AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 03-16-2023, 05:36 PM

Default Any MDA200 Owners?

So a few weeks ago I upgraded my C2700 preamp to the C12000. I absolutely love it. The phono stage alone was worth the upgrade. However...I'm really missing the DA2 DAC in the C2700.

I'm considering the new MDA200, but the other piece of the equation is that my current streamer is a Bluesound Node. Definitely the weak link in my system. The Node's DAC, at least.

From all accounts, McIntosh doesn't really have a good streaming transport offering right now. Maybe they will down the road. But for the time being, I'm struggling with the decision of getting the MDA200 and just using my Node as transport for now (all I really stream is Qobuz) or looking at something outside of the McIntosh lineup that's both streamer and DAC, like something from Lumin, Aurender, Auralic, etc. My budget is pretty much the $4k price of the MDA200.

I sort of feel like a separate DAC is better in the long run, especially considering something like the MDA200 which can easily be upgraded if/when McIntosh release a DA3 module. But for ~$4k, is the MDA200 a wise buy, or are there better options to consider? Struggling between wanting to keep the system as "McIntosh-y" as I can and getting the best streaming option within my budget. Would appreciate any and all advice.
Old 03-17-2023, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisCheesehead View Post
... I sort of feel like a separate DAC is better in the long run ...
+1, yes absolutely, whatever you decide, go with your instincts and get a separate DAC. Things with digital change too quickly to compromise with an integrated solution. If you can find a one-box solution that isn't a compromise, just give it time. It'll be compromised soon enough, which will be all too soon.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 03-17-2023, 09:57 AM

Your Node's streamer is also much weaker than your McIntosh gear, and I'm with cleeds on a separate DAC. I love my Mc amps, but I would sacrifice the uniform visual appearance and go with one of the streamers you listed and a DAC from a company that is focused on DACs such as Schiit, Berkeley, or dCS
Old 03-17-2023, 03:03 PM

I'd go with the MDA200, definitely.

Best

Charles
New gear on order: MC2.1KW Anniversary power amplifier; C12000 An preamplifier; MCD12000 An SACD/CD player; AQ 1 meter Dragon balanced IC; 2 meter AQ Hurricane HC power cord; 3 meter AQ Hurricane Source power cord; unspecified 3 meter AQ digital coaxial IC and power cord for my backup MVP851 DVD player given as a surprise gift to me by my dealer
Most recent updates: Latest is the last one posted: AQ Diamond USB replaces AQ Coffee; Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx replaced by Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic; new subwoofer crossover; new Galaxy Grey Thors Hammer; Wilson Pedestals; heating and cooling completely reworked and reinsulated resulting in a much quieter, cooler, and more efficient room (cost about 10,000.00). McIntosh MCT 500 SACD/CD transport; Wilson Audio Acoustic Diode for XVX Chronosonic; WEL Signature digital Coaxial cable for MVP 881/D1100 digital connection replacing the optical connection; New plinth for Thor subwoofer made of X material with the Wilson Acoustic Diodes; Thor is now off my floor; MC3500MKII mono block amps (2) and two custom granite slabs; Wilson ActivXO Stereo Electronic Crossover; new 75-ohm multi-directional FM antenna for tuner; total of eight additional Wilson Audio Heavy (red) pedestals placed under the MC3500MKII mono blocks; JRiver Media Center 31
Amps: McIntosh MC3500MKII mono blocks (2), McIntosh MC1.25KW’s (3). All amps set on floor on custom made granite slabs
Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCT500 SACD/CD Transport, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 31)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic; custom made Wilson Acoustic Diodes
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie; custom plinth of X material with Wilson Acoustic Diode feet; Wilson ActivXO Stereo Electronic Crossover
Cables main system: Audioquest WEL Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); WEL Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; WEL Signature digital coaxial cable for MVP 881/D1100 digital connection; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for MVP 851 DVD player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Audioquest Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for MR87 tuner
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from ActivXO crossover to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to ActivXO; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Isolation: Wilson Pedestals for D1100; MVP881 BR player; MCT500 transport; Wilson Audio ActivXO electronic subwoofer crossover; plinth for Thor subwoofer made of X material with the Wilson Acoustic Diodes; eight Wilson Audio Heavy (red) Pedestals placed under the MC3500MKII mono blocks (four placed under the rails of each amp)
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.
Old 03-18-2023, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisCheesehead View Post
From all accounts, McIntosh doesn't really have a good streaming transport offering ……..

Struggling between wanting to keep the system as "McIntosh-y" as I can and getting the best streaming option within my budget. Would appreciate any and all advice.
I like yourself wrestled with keeping the system all McIntosh but in my experiences there are much better DACs out there for the price.

When whole house listening a Vault2i is used to feed the DA2 in the c2700 so music can be heard as one moves around the house. Each living space has speakers and it’s simple and easy. Especially for my wife.

But, in the evening when I just want to do some critical listening I use the Baltic 3 feed by the Opticalrendu which then is connected to the c2700 XLR. The sound is wonderful. That’s my experiences and journey.

There is no right or wrong answer here. Decide first where you’re priority lie. Is it the best possible sound, an all McIntosh look, convenience or something else. Once you set weight to those areas your answer will be a little clearer.

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500
Old 03-18-2023, 09:18 AM

I would listen to a number of different DAC’s before committing to a purchase.
Personal preference and system synergy play a big role in DAC selection.

