AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > VPI Industries

VPI Industries Turntables Made in USA

Old 05-14-2012, 10:30 PM

Default VPI Classic 1-2 or three

Can anyone comment as to the construction of the plinth on the VPI Classic line compared to the HW19JR?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:44 AM

I have the Classic 1 and all I can say is that the build quality is very high as the weight will confirm. I love the Classic 1 but can not compare it to the HW19jr which I did not have.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:12 AM

Classic 1&2 share same plinth - only difference is on the 2 there is a vta tower on the fly for the arm.

The classic 3 is totally different plinth with a lot more mass. It looks more modern too. I have not heard the 3 but own the 2.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:08 AM

Should have been more clear, what I was wanting to know is what type of suspension/isolation (if any) is being used. For example the top plate on my JR is one piece that lifts off the plinth and sits on four rubber disks. I'm looking to either modify or build another plinth and am curious about how the newer tables are built.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBattles View Post
Should have been more clear, what I was wanting to know is what type of suspension/isolation (if any) is being used. For example the top plate on my JR is one piece that lifts off the plinth and sits on four rubber disks. I'm looking to either modify or build another plinth and am curious about how the newer tables are built.
Don...VPI no longer makes suspended tables. In fact, the HW19 I think was the last suspended VPI table. The Scout, Scoutmaster, Classic (I,II, and III), Aries, etc...are all mass loaded tables. So no suspended designs anymore.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak

Don...VPI no longer makes suspended tables. In fact, the HW19 I think was the last suspended VPI table. The Scout, Scoutmaster, Classic (I,II, and III), Aries, etc...are all mass loaded tables. So no suspended designs anymore.
That's what I was thinking so making a plinth is pretty simple then. So now I must decide is I want a more modern look like the Scout/Scoutmaster or a more traditional look like the Classic.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:22 PM

Don...I like the look of the Classic but that's just me. So can you tell us more about what you are trying to do here - are you looking to build a plinth around the HW19JR's internals (motor, bearing assembly, sub-platter, etc...) or is this going to be a completely a new, greenfield design from the ground up? Just curious.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak
Don...I like the look of the Classic but that's just me. So can you tell us more about what you are trying to do here - are you looking to build a plinth around the HW19JR's internals (motor, bearing assembly, sub-platter, etc...) or is this going to be a completely a new, greenfield design from the ground up? Just curious.
My JR is currently equipped with a SAMA and has the acrylic platter and inverted bearing, upgrades direct from VPI. So one thought is to reuse these pieces and ditch the VPI HW19JR plinth all together. I was leaning toward mass loading and need to figure out what materials I might use. For the classic look I would go with wood and build in some chambers I could fill with lead shot. Or maybe go with acrylic and use a flat more modern design like the Scout. It's not that the VPI sounds bad I'm just looking for a potential project for the summer.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBattles View Post
My JR is currently equipped with a SAMA and has the acrylic platter and inverted bearing, upgrades direct from VPI. So one thought is to reuse these pieces and ditch the VPI HW19JR plinth all together. I was leaning toward mass loading and need to figure out what materials I might use. For the classic look I would go with wood and build in some chambers I could fill with lead shot. Or maybe go with acrylic and use a flat more modern design like the Scout. It's not that the VPI sounds bad I'm just looking for a potential project for the summer.
I got you Good luck with it. Sounds like fun
Old 05-16-2012, 10:37 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

I am currently modifying my Thorens TD150 using Rubber hose instead of springs to make it more of a mass loaded design in a much more substantial plinth. You might consider this approach. Nice to see a bit of DIY here on AA!
Regards,
Jim