AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Cary Audio Design

Cary Audio Design Superior Quality and Value

Old 10-25-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack66184 View Post
Looking forward to reading your review!
Sylvania 6SN7GT vintage - nice clean typical NOS sound, mid sound stage. Nothing overly noticeable. Maybe a tad tipped up on high frequency on my system.

Tung-Sol 6SN6GTB - forward midrange, wide sound stage, not as deep. Full sounding and a tad rolled of on top at 40hrs burn in.

TJ Full Music 6SN7 (now NOS) - Nice smooth, deep soundstage at first. More musical at strings and piano early on. Then got veiled over for a bit during burn in at 20hrs. At 40hrs started opening back up and getting fuller - slowly. 100hrs burn in required I'm told. So far so good. We'll see how long long they last.

RCA Black Plates - already tried them a while back. Nice, sound similar to my Sylvanias.

Letting the TJ FM tubes run. Don't want to pull them out, just enjoying them. My buddy runs them in his Dennis Had Inspire and likes them a lot too.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Bombadil,

By chance was this your post on AK about $78,000 VAC amps using new Tung Sol 6SN7s? https://audiokarma.org/forums/index....#post-11965490

Yes, it was. I made contact with someone from VAC and they told me that they loved the new production Tung-sol. They said they liked some vintage tubes better but they could not reliably obtain vintage tubes in quantity which met their testing standards. The new T-S can be purchased in any quantity and a high percentage of them test well.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
Yes, it was. I made contact with someone from VAC and they told me that they loved the new production Tung-sol. They said they liked some vintage tubes better but they could not reliably obtain vintage tubes in quantity which met their testing standards. The new T-S can be purchased in any quantity and a high percentage of them test well.
It would be interesting to hear those VACs with the new-production tubes they were designed to run, and see if NOS sounds better or worse.

Last edited by decooney; 10-28-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:40 PM

The new reissue TS 6SN7 smooth out a little more with some break in time. Not as 3 dimensional or textured as some of my NOS tubes or newer TJ Full Music. For less $ they certainly hold their own with fullness and a nice tone. For new production not too bad in my system. It's been fun trading back comparing.

Last edited by decooney; 12-28-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-17-2021, 03:45 AM

Two years later, new TS 6SN7GTB re-issue tried them again -

Checking a quad of 6SN7s for possible noise in my preamp, just for grins I popped in the new-reissue Tung Sol 6SN7GTBs again two years later. They had fewer hours on them and kept them around for testing. I let them run in for a few days this time. While waiting, I re-read in a few places on different forums how common these new birds are now days for use in new tube preamps and amplifiers instead of NOS. Known as the "5692" replacement.

Trying again, noticed:
-dead quiet
-not so recessed or deep staged as some of my NOS 6SN7s are
-midrange comes forward, immediately, front and center and all across the front (nice)
-they do clear up and open up more after first hour of play each time i fire them up
-sound stage opens up after you put more time on them, improves each time now
-can actually be quite musical, particularly in the midrange, better than some of my NOS
-grainy at first when band new, and its true, this DISAPPEARS after 50hrs+ of burn-in
-3D holographic affect kicks in more so after they've been playing 2+ hrs

Kinda fun to try these every once in a while again. Maybe they just have gotten better with more play time on theme since brand new, i don't know.

Anyone else running these new birds as your primary 6SN7 now?
Old 12-17-2021, 06:15 PM
Retired

I run them in my SLP-98P and am pleased.
However, like all my small signal tubes, I run the them 24/7. They are good for years, so not worried about minimizing hours on them. They do a very good job.

Unfortunately, my SLP-98P will be gone once my new Pass Labs INT-25 arrives (still some weeks out). Am sure I will miss it, but.............. times marches on.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 12-18-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-18-2021, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
I run them in my SLP-98P and am pleased.
However, like all my small signal tubes, I run the them 24/7. They are good for years, so not worried about minimizing hours on them. They do a very good job.
Good to know, running them in my SLP-98 preamp now too. All four spots.

Compared to my TJ Full Music / Sophia Electric 6SN7s which have a tad more depth and clarity, the newer re-issue TS 6SN7s have more weight, body, more forward midrange closer to the front of the sound stage. The TS 6SN7GTBs eventually offer clarity but the preamp needs to be powered on over 30 minutes+. Not sure if this will change after I get 200hrs or on them. If I use my OCC interconnects, they are plenty transparent and plenty of depth. Swapping back to my OFC copper interconnects adds a little weight back in with these re-issue TS6SN7GTBs.

Both types sound good for different reasons.

Last edited by decooney; 12-19-2021 at 03:44 PM.