AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 10-26-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countingbackwards View Post
Congrats on the purchase!!! Based on the gear that you auditioned...sounds like you were at the same shop that I was, cause the Monbrison, Montille, Giscours and CC80 are what they have on the floor at CDF.

Lots of big orders going to Shindo Labs these days...hope that Ken didn't have a vacation planned for this week!!
Yes, I spent a few days in Montreal last month and stopped in to CDF. Really good experience. It took a few weeks but finally just decided to go all in and order the kit. Hopefully Ken and his son will work overtime to get our orders delivered soon. Congrat's to you as well, I'm sure you will love your new amps as well. I almost went that direction to use with my existing speakers but in the end I really wanted the 300b sound so building up a new system made more sense for me.

Shindo D'Yquems
Shindo Vosne Romanee
Devore 0/96
Luxman PD-171
Dynavector xx2 MkII
Luxman DA-06
Mac Mini
Magnum Dynalab MD 107t
Shindo and A23 Cables
Old 10-26-2013, 03:53 PM

Great set up (holy grail).

Ah ah! CDF audio great boutique.

Last edited by Shindoadict; 10-26-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shindoadict View Post
Great set up (holy grail).

Ah ah! CDF audio great boutique.
Thank you. This is my first experience with CDF. They really are great to deal with. Very knowledgable, friendly and a no pressure atmosphere. Jonathan Halpern was very helpful as well. We spoke at length about my different options and based on that conversation I was able to make an informed decision.

Shindo D'Yquems
Shindo Vosne Romanee
Devore 0/96
Luxman PD-171
Dynavector xx2 MkII
Luxman DA-06
Mac Mini
Magnum Dynalab MD 107t
Shindo and A23 Cables
Old 10-26-2013, 04:49 PM

I use Telefunken 7189 tubes in the Montille, The sound to me is more real with this setup.
That said the Cortese is sounding wonderful with the 15" Tannoy's and ARC Ref. The York Cabs huge at 46" tall.

ARC REF6, ARC Ref PH 2SE, ARC Ref 150SE, Esot N-05, SF Oylimpia III, Garrard 301 Reed2p, WW Silver Eclipse 8, Kimber Kable Select IC XLR

C22, MC275, MR78, PS Audio Dac, Tannoy Daltons 12" Red's Tannoy ST200 Tweeters, Kimber IC's, Mac Mini, Transparent ULTRA Speaker.

Marantz 7C, Marantz, 9, & 10B Tuner, Tannoy 15" Red's in York Corner Cabinets

ARC Ref1, ARC VT 100II, MR74, Tannoy Red 12 LSU/12/8, Spider Transcription TT, Nordost Spk Cable

Fisher 400C, MR78, Fisher SA 1000, BenchMark Dac, Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables, Tannoy Supper Red 10" LSU/III/Z Monitors

ARC SP3, MC 30's, MR67, Devore Supper 8's, Wadia i171, MicroMega Dac, Transparent Supper Spk

C20, MC75's, MR71, MS300, Tannoy 12" Golds, Auditorium 23,

C11, (2)Harmon Kardon CitationII, Shindo Montille, MC2505, McIntosh 117, Audio Research ST70, Knight KB85, Pilot Sa 232, Marantz 8B

Scott 130 Preamp, Scott 272 Int, HH Scott 250's MR71 tuner, Tube Guru F2a Mono's,
Old 10-27-2013, 08:33 PM

Congratulations on your purchase. The wait will be painful. i've had my Orangutans for a few months now and they are amazing. What is your room like?
Old 10-27-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
Congratulations on your purchase. The wait will be painful. i've had my Orangutans for a few months now and they are amazing. What is your room like?
Thank you. My room is fairly large, 15x40 feet. Unfortunately it is a combination living dining room and fully furnished. Due to furniture placement and WAF speaker placement is not perfect. I really wanted to get Shindo speakers but as per Jonathan's advice he suggested I go with Devores for now and when I move and have a dedicated music space where speaker placement can be adjusted then go with the Latour's. I understand the Devores are great and more forgiving regarding placement. Did you experience quite a bit of changes during break in? Was your gear already totally broken in so you could just evaluate the speakers over time? Can't wait to get everything installed.

Shindo D'Yquems
Shindo Vosne Romanee
Devore 0/96
Luxman PD-171
Dynavector xx2 MkII
Luxman DA-06
Mac Mini
Magnum Dynalab MD 107t
Shindo and A23 Cables
Old 10-27-2013, 09:15 PM

There is merit to what Jonathan suggested.

In addition, for me, I purchased a very nice system - but used and older - for a very modest price, to make sure I would actually listen enough to warrant a substantially greater expense. Once I convinced myself, I had less trepidation about purchasing expensive gear, knowing at least that I would use it.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestone View Post
There is merit to what Jonathan suggested.

