AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > JL Audio

JL Audio Ahead of the Curve

Old 07-02-2018, 11:02 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Default JL Audio Fathom f113 repair

My Fathom f113 failed to turn on about two months ago. It has been sitting on its Sound Anchor stand in the living room looking nice but doing nothing. I have procrastinated packing this 130 lbs. beast, 147 lbs. in its shipping carton, because it is more than I can physically handle these days. In addition, my living room is upstairs. This means that after I get it in the shipping carton I then must get it to ground level and to the garage for freight pickup. Ugh!

I talked to Randy Wagner, JL Audio's tech support guy, and asked about just shipping the amp to JL Audio. He said that could be done. He also gave me a great tip for getting the amp broken away from the cabinet seal by using 2" machine thread screws slightly larger than the counter sunk holes in the aluminum heat sink. They self tap in the aluminum and as they are screwed in they draw the amp heat sink out of the cabinet recess. It worked like a charm, and after disconnecting several quick connect plug sockets the amplifier came right out. I checked the weight, 33 lbs. Now, if I decide to ship the amplifier to JL Audio it will be a much easier and less expensive proposition than having to freight the entire subwoofer.

I have done a fair amount of research on the f113 amplifier failures and discovered quite a few people experiencing all sorts of issues, not turning on at all, loud hum even when off, pulsing hum, and high frequency squeal before dying. Several people have made repairs themselves and I found some useful information that I am going to take advantage of in an attempt to repair my failure to turn on problem. I am relatively confident it is a capacitor issue in the stand-by power supply. Tonight I ordered 2 different capacitors from Mouser Electronics with a higher temperature rating than the two capacitors I suspect are the culprits. When they arrive I will install them in place of the ones currently installed on the board. Hopefully this will solve my turn on problem and get my Fathom f113 back in service. If not, then the amp will get shipped to JL Audio.

Here are a few photos of the amplifier out of the subwoofer.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 07-03-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:44 PM

Default JL Audio Fathom f113 repair

ing
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
My Fathom f113 failed to turn on about two months ago. It has been sitting on its Sound Anchor stand in the living room looking nice but doing nothing. I have procrastinated packing this 130 lbs. beast, 147 lbs. in its shipping carton, because it is more than I can physically handle these days. In addition, my living room is upstairs. This means that after I get it in the shipping carton I then must get it to ground level and to the garage for freight pickup. Ugg!

I talked to Randy Wagner, JL Audio's tech support guy, and asked about just shipping the amp to JL Audio. He said that could be done. He also gave me a great tip for getting the amp broken from the cabinet seal by using 2" machine thread screws slightly larger than the counter sunk holes in the aluminum heat sink. They self tap in the aluminum and as they are screwed in they draw the amp heat sink out of the cabinet recess. It worked like a charm, and after disconnecting several quick connect plug sockets the amplifier came right out. I checked the weight, 33 lbs. Now, if I decide to ship the amplifier to JL Audio it will be a much easier and less expensive proposition than having to freight the entire subwoofer.

I have done a fair amount of research on the f113 amplifier failures and discovered quite a few people experiencing all sorts of issues, not turning on at all, loud hum even when off, pulsing hum, and high frequency squeal before dying. Several people have made repairs themselves and I found some useful information that I am going to take advantage of in an attempt to repair my failure to turn on problem. I am relatively confident it is a capacitor issue in the stand-by power supply. Tonight I ordered 2 different capacitors from Mouser Electronics with a higher temperature rating than the two capacitors I suspect are the culprits. When they arrive I will install them in place of the ones currently installed on the board. Hopefully this will solve my turn on problem and get my Fathom f113 back in service. If not, then the amp will get shipped to JL Audio.

Jdandy, good to know you finally tackled the job!

