AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 09-25-2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrubTheHedgehog View Post
So I did go to XL interconnect. Phenomenal!
Nice!

All my critical paths for IC / SC are Gen 6.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
Any update on the Opus Gen 6 Toga? Should have a few hundred hours on them now.

Hi Tommy,
Sorry for forgetting to report.
It was fine beyond 80 hours, so fine that I did not
Care anymore, it was just disappeared. Now I am
Listening to my player without feeling of listening to
Cables. I can’t explain more because I do not hear its sound anymore.

Toga
Old 02-16-2022, 09:47 PM

Has anyone upgraded to Reference bi-wire adapters/jumpers and if so, how did they work out?
Old 02-18-2022, 05:05 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
I have 4 weeks on my humble Super level Gen 6s (672 hours). Yesterday while watching the Olympics I noticed the sound improved some more. This was a pleasant surprise. My experience with Transparent is they really need a long time to break in.

I've been dealing with hardness in television broadcaster voices. Sound tended to be hard. Yesterday I noticed this went away. These sounds are more relaxed, more resolved. Cables are really coming along. Compared to my old Gen 1's I notice more nuances in the backing vocals and accompanying musicians. It is easier to hear techniques that the musicians are doing such as fingers on guitar strings, piano notes from key strikes to the hammer on the strings, to the decay in the piano box. Male opera arias are reproduced effortlessly. I'll do more critical listening after the Olympics.

I am so happy with the results I ordered a second balanced interconnect to use with my new DAC (my Bryston is still on back order).
Did you move up from Plus? I had an in-store Gen 5 comparison with Plus and Super IC, and the difference didn't seem that big. The Super was a bit more dynamic, perhaps. But, it was unfamiliar equipment, so that may have skewed things. I do have Gen 6 Plus speaker cable and like it. Gen 6 may be a different beast, though. I also compared Gen 5 Plus speaker cable to Kimber 12TC, and preferred the Plus by a hair. Other than being a bit smoother on top, the Plus sounded the same as the Kimber to me. I remain curious about the Super, though I can't go there right now.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 02-18-2022, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
Did you move up from Plus? I had an in-store Gen 5 comparison with Plus and Super IC, and the difference didn't seem that big. The Super was a bit more dynamic, perhaps. But, it was unfamiliar equipment, so that may have skewed things. I do have Gen 6 Plus speaker cable and like it. Gen 6 may be a different beast, though. I also compared Gen 5 Plus speaker cable to Kimber 12TC, and preferred the Plus by a hair. Other than being a bit smoother on top, the Plus sounded the same as the Kimber to me. I remain curious about the Super, though I can't go there right now.
Hi Prepress

YES. That was many years ago. I still run Plus level in my Lynn / Vandersteen 1C system in my smaller room. Back then I learned the Plus is very detailed, but the Super has a blacker background. Also from top to bottom octaves, the Super is more neutral.

Going from Gen 1 to Gen 6, most noticeable difference is more "weight". So I hear more accurate sound pressure from the speakers with better signal transmission through the interconnect / speaker cable chain. The comparison descriptions are through my Classe preamp/ Simaudio Moon W5 and Vandersteen model 2 speakers.

My two systems react differently to cables. My living room system is more picky. You really have to audition with your own equipment to best determine if the upgrade / investment will be meaningful to you. Authorized Transparent dealers usually allow this. Unless you can justify the investment by sound improvement, I can't recommend. I am happy with my upgrades.

Old 02-18-2022, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I upgraded from Plus to Super a year or two ago and I was stunned by the improvement--lower noise flor, better detail. But i'm not too surprised in was hard to tell in the store on unfamiliar gear. Maybe borrow some cables from your dealer for a few days at home?
Old 02-19-2022, 09:19 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
Hi Prepress

YES. That was many years ago. I still run Plus level in my Lynn / Vandersteen 1C system in my smaller room. Back then I learned the Plus is very detailed, but the Super has a blacker background. Also from top to bottom octaves, the Super is more neutral.

Going from Gen 1 to Gen 6, most noticeable difference is more "weight". So I hear more accurate sound pressure from the speakers with better signal transmission through the interconnect / speaker cable chain. The comparison descriptions are through my Classe preamp/ Simaudio Moon W5 and Vandersteen model 2 speakers.

