AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Balanced Audio Technology

Balanced Audio Technology Balanced Design, Balanced Sound

Old 08-10-2022, 02:46 PM

Default DF-PMD100 Upgrade Chip for BAT VK-D5SE

Anyone have any info on this upgrade chip for the VK-D5SE I came across on EBay? I think it replaces the HDCD chip but I'm really not sure. The seller in Germany hasn't answered my emails which is probably a bad sign to begin with. I found an old post from Lampizator which recommended it. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with it. I have the four tube SE version without the SuperPak version of this player.
Thanks,
Sam
Old 08-10-2022, 03:14 PM
Retired

I would talk directly to BAT. They've always been helpful when I've contacted them.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 08-10-2022, 07:11 PM

I've tried their contact email address on their website and it doesn't work. I'm not and won't be on Facebook so I guess I'm out of options.

Last edited by slovell1; 08-10-2022 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:47 PM
Retired

(302) 999-8855 works for me.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 08-10-2022, 08:51 PM

Thanks.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:38 PM
Retired

You're welcome.
BAT, like MoFi and Music Direct, is owned by Jim Davis. Think Victor is still there, but not sure about Steve and Geoff.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:35 PM

Not to change the subject, but Mr. Davis is apparently in deep with the MoFi scandal at present.
I see Victor posting regularly on AA but never anything to do with BAT. His posts are mostly to do with Ukraine and bicycles.
I'll give them a call tomorrow about this chip. I think it's supposed to replace the HDCD chip and improve the sound but it's probably snake oil. Worth investigating though as it's only $90 shipped.
Regards,
Sam
Old 08-10-2022, 10:49 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovell1 View Post
Not to change the subject, but Mr. Davis is apparently in deep with the MoFi scandal at present.
Sam
Yes. He/they (folks at MoFi) were definitely stupid in their handling of all this. Should have issued a mia culpa, apologized and moved on with full transparency rather then only address the issue when cornered (so it seems).
One wonders if Mikie Fremer, a big proponent of MoFi's vinyl, may resurface there after his recent resignation from Stereophile & Analog Planet.

Oops....... I'm behind on this. Jim Davis did release a mia culpa on 7/28.

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 08-10-2022 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-11-2022, 01:42 AM

Fremer is headed to The Absolute Sound as a senior editor and will be reviving The Tracking Angle. I like reading Mikey's stuff, I just wish he'd review components in an attainable price range. $100K tables and amps are fun to read about but I'll never see or hear one.
When MoFi started using digital files for mastering they should've owned up to it right then right there. These things always come out. I own several of their records but I've never been really impressed by the sound of them. I've always thought the highs were rolled off and buried by too much midrange. Yes, they're flat and quiet but I've got some of the old cheap thin first pressings that just walk all over them. IMHO
Old 08-11-2022, 07:51 AM
Retired

No question MoFi should have been 'honest' from the beginning and handled the aftermath poorly. Can't comment on their current offerings as I've not purchased a MoFi LP in this century. I tried to do so last week, but Music Direct only had six available, none of which was something I would pay to own. I'll wait until I can find a reissue of something I all ready own so can make a direct comparison.

Let us know the outcome if you speak to BAT. Be interesting to know their take on "rechipping".