AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 05-17-2022, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
Personally I wouldn't say you are at the end of the journey until you've also listened to some of the old standards, like US made Tung Sol or GE 6550s, or their British KT 88 counterparts. Yes they are expensive to buy, but if you have other toob rolling friends, they can always help you out with a loan or bring some by for a listening session.

I do this with Dennis all the time....
If I lived near Dennis and he was up for it I’m sure I’d take advantage too! Lol!

I am listening to another great combo so I guess I’m not done rolling. I’m going through tubes I’ve bought over the last little while. The combo of a Sylvania 6f8g, Mullard 6aq5, and RCA 5y3g sounds amazing. I still have some French Miniatron, and Telefunken 6aq5 tubes to try. I haven’t given up on the Brimar 6aq5 but I haven’t found an input tube that is satisfying with them yet.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:18 PM

I have given up on the 6aq5. No matter which ones I try and the input tube used there is a distortion in the upper midrange that I can't get rid of. I was using them with a 5y3 rectifier but I think I was still feeding them too much voltage on the plates and the screen. Oh well. I have an amp coming later in the year that will be able to use them.
Old 05-23-2022, 08:57 PM

These GE 6k6gt tubes (labeled CBS) really are great. And so cheap! I'll be switching between these and the GE 6bg6ga for the next little while. I love finding great sounding cheap tubes!
Old 05-25-2022, 09:04 PM

Thanks for accepting me in the forum. I’ve probably read the last two pages as I was evaluating a purchase of a KT-88 SEP made in 2021. Unfortunately, as I was about to execute the transaction, the seller changed his mind about shipping and made it a requirement for local pick-up only (he lives 5 hrs away). So, I’m back to square one. Will keep an eye out eBay (Dennis did reply to me twice when I asked him questions on that specific amp). Hopefully, one will come up soon and or I will ask Dennis if it’s possible to commission one.

Btw, I’m also in line for Decware’s 6 watt SET amp. Curious if any members have used Decware amps and how they compare to Inspire. Both brands seem to have excellent reputation and I feel Decware maybe has a bit bigger following (and a longer line) because of the couple of high profile YouTuber reviews in the past two years.
Old 05-25-2022, 10:10 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

khashmi… Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 05-25-2022, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khashmi View Post
Thanks for accepting me in the forum. I’ve probably read the last two pages as I was evaluating a purchase of a KT-88 SEP made in 2021. Unfortunately, as I was about to execute the transaction, the seller changed his mind about shipping and made it a requirement for local pick-up only (he lives 5 hrs away). So, I’m back to square one. Will keep an eye out eBay (Dennis did reply to me twice when I asked him questions on that specific amp). Hopefully, one will come up soon and or I will ask Dennis if it’s possible to commission one.

Btw, I’m also in line for Decware’s 6 watt SET amp. Curious if any members have used Decware amps and how they compare to Inspire. Both brands seem to have excellent reputation and I feel Decware maybe has a bit bigger following (and a longer line) because of the couple of high profile YouTuber reviews in the past two years.
I don't have any experience with Decware though I've looked at them over the years. What is the waiting list like these days? One difference I can point out is that Dennis encourages tube rolling. Not only of different brands of the same tube but of completely different kinds of tubes altogether. It's a very different approach than most amplifier designers use. I have gone a bit nuts trying all sorts of different tubes and have really enjoyed the flexibility.
Old 05-25-2022, 10:45 PM

Are there any rectifiers that I can use in the kt88 firebottle that would get the plate voltage down to 250v? As a followup, does anyone have estimates of what voltages you get with the different rectifiers?
Old 05-26-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
khashmi… Welcome to AA!
Thanks for accepting me!
Old 05-26-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacc7 View Post
I don't have any experience with Decware though I've looked at them over the years. What is the waiting list like these days? One difference I can point out is that Dennis encourages tube rolling. Not only of different brands of the same tube but of completely different kinds of tubes altogether. It's a very different approach than most amplifier designers use. I have gone a bit nuts trying all sorts of different tubes and have really enjoyed the flexibility.
Hi Issac, this is helpful. Last time I checked, the waiting list is almost 1500 ppl strong. I’m 700 and change (ordered on Black Friday 2021).
Old 05-26-2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khashmi View Post

There is one on ebay right now.