AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 03-29-2021, 08:39 AM

Does your system sound "less full" when using it for two channel listening, multi-channel listening or both? Are you using subwoofer/s for your two channel listening? The reason I ask is that while also searching for that magic pill, I went through a similar period where I had trouble finding that sweet spot in my system's sound. The one addition that made the most significate and immediate improvement in my system sounding full and warmer was a REL sub-bass subwoofer for two-channel listening. It turned out to also be the most economical improvement to my system's overall sound quality. An easier tweak would be trying slightly different main speaker orientations. Try toeing your Revels out a little more. The result might be more subtle but it doesn't cost anything but a little time.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVphile View Post
Third, my Revel Ultimas all have aluminum-alloy dome tweeters and aluminum midrange woofers; aluminum is known to have a tendency to be somewhat bright and even at times a bit harsh sounding.
Of all the possibilities, this may be one of the most salient. These are, apparently, the original Studios (which I used to own) and the newer ones are significantly superior in almost every way. Consider a change here, if you insist "I am not about to return my new speaker cables....."
Old 03-29-2021, 12:55 PM
George

First off, really sorry to hear about your result. It is really frustrating to have a good result undercut with a bad one. Good old systems, change one thing and you get a cascade of changes. I can easily see myself telling someone, “yeah, I bought a new speaker cable, and it cost me $100K.”

I will say from a high level, the change you heard was what happens with greater transparency. I find an amplifier about ten years newer is typically a “wow” that sounds better and typically by being more natural with more lower midrange and bass. About fifteen years ago I replaced my 20 year old Threahold T2 and it sounded tinny and gutless in comparison with the Pass amp I replaced it with. I guess this points to a likely problem, replacement of any old piece of equipment is likely to result in a significant improvement in performance of that piece resulting in exposing a weakness elsewhere. I will say I agree with Kevin, ‘wack a mole’ is a very really likely outcome.

On the other hand, tremendous opportunity for a component upgrade cycle.

If you really liked the Krell, a newer Krell might be a good choice. I am partial to Pass designed solid state amps. But in my mind tube amps recently became a possibility with Audio Research adding microprocessor control for auto biasing and extending tube life.

After decades of reading reviews I can pretty much make a component decision without going to a dealer. But maybe read lots of reviews form your opinion. Then call up a dealer and have him set up a demo with defined equipment so you can hear 2 or 3 choices. When I fly across the country I’ll call a dealer a week before and explain my preferences and what I might want to hear. Then I show up at the appointed time.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.

Last edited by George Prentice; 03-29-2021 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVphile View Post
Recently, I changed my speaker cables from 20-year old Transparent MusicWave Super (bi-wired) cables to new WireWorld Silver Eclipses. There is no question whether the result was worthwhile; the improved clarity is really rather remarkable. However, in one regard -- what I'll call "fullness" -- my new sound is less satisfying. I am not about to return my new speaker cables, so I am asking my fellow audiophiles about the likelihood of being able to "have my cake and eat it, too" by now updating my power amplifiers.

At present, I use two 20-year old Krell amplifiers (the FPB 200C for left/right; FPB 250MC for center channel) to drive my Revel Ultima Studio and Voice loudspeakers. I recognize that Krell, among others, have made significant technical improvements in their amplifier designs and performance. Would Krell's new XD amplifiers provide a "richer" sound than my current models? Are there other manufacturer's amplifiers I should consider as upgraded replacements?
I just found myself in the exact same situation. I wonder if I would improve the bottom end of the overall presentation going from a 85W amplifier (4 ohms) to 150W
Old 04-02-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabellum View Post
I just found myself in the exact same situation. I wonder if I would improve the bottom end of the overall presentation going from a 85W amplifier (4 ohms) to 150W
Maybe.
Old 12-27-2021, 08:22 PM

Here's a crazy thought - call or write Transparent and let them know your experience. See if they offer a trade-in/refurb with a home trial.

And I think a vision of what your trying to create as far as sound is a critical first step so you can determine the alternatives and best options. Yes amps can make a difference in your system - I just upgraded from McIntosh to Moon and there is a difference. Yet sources and speakers also make a significant impact.
Old 12-27-2021, 08:30 PM

I have stated in the past that one way to get what you ant is 1) first find speakers that you like and will work well in your room 2) get a amp(s) that will get the most out of your speakers 3) tune the sound to "your desires" with cables.

All of the above assumes you room is properly set-up.