AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:56 PM

Default A More Direct Path Is Better...

For some time I've been playing my digital files using the following path:

Server ====Ethernet====>SimAudio Moon MiND streamer/iPad ap ====>DAC====>pre-amp

Today a friend came over and helped me setup JRiver Media Center 20 + the JRemote app for my iPad.

Now that it is set up and playlists have been imported, the path shortened somewhat to:

Server ===USB I/C===>JRiver/JRemote===> D150===>pre-amp

I think I am going to enjoy the more direct path better for several reasons:

1. Using the McIntosh drivers with JRiver gives me a bit of a bump up in bit rate through some sort of up-conversion on the 16 bit CD rips. It does sound somewhat different which may be better. We'll give that some time and see what happens over the long run. I have quite a bit of listening to do to make that determination.

2. The JRemote application has a much nicer user interface than the SimAudio app plus it has a remote volume control which is nice. No more putting down the iPad to adjust the volume with the URC remote.

3. Speaking of volume, the JRiver application has a nice feature - volume normalization - and now all my files play at the same level regardless of their original encoding. Yayyyy!!!

4. I used a form of playlist with the former setup but it was a bit kludgy (that's a word, right? ) and it was awkward to find and use the lists off the server. Plus, playlists were limited to 200 tracks. With the JRemote app, finding and selecting music or playlists is very very easy and intuitive. Plus, playlists have no limitations on the number of files that can be included. Can you say No Repeated Tracks For Days & Days?

I still have some things to work out:

1. The input level to the pre-amp from the D100 has changed. I used to have the pre-amp volume set to 15 - 18 for normal listening. Right now I have to double that for the same level in the room. Not sure why that is and I'll have dig into this a bit. I don't want to switch from music to TV and blow the back wall outta the house.

2. I'll have to put together a fire sale on WW AES/EBU and COAX cables, along with a SimAudio Moon MiND streamer, then purchase a WW USB cable.

Anybody out there in AA land run into the internal/external volume issue before? I suppose I can go into the MX119 menu and dial up the input volume for that source??? Or do I switch to Variable Audio Out on the D100 and adjust the volume manually at that unit, setting it where I want it?

Bottom Line: I think this will be a good change.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:12 PM
Media Server Aficionado

Friends don't let friends do #3.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:47 PM

LOL...

Emile...thanks for the input.

The solution to the volume issue was changing the analog outputs used on the D100 from "Fixed" to "Variable".

Set the pre-amp at the volume level traditionally used for normal listening and then ramped up the volume on the D100 until it sounded right, i.e., 100%.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:02 PM
Rebellious!

So using the Server's USB out to the DAC vs a network audio adaptor to the DAC, you chose the former. Glad you are enjoying this method.

I look forward to what you think sounds better, but looks like you found a winner with the remote and interface. So, user friendliness could be the factor there.

Having the music in a server close, right next to, the audio playback chain has a clear advantage, especially if it's Silent.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:32 PM

It could be quieter so a Silenzio might be indicated.

The more direct path seems to sound cleaner. I can't say it was an eye opening, jaw dropping change but there are some differences. I am just unable to articulate them in a reasonable and easily explainable fashion.

I'll just say I like the result and we will leave it at that.

User friendliness was an issue. The JRiver / JRemote set up is not for the faint of heart and I will admit I had some very qualified help in getting it set up. My learning curve was sooo steep that I was unable to accomplish the setup on two different occasions and was about to abandon it. Thankfully, cooler heads prevailed. I am now delving into the weird and esoteric world of JRiver.

The most significant difference is a functional one. While I am used to using an iPad to control music, and the user interfaces are pretty similar, what's really really nice is to be able to have a playlist longer than 250 songs, which was a limitation of the streamer based system I had in place.

So, for now I am just going to turn on the monster playlist I put together yesterday, sit back and listen.