AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 05-26-2023, 06:52 PM

11 yo Mac is not OS upgradable now anyway. Time to upgrade.
Old 06-03-2023, 11:56 AM
"Senior" Junior Member

Last December I grabbed a used Hagerman Bugle 3 for $100 ($200 new). It was surprisingly good in it's stock configuration, but it's also easy to modify. Rolling op-amps can be inexpensive (and fun), and lets you fine tune to your tastes. Power supply upgrade is simple and low cost too. If you're handy and ambitious, you can upgrade some caps and resistors, and take it just about as far as you want.

Last edited by knotscott; 06-04-2023 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-08-2023, 04:23 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotscott View Post
Last December I grabbed a used Hagerman Bugle 3 for $100 ($200 new). It was surprisingly good in it's stock configuration, but it's also easy to modify. Rolling op-amps can be inexpensive (and fun), and lets you fine tune to your tastes. Power supply upgrade is simple and low cost too. If you're handy and ambitious, you can upgrade some caps and resistors, and take it just about as far as you want.
Never heard of this unit. I think I'll look the Hagerman up.

Meantime, my computer's gone as far as I can take it, and Apple is coming with yet another OS later this year. Don't want to be four systems behind (the rule of thumb is no more than 3, I think).
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 06-17-2023, 05:06 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
I am considering a move up in the turntable world, which would mean a move from MM to MC cartridges and an external phono stage. A contender for me is the Bryston unit (I am partial to Bryston design philosophy). Extensively reviewed and measured with a lot of commentary on the circuit design here:
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...preamp-review/

Conclusion:
"In my estimation, the Bryston BP2-20 MM/MC is a top-flight example of what a phono stage should be. Unlike some phono preamps that provide so much adjustability that they become almost glorified tone controls; the BP2-20 is focused on simply amplifying those tiny cartridge voltage inputs in the cleanest, most robust manner possible. ...."
The Bryston, with its external power supply, is less than the JC3+ in black; I've seen the silver JC3+ going for about the same price as the Bryston. Not sure why the silver one wouldn't cost the same. But I'm intrigued by it and will look into it more.

And the iMac upgrade voice in my head is quite loud right now. I'm using one at work and like it. The configuration I looked at is $2k, $1820 if I don't max out the RAM. The competition for my checkbook is heating up. I still haven't been playing records much, and need to.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 06-17-2023, 06:34 PM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

I would sell the LS3, it's just sitting in a box unused losing value. Caps don't fare well during long periods of no use. They can leak or dry out.
Old 06-18-2023, 08:19 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelahanty View Post
I would sell the LS3, it's just sitting in a box unused losing value. Caps don't fare well during long periods of no use. They can leak or dry out.
I was, actually, thinking about letting Audio research give it a once-over and making any necessary adjustments. You're right though; even if I do that, when it comes back it'll simply sit here in its box unless my C2300 goes down. It would mean I'd have no back-up, but maybe I should consider selling it.
Old 06-18-2023, 09:21 PM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

I think your preamp is a very reliable unit. The proceeds from an LS3 sale could be used to improve another piece of your system.
Old 07-01-2023, 06:21 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
I think your preamp is a very reliable unit. The proceeds from an LS3 sale could be used to improve another piece of your system.
I should look into that, now that you mention it. True, it is my main back-up unit, but it's not doing anything now. There's a slightly older B&K Sonata preamp as well, and it hasn't seen action since 1994. I'd be afraid to try it at this point. Maybe I should take my chances and look into moving both.

The situation has some added factors now. I need surgery to address some neurological/orthopedic issues in my elbow, wrists and hands, which isn't a right-now thing, but I shouldn't wait too long either, says the orthopedic. Success depends upon having the procedure soon as possible, within a reasonable time frame; 6 months, for example, would be too long. Insurance should cover it all, but you never know.

A new contract was negotiated by my union, and there's a pay raise in it. And another retro check. We won't see that until next year though. No help now.

And, I was reminded today of the SweetVinyl Sugar Cube, which I had wanted before but it was unavailable. I'm considering ditching the phono pre and getting an SC-1 or SC-2; the SC-1 Mini/Phono comes with a built-in phono stage, but I have no idea what it sounds like. The phono stage adds another $500 to the SC-1 Mini's regular price, but I'd think it doesn't approach the onboard phono pre in my C2300. I have older LPs that the SweetVinyl unit could help. Definitely a consideration, if it's available.

Last edited by prepress; 07-01-2023 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-01-2023, 08:14 PM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

Hope your health issues are resolved and you return to good health. In the last year and a half my wife has had knee and shoulder replacements. I understand, thankfully Colleen is greatly improved, her health is good!
Old 07-09-2023, 01:35 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Hope your health issues are resolved and you return to good health. In the last year and a half my wife has had knee and shoulder replacements. I understand, thankfully Colleen is greatly improved, her health is good!
My best to you and your wife on the health challenges. I'm trying to work out the schedule for the surgery around the vacation schedule at work and finding someone who will come get me from the hospital once everything's over. They won't let me out unless someone comes to get me; That's the most difficult part of the surgery!

Last week I bought a mattress, and with everything it comes in at $1864. I'm now exploring whether I can swing both the new iMac and a phono preamp this year. The question isn't whether the money's available but how much of a hole do I want to dig in my checking account. The SweetVinyl is off the table and though it would help my older records, it's still not available. I still have the two trips to consider as well, one to DC and one to Houston. I've already spent $3100 on glasses and a mattress (about the cost of a JC3+). I'm intrigued by the Luxman E-250, about $2400 MSRP, though I've seen it for much less than that; a retailer in Indonesia has it for about half-price! I don't want to deal with overseas, frankly.

Meantime, I STILL need to start playing records again. If I don't do that, why bother?