AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Chinese High-End Audio

Chinese High-End Audio Doge, Eastern Electric, Jungson, Psvane, Yulong

Old 10-19-2016, 06:15 PM

Round 2: PrimaLuna HP integrated vs. McIntosh C2300/MC601

This will be short. The PL integrated simply sounds more like real instruments in real space. More air. Better detail. Deeper soundstage. Better separation of each instrument. Vocals have more body. Much better microdynamics (plucking of strings especially).

The Mac gear still sounds wonderful, but the soundstage is quite flat. The more powerful amps do seem to dig a bit deeper. This combo seems slightly more forgiving. Better at rocking out, especially with more poorly recorded heavy metal (the more forgiving nature keeps the ears from bleeding at higher volume levels).

This makes me even more want to try the DiaLogue Premium preamp and HP monoblock amps. Would the doubling in power over the integrated lead to deeper bass? Some KT150's for power tubes and NOS Mullards for the preamp driver tubes?

Gotta find a way to audition that setup with my Elipsa SE's.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:28 AM

Nice, thanks for the review!
Old 11-22-2016, 05:54 PM

I was worried that I was on Crack or simply going insane. Comparing a Chinese made, relatively inexpensive tube integrated to a stalwart of American audiophile goodness? And have the integrated come out ahead?!? What's wrong with me?!?!?

So, I had to do it again. I brought the PrimaLuna HP integrated back home and redid the comparison. We'll put it this way...my wife, from across the room and cooking dinner spoke out while I was listening to say that my stereo had never sounded better.

Round two of the comparison basically confirmed round one. Better detail, soundstage width and depth, and MUCH better imaging when using the PrimaLuna. This just shouldn't be due to cost differences and audiophile pedigree, but "it is what it is".

Well, now I am smitten and will be looking HARD at the PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium preamp and HP monoblock amps. The McIntosh equipment, despite its beauty, reputation and quality, may be going away...
Old 11-22-2016, 08:06 PM

Thank you for sharing your experience, Kevin. I am another happy PrimaLuna owner (for almost 7 years now). You may find this post (from a different thread) of interest:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/sonus...tml#post714838
Old 11-23-2016, 07:52 PM

Default PrimaLuna (original) Dialogue vs. Dialogue HP

Another happy, very happy PrimaLuna owner here. I still remember driving up to Ivan's Parkland Campus almost 3 years ago to adopt my Dialogue Premium Integrated Amp with KT-120s. Although I have not found it wanting in any way, I just ordered and will have on Friday a pair of Brimar 12AU7 tubes to try. My PL drives Theil CS2.3 loudspeakers really well, and give them bass I never knew they had before I got the PL.
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.

Last edited by robfine; 11-23-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfine View Post
Another happy, very happy PrimaLuna owner here. ...I just ordered and will have on Friday a pair of Brimar 12AU7 tubes to try.
I am also using the Brimar's and they are a fantastic tube. Very neutral but still with a nice midrange. The K120/Brimar 12AU7 pairing is excellent and I hope you will like them as much as I.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:34 AM

Me too. Thanks
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:15 PM

As much as my OCD temps me to sell my DiaLogue Premium integrated, I cannot bring myself to do so.

My wife has essentially claimed that rig and when she sees me moving gear in and out the house I am warned NOT to touch "her" amp! This comes from someone who is TOTALLY disinterested in my hobby/sickness.
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,

Last edited by GreginNH1; 12-18-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:19 PM

I'm really loving the PrimaLuna gear. Just got the DiaLogue Premium Preamp and monoblock HP amps. Absolutely terrific sound. Even though I am still breaking it all in, it is the best my system has ever sounded. Amazing sound quality for the money. Makes me realize how overpriced and overhyped a LOT of audiophile gear is.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:44 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreginNH1 View Post
As much as my OCD temps me to sell my DiaLogue Premium integrated, I cannot bring myself to do so.

My wife has essentially claimed that rig and when she sees me moving gear in and out the house I am warned NOT to touch "her" amp!
Greg.......I can relate to that, especially for one who isn't necessarily an "audiophile" but enjoys good music. There are only two knobs on the DiaLogue Premium integrated amp, Input and Volume. That's perfect for someone who doesn't want to be overloaded with a myriad of switches, button, and knobs just to enjoy listening to their favorite music. That amplifier not only sounds good, it has a unique appearance that is attractive in its simplicity. Your wife has good taste.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A