AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsT View Post
According to PS Audio, I don’t need a PS Audio DAC. I just need a DAC with I2S to play the SACD layer.
You should check again with a knowledgable source. It's not really a hardware issue. It's a legal issue, the SACD license agreement, I believe. The DAC and the transport, whether in a single box player or in separates, must be from the same licensed manufacturer. This is typically 'enforced' by firmware. At least that's my understanding.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:46 PM

Not the case with the PST and there are several members on the PSA forum using the PST and the Holo. Paul explained how they got around it several months ago. Not really sure what knowledgeable source you want him to get it from other than PS Audio themselves. It works whether you believe it or not.
Old 11-10-2021, 02:16 AM

PS Audio is using the HDMI cable as the electrical interconnect but doesn’t follow the standard.

I2s is single ended with 3 data streams and a common ground. PS converts these single ended data streams to balanced so its 6 pairs of wires and a ground wire for each pair. HDMI connector has enough pins/wires to accommodate this many wires. You can also accomplish the same with cat-6 ethernet cords. Most other manufacturers with I2s follow the same topology with either HDMI or cat-6 (McIntosh uses DIN) however they could expect different voltage levels at the input.

This is a one way transmit from the transport to the DAC. The transport device doesn’t know what device its connected to. The DAC is the receiving end however I2s stream doesn’t include any metadata about the hardware (unless PS audio injects this) therefore it can’t know whether its the same brand transport or other.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:36 AM

The Holo Audio – Spring 3 DAC and May DAC I2S input IS compatible with the PS Audio PerfectWave SACD Transport I2S output. Just need to set the Dac to ALT2.

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 11-10-2021, 01:38 PM

I'm aware that there are possible circumventions. Unaware of details. Thanks for responses. Good luck.
Old 11-18-2021, 11:31 AM

Lars surprised to hear you did not like the direct stream, I love the one i got from you especially with the last 2 software upgrades.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:31 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
I heard the Holo May Kitsune level DAC at CAF 2021 yesterday....overbuilt in the extreme, great sounding, has I2S and other inputs, Delta-Sigma and R2R DACs,...every bit as amazing as the large volume of positive comments have said it is.

That would be my #1 suggestion in the range and group you are looking at, hands down.
I have one on-hand here...still breaking it in.

It's nice...clean, quiet and all that; sounds great as you say.

Personally, though, I just don't find it as musically-involving or as engaging as the Lampizator Baltic 3. There's virtually nothing I can complain about regading the Holo May 3; it's everything that folks have said it is.

What it doesn't do, at least for me...is draw me "into" the music the way the Lampi does.

Must be a tube thing.

No, wait, I'm loving the Constellation Inspiration integrated on loan from a buddy. And, my wondrous little Amp Camp amps by our hobby's resident amplifier genius, Nelson.

So, that can't be it...I'm so confused!

Not really. I just love the Lampi...

Just my coupla cents.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 11-18-2021 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-21-2021, 12:12 PM

My vote for the Holo May KTE. I took the leap of faith a year ago to order it sight unseen. One year later and it is still rocking the system.
Old 11-21-2021, 11:33 PM

I have the Holo Audio May KTE and am running SACD from an Oppo 105 through a D.Bob to the May. It sounds great. Not sure if you need the D.Bob with your player—sounds like the I2S (via HDMI cable?) is capable of going straight into the DAC.
Sound Lab 745s, AtmaSphere MA1s, 2 Rythmik 12SE subs, 1 dual 10" DIY sub, Parasound JC2 pre, Aurender S10, Holo Audio May DAC, Oppo 105, DIY Lenco L75, Wavestream Kinetics tube phono stage, Shunyata loom
Old 12-21-2021, 04:03 AM

Default Any DAC Suggestions For PS Audio Perfectwave SACD Transport

I solved my problem by canceling the Perfectwave, actually one day before I received an email from PS Audio stating they wouldn’t be able make their delivery date. The process became too much like work and not fun.

I ended up with a McIntosh MCD600, and I absolutely love it. I haven’t listened to my Lumin X1 much since the 600 arrived. To my ears anyway, it is that good. What an unexpected treat this has been. And I saved a lot of money in comparison to the alternatives I came up with.

Last edited by LarsT; 12-21-2021 at 04:55 AM.