For example I prefer non-over sampling R2R DAC’s having proprietary filters. McIntosh does not currently offer this type of DAC as the MDA 1000 is out of production.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 03-18-2023, 09:29 AM

I just upgraded my preamp to the C2700 in order to get the DA2. I have not done anything with it yet. I have looked at streaming but am more interested in getting my cd collection stored and playing.
My System: Amp-McIntosh MC611(2) :Pre-McIntosh C2700, MP1100 :CD/SACD-McIntosh MCD600 :Speakers-McIntosh XR100 :Power Controller-McIntosh MPC1500 :Turntable-VPI HW40 Ortofon Cadenza Black :Cables-Morrow PH5,MA5 and Elite Speaker Cables :Headphones-McIntosh MPH1000 :Record Cleaner Klaudio KD-CLN-LP200T
Thanks,
Bill
Old 03-18-2023, 12:41 PM

IC, Every system is so unique, it is unwise to draw conclusions based on other folks systems. You liked the sound you got with your 2700. IMO you are getting a better DAC with the separates (C-12000 and MDA200), than with the 2700. Yes, it's the same module but there's more to the MDA200 than just the DA2 Module. Separates always sound better, IMO. I'm a believer in sound signatures. I think you will be much happier having your new C-12000 connected to a Mac DAC. You should concentrate on the best digital coaxial cable and power cords that you can afford. My WEL's and Dragons that connect my MCT500 and MVP881 to my D1100 cost as much as the units themselves and as Ivan will tell your connections and power make a huge difference in the sound.

BTW, huge congrats on your C-12000. I wish I had one. If you choose the MDA200, it will look amazing next to your C-12000. And you are correct, according to my friend at Mac, the phono stage is truly special in the C-12000.

Best

Charles
New gear on order: MC2.1KW Anniversary power amplifier; C12000 An preamplifier; MCD12000 An SACD/CD player; AQ 1 meter Dragon balanced IC; 2 meter AQ Hurricane HC power cord; 3 meter AQ Hurricane Source power cord; unspecified 3 meter AQ digital coaxial IC and power cord for my backup MVP851 DVD player given as a surprise gift to me by my dealer
Most recent updates: Latest is the last one posted: AQ Diamond USB replaces AQ Coffee; Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx replaced by Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic; new subwoofer crossover; new Galaxy Grey Thors Hammer; Wilson Pedestals; heating and cooling completely reworked and reinsulated resulting in a much quieter, cooler, and more efficient room (cost about 10,000.00). McIntosh MCT 500 SACD/CD transport; Wilson Audio Acoustic Diode for XVX Chronosonic; WEL Signature digital Coaxial cable for MVP 881/D1100 digital connection replacing the optical connection; New plinth for Thor subwoofer made of X material with the Wilson Acoustic Diodes; Thor is now off my floor; MC3500MKII mono block amps (2) and two custom granite slabs; Wilson ActivXO Stereo Electronic Crossover; new 75-ohm multi-directional FM antenna for tuner; total of eight additional Wilson Audio Heavy (red) pedestals placed under the MC3500MKII mono blocks; JRiver Media Center 31
Amps: McIntosh MC3500MKII mono blocks (2), McIntosh MC1.25KW’s (3). All amps set on floor on custom made granite slabs
Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCT500 SACD/CD Transport, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 31)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic; custom made Wilson Acoustic Diodes
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie; custom plinth of X material with Wilson Acoustic Diode feet; Wilson ActivXO Stereo Electronic Crossover
Cables main system: Audioquest WEL Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); WEL Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; WEL Signature digital coaxial cable for MVP 881/D1100 digital connection; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for MVP 851 DVD player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Audioquest Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for MR87 tuner
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from ActivXO crossover to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to ActivXO; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Isolation: Wilson Pedestals for D1100; MVP881 BR player; MCT500 transport; Wilson Audio ActivXO electronic subwoofer crossover; plinth for Thor subwoofer made of X material with the Wilson Acoustic Diodes; eight Wilson Audio Heavy (red) Pedestals placed under the MC3500MKII mono blocks (four placed under the rails of each amp)
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.
Old 03-18-2023, 10:24 PM

Thank you, everyone, for your comments. Lots of good advice and suggestions of things to give some more thought to. I appreciate it!
Old 03-18-2023, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
BTW, huge congrats on your C-12000. I wish I had one. If you choose the MDA200, it will look amazing next to your C-12000. And you are correct, according to my friend at Mac, the phono stage is truly special in the C-12000.

Best

Charles
Thanks, Charles! It was definitely a somewhat impulsive splurge. I was considering the upgrade, just hadn’t intended to do it quite so soon. But I walked into my dealer to just talk to them about it, and they had just taken one out of the box and had set it up in their reference system. I played with it for a couple hours, and took it home that night. I just turned 50, so this was a bit of a milestone birthday “happy birthday to me” moment…

I’m curious about your thoughts on your D1100 DAC compared to the MDA200. I saw someone mention in a separate post here that the D1100 is considered a reference level DAC. Where does the MDA200 fall in comparison? I think they both use Sabre chips. 9018 in the D1100 and 9028 pro in the DA2 module, but I honestly don’t know the differences other than the 9028 is newer. Which doesn’t necessarily mean better. And then of course there are all the other components that go into the overall unit. Power supply, output stage, etc.