AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 11-12-2022, 04:44 PM

Default old sonos setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Have to stay vigilant. They have in fact slowed down on their push for S2 products but I don’t trust them anymore. I have had to go through their reset procedure on my S1 equipment and set up new email addresses (accounts) to restart with the S1 app too many times to trust them.

Yup!

Although my old stuff still works, I won’t buy any new products anymore. Last Christmas I got a Roam and it forced me to set it up via S2 app, even though all I wanted to do was use it as a Bluetooth speaker. As if that wasn’t enough, it forced me remove the old stuff from my account along with S1 before I could setup the new speaker and S2. If it recognizes the S1 items, why couldn’t they just work with S2!? Ok, I can understand security concerns and not letting them connect to S2, but why would it force me to delete the S1 products!? That’s shady $#!+ to me and only a matter of time until they hit the kill switch on the S1 collection. I returned the Roam.
Old 11-13-2022, 08:41 PM

Reading this thread. We use Sonos, and I have a friend at Sonos (Principal Engineer at their Santa Barbara R&D center, used to work for me here in Boston).

Had S1 equipment, took advantage of the 'move-up' promotion and traded in for S2 compatible equipment. Not sure if this is still active.

Bottom line: if you are buying equipment intended for streaming and expect >10 year legacy support, fuh·ged·da·boud·it.

Consider: Get the Port (replaces 'Connect') and use your favorite equipment downstream. We do this, and Roon works seamlessly with Sonos. So: Port --> Chord --> Bryston --> Revel. All good.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.

Last edited by clpetersen; 11-13-2022 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-13-2022, 08:54 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

I've read reviews that port doesn't sound as good as connect. kept me from upgrading.
Old 11-14-2022, 08:43 AM

Hi JBT - that is a valid concern, though the DAC in the Port is better than the one in the Connect. In my case, I use it as a digital interface and route thru an external DAC.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 11-14-2022, 09:07 AM

I had my connect modded by W4S. Upgraded clock, galvanically isolated output, etc. So I’ll keep it. Works fine.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 11-14-2022, 11:41 AM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Hi JBT - that is a valid concern, though the DAC in the Port is better than the one in the Connect. In my case, I use it as a digital interface and route thru an external DAC.
My Sonos connect is hooked up to a high end dac. Internet radio sounds really good. When I tell people they're listening to internet radio they're amazed. I have a really high end streamer I use for my downloaded music and CDs I'v ripped to the sam DAC.