In addition, for me, I purchased a very nice system - but used and older - for a very modest price, to make sure I would actually listen enough to warrant a substantially greater expense. Once I convinced myself, I had less trepidation about purchasing expensive gear, knowing at least that I would use it.
Yes, Jonathan was very clear after seeing pictures of my room that the Latour's or even more so the new Auditorium 23 horns would not work well. So Devores it was. We are house hunting now and hopefully next year will allow me to consider a speaker upgrade. Congrat's on your amp upgrade. I am sure you will love them. I see you have the Petite Latour's. Are you 100% pleased with them or are you considering going with the big Latour's eventually?

Shindo D'Yquems
Shindo Vosne Romanee
Devore 0/96
Luxman PD-171
Dynavector xx2 MkII
Luxman DA-06
Mac Mini
Magnum Dynalab MD 107t
Shindo and A23 Cables
Old 10-27-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLG4EVR View Post
Yes, Jonathan was very clear after seeing pictures of my room that the Latour's or even more so the new Auditorium 23 horns would not work well. So Devores it was. We are house hunting now and hopefully next year will allow me to consider a speaker upgrade. Congrat's on your amp upgrade. I am sure you will love them. I see you have the Petite Latour's. Are you 100% pleased with them or are you considering going with the big Latour's eventually?
I purchased the petites to test whether my room could handle a larger speaker - and whether my wife could. She objects to the current size but the protests have diminished. The latours are far bigger though. I think more attractive.

I was told by my wise mentor to take incremental steps up the ladder, to learn to appreciate the differences - especially as there is no trade in cost. Hence, that's part of it too. The journey and education.

Frankly, the big latour - or even the petites - are such an expense that it's not only whether they are "better" that matters but whether you feel comfortable spending (not investing as many here say) so much on audio. Even those that can easily afford them may conclude it doesn't make sense.

I could easily live with and be happy with your Devores - which are no compromise at all, the petites or the big latours. You already have an incredible system, such that it's definitely diminishing marginal returns. And some of the difference is obvious only to those that have trained themselves how to listen, not to the music but the sound. That isn't always healthy to be so hyper aware/critical.

I personally think the room is such a huge variable in music reproduction that it would clearly influence my thinking in which speaker. Why spend so much on gear if the room minimizes or negates such an effort? That was my thinking - given my modest room scale, would I get 90% out of the petites and only 75% out of the latours, for example.

To answer your question more directly, yes I probably will get the latours. I do love the petites and could happily stay with them, especially if my room wasn't receptive to the bigger speakers. But the big latours/we300b's are what got me hooked on this and I am trying to recreate that sound - even if Matt had such a great sounding space.

I may move for a year or so which has me in limbo, along with the aforementioned WAF. I will however keep a pair of petites for my office space.

Last edited by Freestone; 10-27-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestone View Post
I purchased the petites to test whether my room could handle a larger speaker - and whether my wife could. She objects to the current size but the protests have diminished. The latours are far bigger though. I think more attractive.

I was told by my wise mentor to take incremental steps up the ladder, to learn to appreciate the differences - especially as there is no trade in cost. Hence, that's part of it too. The journey and education.

Frankly, the big latour - or even the petites - are such an expense that it's not only whether they are "better" that matters but whether you feel comfortable spending (not investing as many here say) so much on audio. Even those that can easily afford them may conclude it doesn't make sense.

I could easily live with and be happy with your Devores - which are no compromise at all, the petites or the big latours. You already have an incredible system, such that it's definitely diminishing marginal returns. And some of the difference is obvious only to those that have trained themselves how to listen, not to the music but the sound. That isn't always healthy to be so hyper aware/critical.

I personally think the room is such a huge variable in music reproduction that it would clearly influence my thinking in which speaker. Why spend so much on gear if the room minimizes or negates such an effort? That was my thinking - given my modest room scale, would I get 90% out of the petites and only 75% out of the latours, for example.

To answer your question more directly, yes I probably will get the latours. I do love the petites and could happily stay with them, especially if my room wasn't receptive to the bigger speakers. But the big latours/we300b's are what got me hooked on this and I am trying to recreate that sound - even if Matt had such a great sounding space.

I may move for a year or so which has me in limbo, along with the aforementioned WAF. I will however keep a pair of petites for my office space.
Very good perspective and attitude toward this hobby of ours. I like the way you look at this, cost vs result based on room limitations. I too am facing similar room situation. It is easy to just say, 'order the best' regardless of price but sometimes the law of diminishing returns do have to apply. I'm sure as time and room requirements go forth I will consider either speaker or possibly equipment upgrades but for now will as you say, enjoy the journey and appreciate each step along the way. Very well said.

Shindo D'Yquems
Shindo Vosne Romanee
Devore 0/96
Luxman PD-171
Dynavector xx2 MkII
Luxman DA-06
Mac Mini
Magnum Dynalab MD 107t
Shindo and A23 Cables