AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Old 01-25-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Very nice! Sounds great as a system of this caliber should.

I'm a bit confused, do you mean the Mariinsky Orchestra? Mariinsky Theater is in St.Petersburg while The Bolshoi is in Moscow.

Valery Gergiev is the chief conductor of Mariinsky Theater Orchestra (was called Kirov during the Soviet days) in St.Petersburg.
Thank you and yes, it's the Mariinsky Theater orchestra.

"The Mariinsky Theatre can trace its history as far back as 1783, when a*Decree on the*establishment of a*theatre committee “for performances and music” was published on 12*July and the*BOlSHOI Stone Theatre was opened on Carousel Square amid great pomp on 5*October. The*theatre gave the*square its new name*– even today it is known as Theatre Square.
Built according to plans by Antonio Rinaldi, the*Bolshoi Theatre staggered the*public with the*sheer scale of its dimensions, its majestic architecture and its stage, equipped with the*most up-to-date theatre equipment and machinery. Giovanni Paisiello’s opera*Il*mondo della luna*was performed at the*opening. The*Russian Opera Company performed here in turn with the*Italian and French Companies, and there were also plays and concerts of vocal and instrumental music."

Last edited by SCAudiophile; 01-25-2021 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post

"The Mariinsky Theatre can trace its history as far back as 1783, when a*Decree on the*establishment of a*theatre committee “for performances and music” was published on 12*July and the*BOlSHOI Stone Theatre was opened on Carousel Square amid great pomp on 5*October. The*theatre gave the*square its new name*– even today it is known as Theatre Square.
Built according to plans by Antonio Rinaldi, the*Bolshoi Theatre staggered the*public with the*sheer scale of its dimensions, its majestic architecture and its stage, equipped with the*most up-to-date theatre equipment and machinery. Giovanni Paisiello’s opera*Il*mondo della luna*was performed at the*opening. The*Russian Opera Company performed here in turn with the*Italian and French Companies, and there were also plays and concerts of vocal and instrumental music."
I've seen them both in person. Fantastic. Highly recommend a trip to both Moscow and St.Petersburg when it is safe to do so again. Both cities are culturally up at the top of the list.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I've seen them both in person. Fantastic. [emoji106] Highly recommend a trip to both Moscow and St.Petersburg when it is safe to do so again. Both cities are culturally up at the top of the list.
Yes, definitely the 2 Bolshoi theaters that exist in Russia have been on my bucket list for many years.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:

Mark, really enjoyed the video. I have said in the past that of all the systems on AA, yours is the one I would like to hear the most. Your system represents a comprehensive approach to removing the room from the equation, so that no room treatments are needed. It is a valid approach to the high end and one that I respect. As Legacy's research continues I am sure they offer software updates and then eventually speaker updates. It's a comprehensive approach where the whole system works together synergistically to create the illusion of the real thing.

I believe in sound signatures. While I respect and admire the audiophile that has amassed gear of many different brands to achieve the desired result, this path is not my choice. I go with Mac/Wilson/AQ and would never, for example, replace an AQ power cord with a Shunyata cord of similar quality, or introduce foreign gear into my Mac gear to determine if I like it better. Maybe I like it better today but not the next, etc.

Your approach therefore makes more sense to me than anything I have seen on AA. Your sound signature is Legacy, period, as I understand your system, of course with ancillary gear Legacy does not provide. I think you understand your system better than most. IMO it takes months of listening to many different CD's, SACD's, USB, etc. to determine if the gear in question is sonically superior. If you have the time and money, the high end is the endless ultimate hobby.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 01-25-2021 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Mark, really enjoyed the video. I have said in the past that of all the systems on AA, yours is the one I would like to hear the most. Your system represents a comprehensive approach to removing the room from the equation, so that no room treatments are needed. It is a valid approach to the high end and one that I respect. As Legacy's research continues I am sure they offer software updates and then eventually speaker updates. It's a comprehensive approach where the whole system works together synergistically to create the illusion of the real thing.

I believe in sound signatures. While I respect and admire the audiophile that has amassed gear of many different brands to achieve the desired result, this path is not my choice. I go with Mac/Wilson/AQ and would never, for example, replace an AQ power cord with a Shunyata cord of similar quality, or introduce foreign gear into my Mac gear to determine if I like it better. Maybe I like it better today but not the next, etc.

Your approach therefore makes more sense to me than anything I have seen on AA. Your sound signature is Legacy, period, as I understand your system, of course with ancillary gear Legacy does not provide. I think you understand your system better than most. IMO it takes months of listening to many different CD's, SACD's, USB, etc. to determine if the gear in question is sonically superior. If you have the time and money, the high end is the endless ultimate hobby.