My F113v2 amp arrives back from JL Audio tomorrow. It took a total of 3 weeks for the turn around (including shipping). Not bad.
Melco N1ZH60/2 ---> EtherRegen ---> Bricasti M1 SE DAC ---> ASR Emitter II Exclusive Version Blue w/Battery PSU ---> Eggleston Andra III speakers rolling on Stillpoints Ultra 5's ----> Dual Rythmik E15 Subs ---> all tied together Via MIT MA-X RCA IC and MIT Matrix SHD120 Rev.2 Bi-Wire speaker cables.

Last edited by jdandy; 07-09-2018 at 10:46 AM. Reason: correct typos in quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:16 AM

Bad caps cause a host of issues! Crossing my fingers for you Dan.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:48 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
Bad caps cause a host of issues! Crossing my fingers for you Dan.
Mike.......Thanks. A bit of positive energy never hurts.

My research has turned up several people's f113's that have been successfully restored by replacing the 100uf/35volt/85C cap (red arrow) with a 100uf/35volt/105C cap. I may also replace the 33uf/400volt/85c cap (yellow arrow) with a 33uf/400volt/105C cap. I should have the two capacitors by Friday. I hope this solves my issue of the subwoofer not powering up. If not then the amp will get shipped to JL Audio for repair. I did find a fuse on the circuit board. It checked good. Shipping a 33 lb amp will be much easier and cheaper than shipping a 147 lb factory carton by freight.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 07-06-2018 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:55 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sircharles View Post
Jdandy, good to know you finally tackled the job!

My F113v2 amp arrives back from JL Audio tomorrow. It took a total of 3 weeks for the turn around (including shipping). Not bad.
sircharles.......What failed with your Fathom f113V2?

Old 07-03-2018, 03:54 AM

Good luck with the repairs Dan.
2CH Room PMC MB2se(2). JL Audio F113(2). McIntosh C1000C/T, MC2301(2). PS Audio Directstream DSD, PowerPlant 20. Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Stradivariv2. Misc: Wireworld Cables and Interconnects. Stillpoints Ultra 5, Ultra SS. GIK Acoustics Bass Traps. DIY Computer Audio Transport. Racks. Adona.
TV&Movies PMC EB1i(2), CB1i, OB1i(2). SVS Ultra16(2). McIntosh MC207. Bryston SP4.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:31 AM

Good to know the amps can be removed for shipping. I have two f110 V1s and I understand that JL even admits the capacitors are prone to failure.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Mike.......Thanks. A bit of positive energy never hurts.

My research has turned up several people's f113's that have been successfully restored by replacing the 100uf/35volt/85C cap (red arrow) with a 100uf/35volt/105C cap. I may also replace the 33uf/400volt/85c cap (yellow arrow) with a 33uf/400volt/105C cap. I should have the two capacitors by Friday. I hope this solves my issue of the subwoofer not powering up. If not then the amp will get shipped to JL Audio for repair. I did find a fuse on the circuit board. It checked good. Shipping a 33 lb amp will be much easier and cheaper than shipping a 147 lb factory carton by freight.

Valuable information here. Will keep for future reference as I might need it! Thanks!!
Old 07-03-2018, 09:02 AM
♫ Now playing... ♫

Dan,
Ugh, indeed. I'm sure you'll have a lot people following your journey. There's certainly a lot of discussion about this issue. Hope your F113 is back in your system making music in short order. Good luck!
McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
sircharles.......What failed with your Fathom f113V2?
When i received word that the Amp was fixed via email, I called JL Audio to ask for specifics but they haven't gotten back to me. i can let you know as soon as i hear back from them.

Btw... if you get to the point of shipping to JL audio and need a box with padding/foam i can send you the one i received from JL Audio. The shape of the amp plate is odd making it awkward to pack. JL Audio sent back the repaired amp in a box that protects the amp quite well.
Melco N1ZH60/2 ---> EtherRegen ---> Bricasti M1 SE DAC ---> ASR Emitter II Exclusive Version Blue w/Battery PSU ---> Eggleston Andra III speakers rolling on Stillpoints Ultra 5's ----> Dual Rythmik E15 Subs ---> all tied together Via MIT MA-X RCA IC and MIT Matrix SHD120 Rev.2 Bi-Wire speaker cables.