My two systems react differently to cables. My living room system is more picky. You really have to audition with your own equipment to best determine if the upgrade / investment will be meaningful to you. Authorized Transparent dealers usually allow this. Unless you can justify the investment by sound improvement, I can't recommend. I am happy with my upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
I upgraded from Plus to Super a year or two ago and I was stunned by the improvement--lower noise flor, better detail. But i'm not too surprised in was hard to tell in the store on unfamiliar gear. Maybe borrow some cables from your dealer for a few days at home?
I e-mailed the dealer I've worked with on previous Transparent purchases regarding the availability of Super ICs for an in-home audition. Will see what he says. I'm in no hurry. I might plan to upgrade my two most used sources, BD and SACD, but if I do this audition and the difference is significant, there'll be the temptation to spend more money to upgrade all sources, which is problematic financially. My TT has an SME tonearm with a Van Den Hul arm cable; perhaps the Transparent DIN adapter works with it? That's another $330. I'm using Kimber Hero with my MD tuner, and I have no problem with how it sounds. I also have a little-used LD player with MusicLink Plus IC. Since I don't plan to have the player repaired if it breaks, I don't see the point of an IC upgrade there. But consistency would demand I put Super on all sources; practicality says no. I could be starting something here . . .
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 04-23-2022, 06:12 AM
Semi-audiophile

I thought of something, and am mulling it over. I have a pair of Gen 5 Super connecting preamp and power amps. I could use that to do an in-home audition of sorts by putting a pair of Plus on the pre/power connection and putting the Super on my main sources and see what that does. I never heard from the dealer (just as well), so we'll see if my makeshift audition idea gains traction and, if I follow through, yields anything.
Old 04-23-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I thought of something, and am mulling it over. I have a pair of Gen 5 Super connecting preamp and power amps. I could use that to do an in-home audition of sorts by putting a pair of Plus on the pre/power connection and putting the Super on my main sources and see what that does. I never heard from the dealer (just as well), so we'll see if my makeshift audition idea gains traction and, if I follow through, yields anything.
I think you need a new dealer, or maybe an email or phone call to Transparent about demo and/or return policies if you buy direct. My dealer was very quick to offer me home demos of Transparent cables, and he had Transparent send an extra pair or two of demo cables as part of this. Keep in mind that both the dealer and Transparent are selling a very high margin product--service should be excellent.

To your specific question--I'm not quite sure if the trial you propose is right, it sounds like you'd be changing two sets of interconnects at once. I would keep your Supers where they are, swap in a demo set of Supers from the source to the pre, and see if that makes a difference.

Good luck!
Old 04-23-2022, 01:44 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
I think you need a new dealer, or maybe an email or phone call to Transparent about demo and/or return policies if you buy direct. My dealer was very quick to offer me home demos of Transparent cables, and he had Transparent send an extra pair or two of demo cables as part of this. Keep in mind that both the dealer and Transparent are selling a very high margin product--service should be excellent.

To your specific question--I'm not quite sure if the trial you propose is right, it sounds like you'd be changing two sets of interconnects at once. I would keep your Supers where they are, swap in a demo set of Supers from the source to the pre, and see if that makes a difference.

Good luck!
I thought I might get an idea, at least, with that setup. I would swap in the Plus for the Super on the pre/power, then play something on my CD player with Plus, then with Super to hear if that yielded any difference, so i'd be swapping out one pair at a time rather than two at once technically. If there's any positive difference with the Super, then I'd pursue it further.

As for the dealer, e-mail has been hit or miss; calls yield a better result usually. But it is a bummer not to get a reply, true (it's been 2 months), plus the e-mail was to a specific salesman and not the store generally. For all I know that salesman doesn't work there anymore. And I'd rather keep the Super in place, so maybe I'll just wait to have a proper audition. I was also thinking of a SweetVinyl SC-1 or SC-2 or a phono pre as well, and all three can't happen so I need to choose carefully which of the possible changes I go for (if any). Of the three, the Super ICs still have the most traction right now.