AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > VPI Industries

VPI Industries Turntables Made in USA

Old 08-29-2013, 08:49 AM

Just got a classic 3 up and running with my kleos sl. Amazing. Cant wait till it gets broken in, but it already smokes my aries. So much clearer and defined. Maybe less bass though(maybe just cleaner?) Any thought on damping fluid? I'm not good with compliances and resonance frequencies
Old 08-29-2013, 11:14 AM

Sorry haven't followed this whole thread but smokes your Aries 3 with the same arm and Lyra cart?

Last edited by Dafos; 08-29-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Rob.......Cool! I have always thought of turntables as sexy. They have an allure that is undeniable. I would give in and get your wife a turntable rig as soon as possible.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
The analog medium is no more likely to make a crappy recording sound good than is the digital medium. Many analog recording are compressed to accommodate the inherent pitfalls of recording to vinyl and they often sound that way to my ears. Some vinyl sounds absolutely spectacular. Just because it has been pressed in vinyl versus digital is no guarantee of a premium performance. Just like digital recordings vinyl recordings can be hit or miss. I like vinyl playback, especially when a well produced, premium pressing is being played. Still, I tend to play 85% digital to 15% vinyl. I enjoy both mediums. One of the biggest drawbacks for me with vinyl is purchasing quality pressings. All the vinyl producers and resellers claim perfection, but it is rarely true. Buying, then returning a bad pressing is a pain in the butt and gets expensive. When I pay $35.00 for a record including the shipping and it arrives warped, noisy, or otherwise defective I am pissed. Then it costs me another $6.00 to ship it back while hoping the replacement is good. Now my record cost me $41.00. Sometimes the replacement is good, sometime it isn't. Those experiences take the fun out of purchasing vinyl on the web. None the less, when you get a good vinyl copy of a favorite recording it will put a smile on your face. Engaging in vinyl playback takes a lot more effort than does digital playback. If you are willing to put forth the extra effort, vinyl can be rewarding.
Dans response is 'spot on' !
Old 08-29-2013, 08:49 PM

Dafos,
No not Aries 3, an original Aries with original JMW and the kleos sl, it was awesome, but the classic 3 is a whole new level of separation and spacing. Loving it.

Jeff
Old 08-30-2013, 09:38 AM

Thanks for your reply Jeff, I have an Aries 3 and have often wondered if and how the Classic 3 is an improvement over it.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:30 AM

Default VPI Classic III vs Oracle Delphi

I am thinking of replacing my 22-year old Delphi III, SME IV arm and Skala cartridge with a VPI Classic III (using the Skala). I haven't heard the Classic III since there doesn't seem to be a dealer here in Lisbon so would be ordering it from Spain. While I am satisfied with the venerable Oracle, a change is attractive, and I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on how the two TTs would compare? New, the latest Delphi would be much more expensive than the VPI, but I have been hearing good things about the latter. Any information gratefully received.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:04 PM

I used to have an Oracle Delphi Mk I, and auditioned a Delphi Mk V against a VPI Aries a few years ago.

Now, I'm not sure exactly how the Aries and Classic 3 compare in terms of sonic character, but the Aries and Delphi couldn't have been more different. The Delphi is very dimensional, lively and airy; the Aries was "heavier" sounding, more authoritative with black backgrounds, but less dimensional and less lively, among other differences.

I'd definitely audition before buying - it's far from guaranteed that somebody who likes Oracle will like VPI, and vice versa.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:10 AM

Get it in rosewood... :-).
Old 01-27-2014, 07:38 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Rob.......Did you make a decision on a new turntable? Just curious.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A