AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Acoustical Treatments

Acoustical Treatments Because the room matters

Old 10-21-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
They should work fine as long as they fall in the weight requirements for the footers you're looking at. See the IsoAcoustics website page on Gaia footers for the recommended weight range.

Alternately, consider IsoAcousics Orea footers (using the proper model for weight of the speakers) and just placing your speakers on them.

I actually do that with my Harbeth speakers to positive effect.
Hmm, I have the Gaia footers, it's been a while so I was unaware of the Orea Series, they might be a good solution for my turntable.

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2019, 10:29 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddog View Post
Hmm, I have the Gaia footers, it's been a while so I was unaware of the Orea Series, they might be a good solution for my turntable.

Thanks!
They are, acc. to a review by Art Dudley using them under his TT. He was initially very skeptical of them, but he said there was virtually no doubt they improved the presenatation.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:48 PM

Thanks for sharing that, I haven't read any reviews on them (especially in light of the fact that I hadn't heard of them till today), and haven't made any audio hardware or software purchases for over 2 1/2 years. I will add these to the my new list.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:50 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Thanks for sharing that, I haven't read any reviews on them (especially in light of the fact that I hadn't heard of them till today), and haven't made any audio hardware or software purchases for over 2 1/2 years. I will add these to the my new list.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/...audio-creative
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:04 PM

Thanks Stephen, I haven't been on any audio sites in the past 2 years either, just listening/playing music, among other things. Thanks for the link, boy, I used to read Art every month.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:39 AM

I installed the Gaia's on my Epicons a couple of months ago. The review's I've read pretty much describe my experience. More focus, tighter bass and better sound stage. I'd give them a thumbs up.

- Bob

Dali Epicon 8, Luxman 509X, highy modified MDHT Orchid Dac, Cambridge Audio CD transport, iMac, Core Power 1800, Shunyata and Nordost cables
Old 10-22-2019, 01:00 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Thanks Stephen, I haven't been on any audio sites in the past 2 years either, just listening/playing music, among other things. Thanks for the link, boy, I used to read Art every month.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
They should work fine as long as they fall in the weight requirements for the footers you're looking at. See the IsoAcoustics website page on Gaia footers for the recommended weight range.

Alternately, consider IsoAcousics Orea footers (using the proper model for weight of the speakers) and just placing your speakers on them.

I actually do that with my Harbeth speakers to positive effect.
Thanks, rnrmf1971, presumably your Harbeths are also mounted on stands?
Old 10-26-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Welcome, Mike!
Thanks Puma Cat and for the recommendations.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:05 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Mike,

Regarding speaker decoupling and footers, consider all Herbie's Audio Labs "Fat Dot" series of dBNeutralizer material for placement between speaker and stand and Herbie's Decoupling Gliders for use as a footer at the bottom of the stand. I use the Decoupling Gliders under my big Dyns on carprt to very good effect. They are also very inexpensive compared to other footers.

Square Fat Dot made of dB Neutralizer material: "This firm yet loosely crosslinked material is formulated specifically for blocking mechanical soundwave energies. Wide footprint gets a good grip and provides excellent lateral stability. Each Big Fat Dot supports and isolates from five to more than 200 pounds (90kg)."

Threaded Stud Gliders. These have a Teflon base and make it easy to slide the speaker around on carpets and rugs.
"Nifty glider replaces threaded spikes or cones for loudspeaker or rack isolation and mobility with superb lateral stability. (With an efficient decoupling approach, spikes are not really needed at all.) Fiberglass reinforced dBNeutralizer-filled vinyl base with smooth polymer bottom handles virtually any weight load on bare or carpeted floor. With jam nut to lock-in height adjustment. (Superb also for use as turntable or amplifier feet.)"

FWIW, these decouplers are recommnded for speaker decoupling and footers by some setup professionals that use the Masters method.