AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 05-25-2023, 03:34 AM

@Martin3579

Given that it's been a month, I'm guessing that you already have this dealt with.

I also have a pair of Valors with Wavelet 2 (I got in January 2022). I use the Wavelet 2 as a preamp, but run the treble channel through a Raven Audio Blackhawk 20 watt integrated tube amp (with 60 year old NOS tubes) to the speakers (with Silversmith Audio Fidelium speaker cables). At a level of 70, I get about 75dB at listening position (12 feet from speakers). The low volume you are seeing does not make sense to me. Probably best to contact Legacy about this issue. I had the Valors configured to be able to switch between internal class-D amp or external amp for the treble section. Night and day difference. Totally changes the character of the sound. I now only use the internal amp module to help calibrate the gain on the tube amp (using iPhone SPL app using 3KHz test tone). I use an integrated amp as the tube sound comes from the signal tubes.

@SCAudiophile Interesting to hear about the Omnio +. I originally heard the demo with older Omnio, but they shipped with the newer Omnio. I didn't like it as much, so they sent me a Wavelet 2 with the original firmware I heard in a demo in the September before I received the speakers. I suggested that they support both versions, as I felt that people would really miss out if they could not hear the version I originally demoed. Looks like they finally managed to add both versions.

Matthew
Old 05-25-2023, 03:51 AM

@Martin3579

I just had a thought. There have been times that I have forgotten to switch on my tube amp for the treble section (above 800Hz). The volume can sound low when this happens. Do you have a reference gain level to compare the treble section against. The gain of the external amp for the treble section can make a big difference here.

Matthew
Old 05-25-2023, 04:07 AM

@Martin3579

One more thing to consider, if you are using analog inputs. The dip switches at the back make a big difference. I set the dip switches at the back so that I get the sound volume to be the same between my vinyl input, home theatre AVR, and digital streamer at a single volume setting (so that I don't need to change the volume level when I switch sources). I did use the Leech digital volume control for fine adjustments to get the levels the same.

Matthew
Old 05-25-2023, 07:40 AM

Same here,...it did not make sense to me either as it is contrary to any experience I have had with any Wavelet I or II-based system I have owned over the last 8+ years (4 in all).

The only time I know of where a Wavelet problem with low channel output was initially reported, it turned out to be a nearly new Lampizator Horizon DAC with a faulty XLR output in 1 channel that had to go back for quick repair.

Last I heard, he was in direct contact with Bill and Ed at Legacy.