AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 01-17-2023, 09:36 AM

Glad you are making progress. I looked at the link provide by Cohabiman - the output switches may be similar to a mute function (not absolute disconnection, just high attenuation).

Try removing the jumper between output 1 and the amplifier. Still hear anything? Then you have an answer for this part. If so, not a fault per se, a design choice. But certainly confirm with McIntosh; I am hypothesizing.

So the bluetooth explains why the popping problem was not at the dealer, but very whacky.

The 8950 is certainly a full featured and very complex beast.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 01-17-2023, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the advice. I’ll try removing the jumper and see what the results are.
What could be causing the popping noise in the speakers when rotating the volume. I can only hear this on one certain track but I’m sure it must exist to some degree in all the playback although just not as noticeable. Dirty power? I wish I would of check this when I had the Claris Concerto in place. At this point this is really the only item thats driving me to take it in for a diagnosis.
Old 01-17-2023, 08:14 PM

Removed both output jumper posts ( 1&2) played music thru Lumin and
with volume at 100% and music is still audible and clear. Doesn’t matter the position on the output switches either. Now what?
Old 01-17-2023, 10:06 PM

What type/kind of cables are you using with the Lumin?
Old 01-17-2023, 10:52 PM

Tributaries Model 8AB Balanced Interconnects
Old 01-18-2023, 11:50 AM

OK, that is strange (music making it thru with jumpers removed). Sounds like time for service visit or tech call.

I guess you could try moving the Lumin cables to different inputs on the McIntosh and see if that makes a difference.

For example, in my Bryston BP-17 cubed pre-amplifier with installed MM phono card, if I having music coming into port 1 and select the phono port as output, I can hear faint music at max volume. This does not happen with the other input ports. It is the internal physical layout and the very high gain of the phono card causing a small amount of coupling/cross-talk. Part of the price of integrated systems. So, I installed shorting plugs into port 1.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.

Last edited by clpetersen; 01-18-2023 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-18-2023, 01:01 PM

Thank you. I will try single ended RCA’s from the Lumin to the inputs on the McIntosh with the output jumpers removed and see what I come up with. I would think this would confirm if there is some communication occurring somewhere inside the McIntosh. Im wondering if anyone else has ever discovered this. I know it’s one of those things you just go looking for. For all I know this could be normal. I just know that with no input connected there is no sound. That’s the only time. If there’s one connected and playing, the jumper posts or outputs cannot stop it from making its way to my speakers. They only cut it way down.
Old 01-30-2023, 11:24 PM

Well the 8950 went it for a
diagnosis last Tuesday, picked
it up today with a clean bill of health. Everything is within specs.
I guess I was chasing ghosts! Or was I? Time to get back in the chair
and relax. A big thanks again to all you for your time
and knowledge.
Old 01-31-2023, 11:22 AM

May I suggest Cardas caps over your unused input terminals. Those help to block outside noise into your integrated.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:23 PM

Just ordered a pair. Thanks for the tip. I’ll let ya know if I hear an improvement.