AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 04-15-2011, 06:00 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Hmm... guess you just use the Quote button at the bottom. Go figure.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:30 PM

Just press the quote button in the lower left corner!

didn't think of that with the GAT! Please let me know if they fit. I know they won't fit in the front of my C500 Mac preamp either....

Hope you have a good experience.

As for power tubes, the Shuguangs and the Gold Lions have both provided a good upgrade to quite a few of the members here. No where near as expensive.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:18 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepub View Post
Just press the quote button in the lower left corner!

didn't think of that with the GAT! Please let me know if they fit. I know they won't fit in the front of my C500 Mac preamp either....

Hope you have a good experience.

As for power tubes, the Shuguangs and the Gold Lions have both provided a good upgrade to quite a few of the members here. No where near as expensive.
Thanks again... and I note issue 36 arrived in my inbox yesterday. Your Scotty makes a nice Avitar... Bichon here.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:23 PM

Actually he was a Kerry Blue! Great dog though. He passed away last year, but I'm about ready for a pup again!
Old 04-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
The EAT Tubes are admittedly pretty spendy, but so far the sonic benefit is as good as any rare NOS tubes I've had the chance to try, and at least these have a guarantee if they fail prematurely. I've had a few expensive NOS tubes croak in a short period of time with no recourse.

The EAT output tubes worked great in my LP70, but that only required four. At about 1600 per quad, it's up to you if that's cost effective for your power amps.

But I would highly suggest trying a pair in your GAT. Or even your favorite NOS 6922's. So far, the result has been spectacular in every preamp I've tried them. Bigger soundstage, lower noise and better dynamics. The GAT is an awesome preamp, so you'll probably hear a pretty decent difference. Let us know what you think

Reply...

TonePub,

Good suggestions, thanks. I've ordered a pair of the EAT ECC88s for the Gat. The dealer is expecting a shipment soon. To be sure of fit in the GAT, tried to order them w/o the spiked thingy on the outside but despite being listed in the price sheet, they're not available that way.

The LP140s have a critical driver tube up front. That may be a place to try an EAT without spending $3200 for two quads. By the way, C-J has an update for the LP140s that makes that single perfect driver tube less critical. Don't know if it applies to your LP70.

Got to figure out how you guys do the nice gray quote boxes for reply on this site...
Yes, you may have trouble with the EAT tube dampers not fitting in the GAT with the acrylic tube protector thingys. I had the same trouble with a set of Herbies' tube dampers fitting when using the plexi tube guards on the three front input tubes on my LP70s. They wouldn't fit with the plexi pieces without making the tube sit cockeyed in the socket. This caused a failure mode in two of those three input tubes in the front (like the ones on your LP140s) that required me to replace these input tube sockets). If you can remove the unusual metal EAT tube dampers, they would likely fit in your GAT with using the C-J style red neoprene O-ring type tube dampers. Or you can use the EAT ones, but you may have to remove the plexi "tube guards".
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:39 PM

Removing the tube dampers that also function as heat sinks will void the warranty on the EAT tubes. I'd suggest getting a pair from music direct so that you can return them if they dont fit properly.

In the case that they don't, give Kevin deal a call and get three of his best 6922's.. Get a third matched tube, so you have a spare in case one fails prematurely.

Hope they fit ok...
Old 04-20-2011, 01:46 AM
Cool, calm scientist

For the OP:

The 6922 tubes that Kevin Deal recommended to me for my LP70S and Premier 17 were the Ediswan NOS 6922s....pricey at Platinum Grade at $150, but they sound very good in my LP70S.

Me, I am going to try out the new Genalex Gold Lion 6922.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 04-20-2011 at 01:49 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:35 AM

The tube quality in the GAT is much more critical than it is in the driver stage of an LP70, or any power amplifier for that matter.

Youve already dropped 20k on one of the worlds finest linestages, don't cheap out on a pair of tubes if you really want to get the maximum from your GAT. As this preamp has only been out dot a year, the handful of good NOS tube guys haven't had a lot of experience with it, so you may try a few things before you get the the exact sound you want.

The ET5 has passed the 500 hr point and switching to the EAT tube has made it quieter, more dynamic and slightly less grainy on the top end. As the ET5 is heavily based on the GAT design, I suspect you would have similar luck, provided the tube will fit.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:22 AM

I have been a bit scared to even contemplate NOS 6922's for my ART3, too bloody expensive when I need 10 and a couple of spares, but I am very happy with the stk tubes.

- more dynamic and quieter does sound enticing - I have no issues with grain on top thou. Doe the EAT tubes change the overall tone of the ET5 / GAT?

ET5 is grainy on top?

BTW Coppy, nice to see another cj owner
Old 04-21-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
I have been a bit scared to even contemplate NOS 6922's for my ART3, too bloody expensive when I need 10 and a couple of spares, but I am very happy with the stk tubes.

- more dynamic and quieter does sound enticing - I have no issues with grain on top thou. Doe the EAT tubes change the overall tone of the ET5 / GAT?

ET5 is grainy on top?

BTW Coppy, nice to see another cj owner
Well, that is the issue with the ART3, but seriously, the tube life is pretty long. While EAT tubes might not make sense for that preamp, you could probably find some decent tubes in the 50-75 ea range that will really knock your socks off compared to the stock tubes.

The EAT tubes have not changed tonality in any preamplifier I've used them with thus far.

The ET5 is not grainy on top, but when you hear the diff between the stock tube and the EAT, it is much cleaner sounding. It's not the preamp, it's the $10 tube they put in at the factory.

That's one of the most fun aspects of this preamplifier and the GAT. With only one or two tubes, you can try a few different options without breaking the bank.

But that being said, the ART series preamps respond incredibly well to tube rolling. As you can well imagine if CJ put premium tubes in them from the factory, it would raise the cost considerably.