Best

Charles
Charles, thank you very much for the positive comments and wishes. You are welcome as I've previously mentioned any time.

Legacy and Bohmer do provide software updates periodically for Wavelet syscon software as well as Bohmer processing algorithms. All downloadable from Legacy/Bohmer thru Wavelet software web interface using Android, iPhone, iPad or laptop. Download, reboot and go,...could not be any easier.

There will also eventually be a hardware platform upgrade for Wavelet,...it's 24/96 Apodizing DAC, digital input capabilities and 56-bit DSP and Room Correction bit depth and algos are potential to be upgraded at some point.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:33 AM

Mark, I remember years ago when I was in med school. My father had moved and the new house had a very large great room, perfect for his beautiful Concert Grands. Of course they blew away my puny by comparison system with my Mac 275 amp. I was surprised to hear his "sound enhancement" by some rear speakers. At first i really liked it but they after a day of listening I went back to the original stereo sound.

Many folks apply digital room correction to their systems. Look at the recent TAS issue 313 Feb 2021 p.56 where Dirac Live is incorporated. It got an excellent review. However, I'm quite certain that I would not like the artifacts introduced, and would eventually return to the "stereo sound".

There are many passive ways to tame a room. This is my preference. The one exception is your system, which is a ground up comprehensive approach, where the sound can be incrementally improved. It's an extremely valid approach. I'm glad someone on AA employs it. I think TAS should contract with you, using your system as a reference, to review digital room correcting gear that is introduced into an existing system, to determine its effectiveness.

You have a true reference system when it comes to this approach. A lot of this type gear is on the market and TAS needs a reference system and skilled reviewer who understands digital room correction by which to review them. Substituting the device into your system would be lots of fun.

Best

Charles

p.s thank you much for the invitation. Someday if we are still alive I will take you up on it.

Last edited by Charles; 01-26-2021 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Mark, I remember years ago when I was in med school. My father had moved and the new house had a very large great room, perfect for his beautiful Concert Grands. Of course they blew away my puny by comparison system with my Mac 275 amp. I was surprised to hear his "sound enhancement" by some rear speakers. At first i really liked it but they after a day of listening I went back to the original stereo sound.

Many folks apply digital room correction to their systems. Look at the recent TAS issue 313 Feb 2021 p.56 where Dirac Live is incorporated. It got an excellent review. However, I'm quite certain that I would not like the artifacts introduced, and would eventually return to the "stereo sound".

There are many passive ways to tame a room. This is my preference. The one exception is your system, which is a ground up comprehensive approach, where the sound can be incrementally improved. It's an extremely valid approach. I'm glad someone on AA employs it. I think TAS should contract with you, using your system as a reference, to review digital room correcting gear that is introduced into an existing system, to determine its effectiveness.

You have a true reference system when it comes to this approach. A lot of this type gear is on the market and TAS needs a reference system and skilled reviewer who understands digital room correction by which to review them. Substituting the device into your system would be lots of fun.

Best

Charles

p.s thank you much for the invitation. Someday if we are still alive I will take you up on it.
Charles, to your last comment about being alive or not,...

Only the good die young so we are safe [emoji2]

Thank you again for the compliments!
Old 12-26-2021, 11:35 AM

Santa's sleigh was weighed down by a 96 lb shipping carton this year so he made an early dropoff on Christmas Eve [emoji1787]

Esoteric C-02X preamp that approaching 40 hours in, has me a bit scared at the prospect that it will sound even better after I put 275-350 hours on it as Esoteric gear always improves.....

A phenomenal preamp and big upgrade over the performance of the C-02 I owned for a few years previously!20211224_155825-2.jpeg20211224_155842-2.jpeg
Old 12-26-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Santa's sleigh was weighed down by a 96 lb shipping carton this year so he made an early dropoff on Christmas Eve [emoji1787]

Esoteric C-02X preamp that approaching 40 hours in, has me a bit scared at the prospect that it will sound even better after I put 275-350 hours on it as Esoteric gear always improves.....

A phenomenal preamp and big upgrade over the performance of the C-02 I owned for a few years previously!Attachment 66303Attachment 66304
Mark, terrific upgrade! A gorgeous piece of gear. Esoteric makes some of the finest ultra-high-end gear in the world. Pre's make a tremendous difference in the sound, especially in your system. Absolute congrats! Santa definitely came down your chimney Christmas Eve.

Best

Charles
Old 12-26-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Mark, terrific upgrade! A gorgeous piece of gear. Esoteric makes some of the finest ultra-high-end gear in the world. Pre's make a tremendous difference in the sound, especially in your system. Absolute congrats! Santa definitely came down your chimney Christmas Eve.

Best

Charles
Thank you Charles! Glad he stopped by before the "spiced up eggnog" lap [emoji1787]