lost my wife Debbie and have been grieving terribly. My sister who is a radiologist came up to take care of me after my surgery. The house because of my 365 days a year seven days a week 24 hours a day care Debbie required especially the last year had become a dump. I was embarrassed for her to see its condition. Probably 21-22 years ago when David was in about the 5th grade I wanted to buy him a really nice Christmas present. I was in the Opry Mills mall and Bose had a huge store and dedicated HT rooms. There were about 15-20 folks listening and I thought the sound decent for a 10 year old. I can say that in this small room the bass shakes the walls and I have never heard it distort. David says it is amazing that it is fully compatible with playing anything you want to play through it. I watched WandaVision recently. Enjoyed it although I haven't seen the final episode. I'm 3 weeks out from my major bladder surgery. It has been successful beyond my expectations and I am fully vaccinated. Next week I begin roller skating lessons. Years ago I was very close to a professional roller skater and have a pair of thousand dollar skates. My goal is not to have a fall and be able to skate around the rink and do some moves without falling. I want my instructor to asses my abilities and tell me what I can and should not do. I haven't roller skated in 10 years. Haven't had time and too dangerous. I'm looking forward to getting on the floor again and roll. They say there's plenty of folks my age that skate. David has been such a help to me. I can't lift over 10 pounds. He disconnected the Bose and moved it out of the room. The room was taken down to the bare walls, re-carpeted, and painted. He calls the little remote a firestick. No way I could have done this. Amazing it works perfectly and sounds pretty good all things considered. Never have had one hiccup from the Bose electronics or speakers.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 03-21-2021 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:32 AM

Default Renovation of Son's Room

Sounds like you’re well on your way to recovery! Congratulations. Doing projects like your son’s room can be very cathartic. It looks nice and very inviting.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:52 PM

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss Charles!
Have a speedy recovery!

Good that you still use the Bose system. They were a bit ahead when they were new and still works well. I'v got one Bose system to. We had it in the kitchen for 15 years until recently.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:55 PM
Semi-audiophile

Wait, Opry Mills? Are you in/near Nashville?
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 03-21-2021, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
Wait, Opry Mills? Are you in/near Nashville?
Yes
Old 03-26-2021, 05:15 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Yes
Cool. And the room looks really good. Sometimes working with what's on hand to create something new is more rewarding than buying new stuff.

On your back, don't let it get stiff on you! Can you do anything for flexibility or stretching?
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 03-26-2021, 10:35 PM

Thanks, prepress. If you are referring to my surgery, no lifting over 10 pounds for at least 6 weeks but I can walk all I want. However, I'm not going over 2 hours to 2 and a half hours in a day. I'm not pushing it. So far my recovery has exceeded my expectations but I still have a ways to go. Doing some long overdue renovations to the house and mancave act to take my mind off all the sadness that has recently come into my life.

Best to you and thanks again,

Charles
Old 03-28-2021, 01:19 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Thanks, prepress. If you are referring to my surgery, no lifting over 10 pounds for at least 6 weeks but I can walk all I want. However, I'm not going over 2 hours to 2 and a half hours in a day. I'm not pushing it. So far my recovery has exceeded my expectations but I still have a ways to go. Doing some long overdue renovations to the house and mancave act to take my mind off all the sadness that has recently come into my life.

Best to you and thanks again,

Charles
Yes. And this new project comes along at the right time, obviously, to give you something worthwhile to do. I can relate in some ways, as last Sunday was the anniversary of my going into the hospital with COVID, and three Sundays ago was the anniversary of my mother's passing. March will be an interesting month going forward.

On the walking, it's good that you're limiting the amount of walking you're doing. Don't want to wear out your hips. I was told some years ago not to walk more than 20–30 minutes at a time tops because it could prove damaging to my hip; I was seeing a PT pre-diagnosis back in 2016 for what turned out to be a pinched nerve in my back (I've also had back surgery, but that was in 1994). In my better days the two to two and a half hours was ONE walk for me. No more!

I am pleased you have something to put your energy into that will be rewarding, and has been already from the results you've gotten. Did any of the very recent bad weather affect you? I know the Nashville area has flooding to deal with.