AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 09-27-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djscottyobrien View Post
I am new to the high-end world... although have been in Live Sound production my whole life. I have so many reviews that tubes bring the missing warmth that is removed from your tracks after compression and signal loss. BUT, I have also heard that a tube amp cannot fill that bottom end like a solid state. I figured the MA352 would be the best of both worlds?

I do know that I want to end up with Martin Logan ribbons... I love that sound!

Thoughts please. Don't hold back... educate me
Tubes are wonderful for warmth and body, but they will not cure compression and signal loss. For compression, you should visit the dynamic range database (Google it), and then buy the least compressed versions on Discogs.

For signal loss, I assume you mean lossy digital files. Make sure your files are FLAC or other lossless format. Go with Qobuz or ripped CDs rather than Apple, Spotify, etc.

On tubes vs SS--there are plusses and minuses to each, but I would not rely on adages like "best of both worlds" (no offense). I am "certain" (haha) that tubes are best for both pre and power amp sections. But a comparable SS is likely to have more slam. You should listen for yourself with the MLs at a dealer and preferably at home for a few days before you decide. If you do not have a local boutique dealer, try the Magnolia section at Best Buy.

Enjoy!
Old 09-28-2021, 12:01 PM

I've had my MA352 for 7 months and I'm totally satisfied. It drives my Magnepan 3.7i's with no problems. I also love the way it looks. Highly recommended!
Old 09-29-2021, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSAR View Post
I've had my MA352 for 7 months and I'm totally satisfied. It drives my Magnepan 3.7i's with no problems. I also love the way it looks. Highly recommended!
Glad to hear you are satisfied with the MA352. I have one on order and can hardly wait for it to come in.
Old 10-01-2021, 12:58 AM

Default New MA352 just installed

MA352 ordered on Monday, picked up and installed today. I'm just 2 hours in, so quite far from full break-in. Initial impressions are excellent. System is Focal Sopra 1s, Naim ND5XS2 streamer, AQ interconnects and speaker cable. Dedicated electrical line for hifi only. Streaming Qobuz and Tidal plus local library by Roon. All connected by fiber internet via ethernet. 8 GIK acoustic panels in listening room.

The MA352 is literally DESTROYING the Accuphase E-480 with these speakers. It is sounding full, detailed, refined with punchy and articulate bass. Highs are crisp and precise without going overboard on the beryllium tweeters of the Sopras. Midrange is expressive, round and sweet. Frankly, I may just have to confirm that, for the moment, this amplifier is doing a very fine job.

Currently, max volume level has been 35% and was plenty loud, didn't measure dB level. Low level listening with a full sound is possible for me at 15-20%. Not sure if that will change with break-in. Thanks for reading.

Old 10-01-2021, 10:09 PM

David-

Welcome to this McIntosh place.
Listen is good health to your new 352!

John
Old 10-03-2021, 03:19 PM

Long time ago, playing with the AU-11I tube amplifier, I was interested in Accuphase when I saw one second hand in the shop window. The dealer said it was not my sound. Tried it but no, he was right.
Years later I decided to try McIntosh and he said it would be no problem.
And it wasn't.
Old 10-13-2021, 01:58 PM

Well, I may have spoken too soon. Strange how this business works. Now at 100 hours the MA352 is nearly unlistenable. Very very bright with little bass. The sound is steely, cold with a massive pyrotechnical display of sibilants on male and female voices. Can't believe what I'm hearing. The MA352 is replacing an Accuphase E480 I had on trial which itself was destined to replace a Naim Supernait 2. That amplifier was very very good with the Sopra 1s.
Incomprehensibly, I checked and verified with numerous dealers and owners, in multiple countries by the way, to ensure that the MA352 would marry well with the Focal Sopras. Everyone agreed in the affirmative. What I'm hearing now is totally unacceptable. It's a bit premature but I've alrezdy rolled some current production GL AX and ATs and they're slightly better than the (probably) rebadged JJs from McIntosh. Worse yet, I also acquired some authentic NOS Telefunken 81 and 83 smooth plates. Still too bright. I will spare you the endless power cord, interconnect and speaker cable changes. Atleast three of each recently to experiment. Not sure what went wrong but I'm in deep trouble now.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:25 PM

Default MA352....any love?

Break-in is a funny thing. Sometimes you go backward before you go forward again. Sometimes nothing happens. Some people believe it is your auditory cortex that is breaking in, not the gear you are listening to.

Either way, I guess only more time (another 100 hours?) will tell if you have a pairing that will work for you.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 10-15-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidParis View Post
Well, I may have spoken too soon. Strange how this business works. Now at 100 hours the MA352 is nearly unlistenable. Very very bright with little bass. The sound is steely, cold with a massive pyrotechnical display of sibilants on male and female voices. Can't believe what I'm hearing. The MA352 is replacing an Accuphase E480 I had on trial which itself was destined to replace a Naim Supernait 2. That amplifier was very very good with the Sopra 1s.
Incomprehensibly, I checked and verified with numerous dealers and owners, in multiple countries by the way, to ensure that the MA352 would marry well with the Focal Sopras. Everyone agreed in the affirmative. What I'm hearing now is totally unacceptable. It's a bit premature but I've alrezdy rolled some current production GL AX and ATs and they're slightly better than the (probably) rebadged JJs from McIntosh. Worse yet, I also acquired some authentic NOS Telefunken 81 and 83 smooth plates. Still too bright. I will spare you the endless power cord, interconnect and speaker cable changes. Atleast three of each recently to experiment. Not sure what went wrong but I'm in deep trouble now.
DavidParis, check your EQ settings. The last few days I noticed that my MA352 didn't sound right. I normally leave the EQ off in the settings menu. Last night I found that I had inadvertently turned it on and the EQ knobs were set in a random fashion.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:13 PM

David--Can you return it? If yes, I would do that instead of trying to accommodate something that is obviously wrong (defective?), not just a matter of taste.