AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Power Conditioners

Power Conditioners Voltage regulation to AC Regeneration

Old 05-09-2015, 12:40 PM

I have 2 of that unit Dan posted, works great for me, I should have 2 more
Old 05-09-2015, 12:54 PM

I have a pretty conservative system compared to many here, but I can honestly say that the combination of the PS Audio P5, all WW Silver Electra 7 power cables, and PS Audio upgraded power outlets has optimized my system to sound better than ever. I have the "blackest" backdrop to my music, and I couldn't be happier with my power upgraded.
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 05-09-2015, 11:48 PM

Great thread.

I've got a P5 incoming, so now I know what to expect.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:01 AM

Those who went P5 or P10,
did you ever get the chance to compare that to say the upper model conditioners from say Isotek/Isol-8/Shunyata?

Appreciate this is not usually possible, but would be great if some have that experience to share.
Thanks
Orb
Old 05-10-2015, 07:57 AM

I think one way to think about a regen unit is like this.

A PC/laptop or Mac computer internally runs on fairly low voltage 1 to 5 volt circuits. The power supply has a function to not only convert to cd from ac but to allow for clean stable noise free voltage to safe guard and protect the components.

Same with an automobile, car stereo and especially the on board computers need stable clean cd power. The modern alternator makes high voltage ac current and the bridge rectifier and voltage regulator allow for cleaner stable cd current.

So even though our home gear is ac 120/240 volt it to needs stable clean power. Both the conditioners and regen units go about to similar clean the power, but a regen is going ac-dc-ac.

DC stands for Direct Current, and cd is is a constant more than ac current. AC current alternates on a 50/60 cycle within a frequency range. That range makes noise, the internal components of audio gear etc like a PC Mac etc have a power supply. The power supply has the same job as that of the computers, to offer stable low noise voltage and current to the internals. High end audio gets into these tordial power supplies and go so far as to have the power supply in an external box like my Woo headphone amp etc.

Conclusion is to offer stable voltage/amperage with as little noise and free from spikes and drop outs as possible. Both methods work, condition or regen, but I think a regen path should in theory be more of a logical method. And all of these processes introduce heat too. That as well has an effect on noise, stability etc.

Lastly think of a motor, people car automobiles motors, not, they have engines. You can make a very powerful engine, but is is more variable in nature than a motor. A lesser HP/wattage motor has a more even power spread. Trains use engines to make current to drive Huge motors. I think the goal is to be quiet like a motor. A good motor that is

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 05-10-2015, 08:04 AM

A few decent links.

Note ac current cost less to make, keep that in mind too.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternating_current

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Currents

As you can see you can even get into battles on this topic.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 05-10-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
Those who went P5 or P10, did you ever get the chance to compare that to say the upper model conditioners from say Isotek/Isol-8/Shunyata? Appreciate this is not usually possible, but would be great if some have that experience to share. Thanks Orb
Not really answering your question, but I went from IsoTek Aquarius to Audience adeptResponse aR8 to PS Audio P10. Each change gave me more clarity, bigger soundstage and more music!
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 05-10-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John49 View Post
Not really answering your question, but I went from IsoTek Aquarius to Audience adeptResponse aR8 to PS Audio P10. Each change gave me more clarity, bigger soundstage and more music!
Thanks John,
sort of fits the question as I am sure you would had notice any pros/cons between the adeptResponse and PS Audio P10; seems like P10 had no weaknesses compared to the conditioner in your situation and good to know.
I assume you also run the Moon 700i on this as well (and also historically on the conditioners).
Thanks
Orb
Old 05-10-2015, 10:09 AM

Over the past few months I've been testing various power configurations and have more or less settled on the following setup with the help of a number of friends and mentors:

• PurePower 230v regenerator with battery pack connected to a dedicated 230v line connected to a Torus electrical panel.
• MIT power conditioner connected to regenerator.
• DAC, preamp and CAPS v4 music server's linear power supply (LPS) connected to MIT power conditioner. In spite of the possibility that connecting the LPS would decrease SQ, it actually resulted in a positive improvement.
• CAPS v4 SSD connected to JCat battery power supply.
• JCAT battery power supply connected to a separate dedicate 110v line.
• Amplifiers connected to separate, second MIT power conditioner.
• Second MIT conditioner connected to a second dedicated 230v line.
•All power cords are MIT ZIII with the exception of the JCat battery power supply.

Last edited by cmarin; 05-10-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
Thanks John, sort of fits the question as I am sure you would had notice any pros/cons between the adeptResponse and PS Audio P10; seems like P10 had no weaknesses compared to the conditioner in your situation and good to know. I assume you also run the Moon 700i on this as well (and also historically on the conditioners). Thanks Orb
Orb... Yes, I have everything listed below running off the P10, apart from the Monks RCM.
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM

Last edited by John49; 05-10-2015 at 10:00 PM.