AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 07-15-2012, 07:12 PM

Default Shindo Power Cords

I have heard that Shindo voices his amps with those thin gray amp cords that come with the amps. Is this true?

Does Shindo gear sounds best when used with these power cords, or has anyone had experience using a different power cord that has improved the overall performance of his Shindo amps/preamps?
Old 07-15-2012, 08:50 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmarshall View Post
I have heard that Shindo voices his amps with those thin gray amp cords that come with the amps. Is this true?

Does Shindo gear sounds best when used with these power cords, or has anyone had experience using a different power cord that has improved the overall performance of his Shindo amps/preamps?
Yep, that is what the designer recommends, so that's good enough for me.

-M
Old 07-15-2012, 09:20 PM

+1, also amp into wall.

ARC REF6, ARC Ref PH 2SE, ARC Ref 150SE, Esot N-05, SF Oylimpia III, Garrard 301 Reed2p, WW Silver Eclipse 8, Kimber Kable Select IC XLR

C22, MC275, MR78, PS Audio Dac, Tannoy Daltons 12" Red's Tannoy ST200 Tweeters, Kimber IC's, Mac Mini, Transparent ULTRA Speaker.

Marantz 7C, Marantz, 9, & 10B Tuner, Tannoy 15" Red's in York Corner Cabinets

ARC Ref1, ARC VT 100II, MR74, Tannoy Red 12 LSU/12/8, Spider Transcription TT, Nordost Spk Cable

Fisher 400C, MR78, Fisher SA 1000, BenchMark Dac, Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables, Tannoy Supper Red 10" LSU/III/Z Monitors

ARC SP3, MC 30's, MR67, Devore Supper 8's, Wadia i171, MicroMega Dac, Transparent Supper Spk

C20, MC75's, MR71, MS300, Tannoy 12" Golds, Auditorium 23,

C11, (2)Harmon Kardon CitationII, Shindo Montille, MC2505, McIntosh 117, Audio Research ST70, Knight KB85, Pilot Sa 232, Marantz 8B

Scott 130 Preamp, Scott 272 Int, HH Scott 250's MR71 tuner, Tube Guru F2a Mono's,
Old 07-15-2012, 10:27 PM

Just curious but does anyone know if there is any sonic effect when a grounded plug is added to the mix? The power cables that come with the Shindo gear are all two prong.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:45 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhesiv View Post
Just curious but does anyone know if there is any sonic effect when a grounded plug is added to the mix? The power cables that come with the Shindo gear are all two prong.
..If by grounded plug, you mean 'earthed' with a three prong plug ..

Yes, Shindo a/c cords are two prong -

Shindo spends considerable time and effort making sure the gear is designed a certain way. And this level of attention to detail includes the type of a/c cord and proper interconnects (and their special grounding). They are are designed in such a way to be one very important piece of this puzzle.

But, if someone wants to spend money on additional a/c cords, when a free one (which is designed for the gear) comes included, well heck, who am I to stop them! It won't, however, sound better.

There are no 'authorized' Shindo cords on the market that have been tested with Shindo labs gear, despite marketing claims otherwise. I would sell them if that would be the case..

I'm perfectly fine with the included cables. My entire store is wired with them. My field coil Latours are powered with them,etc.

Also, a third prong would negate your abilty to flip the a/c polarity, which is important in some home wiring situations.

Best,
-M
Old 07-15-2012, 10:50 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchperfect View Post
Yep, that is what the designer recommends, so that's good enough for me.

-M
Same here. I now have a drawer with a few extra "anaconda-sized" AC cables.

Thing is ... even if an AC cable could have an impact (and I believe they can in some cases) I can't really pinpoint anything that I'd like to change in the way the system sounds now. I don't like tweaking for tweaking's sake.

Alberto
Old 07-15-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
..If by grounded plug, you mean 'earthed' with a three prong plug ..
yep!

Quote:
But, if someone wants to spend money on additional a/c cords, when a free one (which is designed for the gear) comes included, well heck, who am I to stop them! It won't, however, sound better.
Makes sense...always curious/learning in this neverending pursuit

Quote:
and proper interconnects (and their special grounding)
This has me thinking about the tonearm wiring I have...is it possible to outfit a tonearm with direct wiring with Shindo IC?

------

New Question based on above...

If an isolation transformer were put in place between (Shindo) Preamp or Amp and the wall, would it be preferential to run it with the ground lifted then? Will other pieces then that are grounded through AC cause a problem if connected to the system (via IC)?

Electrical is definitely not my forte...

Old 11-18-2012, 12:56 PM

What are the old "upgraded" Shindo replacement power cords you read about periodically?

How do they compare to the standard ones shipped today?
Old 11-19-2012, 03:42 AM

Hey Richard-

They were available for a short time- They are black, not grey- They were made w/ Belden wire, that eventually became discontinued, so Ken stopped making it-

That's my understanding anyway-

I luckily own both the original & the 'upgrade' versions- No I haven't compared them-

Hope that helps-

David
Old 11-20-2012, 01:58 AM

Mine was the Hirakawa Grey in Schuko two prong from the factory--no use down under--
they should

make Aust/NZ plugs. I personally don't rate adaptors.

Des