AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Events & Demos

Events & Demos Manufacturer & Dealer Sponsored Events

Old 05-01-2020, 09:21 PM

Default RMAF 2020 Gaylord Rockies Convention Center

I’ve never been to an audio show, but would think they continue unlike other trade shows because of the need to see/demo lots of equipment at one place.

I’d like to go to RMAF some day, not this round.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:37 AM

No chance I’m going this year. My younger brother nearly died from Covid and I saw first hand what this disease can do to you. No thanks unless there is a solid treatment or vaccine which there most likely won’t be in this time frame.

George
Old 05-02-2020, 02:14 PM

Virtually no chance of a vaccine by then, but they may have worked out a reasonably good treatment regimen/protocol by then? In any event, I won't be going this year as I was diagnosed with PD not long after last year's show. Due to progression I now walk pretty slowly and am somewhat unstable, so the show environment isn't on my list of things to tackle - not this year anyway. Add to that the fact that I'm "really happy" with my system and room, so I'm not "looking for" anything, so why face unnecessary obstacles and/or viruses this year? Not me - sadlly. It will be only the 2nd RMAF I have EVER missed.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:57 PM

What a great time it was at RMAF last year, at the Gaylord! Fantastic venue. This year, I told myself I would only attend one show and had decided on AXPONA. With that now out the window, RMAF is my only option this year. My guess is that legal liability concerns will put the nail in the coffin for this year.

Problem is, like many of us, I fall directly into the vulnerable category for the virus. The really scary thing is falling ill with any sort of respiratory illness 1,500 miles from home, and at some altitude. They will presume it's covid until proved otherwise and quarantine you. And you don't know any of the doctors there, pretty scary.

My hope is that the summer heat and intense sunlight will put the hurt on the virus and it fades away like SARS did in 2003. But, it's not looking likely. There won't be a vaccine by then, but there is news almost daily about new agents showing inhibition of viral replication and the ability to blunt the cytokine storm that is killing so many people.

Weird -- the older and more decrepit my ears get, the greater my desire to buy newer and better "audiophile" gear!
Old 05-05-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadawg View Post
No chance I’m going this year. My younger brother nearly died from Covid and I saw first hand what this disease can do to you. No thanks unless there is a solid treatment or vaccine which there most likely won’t be in this time frame.

George
Has your brother recovered? (wish all the best to him and your family)
Old 05-05-2020, 08:26 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post
What a great time it was at RMAF last year, at the Gaylord! Fantastic venue. This year, I told myself I would only attend one show and had decided on AXPONA. With that now out the window, RMAF is my only option this year. My guess is that legal liability concerns will put the nail in the coffin for this year.

Problem is, like many of us, I fall directly into the vulnerable category for the virus. The really scary thing is falling ill with any sort of respiratory illness 1,500 miles from home, and at some altitude. They will presume it's covid until proved otherwise and quarantine you. And you don't know any of the doctors there, pretty scary.

My hope is that the summer heat and intense sunlight will put the hurt on the virus and it fades away like SARS did in 2003. But, it's not looking likely. There won't be a vaccine by then, but there is news almost daily about new agents showing inhibition of viral replication and the ability to blunt the cytokine storm that is killing so many people.
Hi Marc, good to hear from you...I'm taking a wait and see approach....when you cut through all the media and noise, the fact is we still have 5 months to go and a lot can happen (hopefully positive happenings!). I realize they'll have to make a decision long before October, but remember, the show last year was a little bit in jeopardy due to lack of exhibitors etc relatively close to the dates, so we'll see. I really hope it happens, have a great time with all you guys every year.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 05-05-2020, 09:10 PM

I hope it happens with all known precautions in place.

Given the uneven demo experience at shows maybe I’ll be able to reserve audition space in the rooms I really want to listen to - instead of some asshole sitting next to me talking through an entire demo and bitching that their system sounds better anyway and how can they demo this dreck and expect people to pay for it when there is much better available from zyx and built by some has-been or god himself and cheaper too.

It’s likely they will have to do something like that anyway - control how many people are in a room at one time.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 05-06-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
Has your brother recovered? (wish all the best to him and your family)

Thanks for asking!!! He did recover after 9 days on a ventilator. Doing well now but several weeks out he’s still weak. He was the only one in ICU that week that survived. Scary for sure!

George
Old 05-06-2020, 02:58 PM
Retired

Good for him!! That would definitely be scary. Is he near you in TX?
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 05-07-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadawg View Post
Thanks for asking!!! He did recover after 9 days on a ventilator. Doing well now but several weeks out he’s still weak. He was the only one in ICU that week that survived. Scary for sure!

George
Very glad to hear he will recover!