AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Photography

Photography Digital & Film Buffs here

Old 11-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Mac + Ayre + Vivid + Stax

Starting to feel it... The chrome looks nice!
ACDC - Back in Black. Adele - 19. Bryan Adams - Bare Bones. Diana Krall - Live in Paris; When I Look in Your Eyes. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms. Don Williams - Borrowed Tales. FleetwoodMac - Tango in the Night. Frank Sinatra - At the Sands. Genesis - A Trick of the Tail. Gipsy Kings - Love Songs. Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark. Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert. Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear. Marta Gómez - Entre Cada Palabra. Metallica - Metallica. Michael Jackson - Thriller. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed. Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder; Wish You Were Here. Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Live in Japan. U2 - Rattle and Hum.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:40 PM

I like the manual controls and the overall look of the camera . Is it just me or does 3 grand seems high for a 16 megapixel camera with no video or built in flash. The Fuji XE-2 is 16 megapixels and does more in a smaller lighter retro package for 1/3 the price .
Old 11-04-2013, 11:09 PM

David
Since when don't we audiophile types expect to pay more for a good looking body. The XE-2 may be good but it looks like a $1k camera.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
David
Since when don't we audiophile types expect to pay more for a good looking body. The XE-2 may be good but it looks like a $1k camera.
I guess I will have to see and handle one in person
Old 11-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Read DP Review's hands-on preview and you can decide for yourself if the Df is worth 3X the price of an XE-2. Their conclusion is Nikon may have gone a little too far with the manual (knob-based) interface (for example, you have to unlock the adjustment knobs every time you use them).

My initial conclusions are that it looks cool, but...it's BIG, it's EXPENSIVE, and too fiddly to be fluid in use.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:45 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
David
The XE-2 looks better than a $1K camera...beauty is in the eye of the beholder, remember?
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
I like the manual controls and the overall look of the camera . Is it just me or does 3 grand seems high for a 16 megapixel camera with no video or built in flash. The Fuji XE-2 is 16 megapixels and does more in a smaller lighter retro package for 1/3 the price
I think the price of $3,000 is REALLY high, regardless of how many megapixels it has. And, it's pretty large....uses standard Nikon lenses, so it will be larger and heavier than a Fuji package. Where Fuji and Oly got it right compared to Nikon is that the cameras (particularly the wonderful little OM-D E-M5) are small, and their lenses are compact, yet optically superb (every bit as good as Canikon's).

I read a LOT of the pro blogs and talk to my pro buddies all the time, and what they ALL want for a general-purpose (i.e., not sports or PJ) system is camera bodies and lenses that are more compact, smaller and lighter, not another big and heavy system. Views about this really change when you have to schlep a full pro kit around EVERY day.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 11-05-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:12 AM

(Deleted ...will make new topic)))
Old 11-05-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I think the price of $3,000 is REALLY high, regardless of how many megapixels it has. And, it's pretty large....uses standard Nikon lenses, so it will be larger and heavier than a Fuji package. Where Fuji and Oly got it right compared to Nikon is that the cameras (particularly the wonderful little OM-D E-M5) are small, and their lenses are compact, yet optically superb (every bit as good as Canikon's).

I read a LOT of the pro blogs and talk to my pro buddies all the time, and what they ALL want for a general-purpose (i.e., not sports or PJ) system is camera bodies and lenses that are more compact, smaller and lighter, not another big and heavy system. Views about this really change when you have to schlep a full pro kit around EVERY day.
That is the whole point, it can use all of Nikon's standard lenses. Very few people who will be interested in this camera will be starting from scratch, they already have other Nikkor lenses. For a full frame camera the weight isn't too bad as it falls in between and is closer to the 7100 than the 610.

I no longer have a desire to lug around heavy cameras or glass and that is why I dumped the D3 for the 7000. The problem is the 7000 is too small for my hands in the grip/lens area and cameras such at the Nikon 1 or Fuji EX2 are just not comfortable to grip.

As far as quality of lenses go, you know better than most that it isn't the gear, it is 90% the photographer.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:39 AM

Joe seems to like it and doesn't find it bulky

Nikon DF « Joe McNally’s Blog

PS: if you don't already follow his blog, I highly recommend it. He's a truly nice guy and he has a great sense of humour.