AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PMC Speakers

PMC Speakers UK's Finest

Old 07-28-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
I had the Fact 8's and recently sold them. I wouldn't get them again. The frequencies that PMC lists these speakers as capable of may be true, but at significantly reduced outputs. In my opinion there wasn't enough bass. The midrange, highs, and imaging were fantastic, but too many recordings were just too lean and not satisfying.
If you plan on a subwoofer, then maybe the Facts will work great. Perhaps they would sound different in a room that wasn't as bright as mine. They have lots going for them, just not a satisfying bass response for my taste.

I just replaced my OB1i's for the same reason, more bass and a lot more at that because i love house and hip hop.

When looking I did consider the Fact12's but as they are new its hard to get a good price on them and they are only 84db efficient which turned me off when compared to their reference kit which is 91db. The way I figured it was if I went for the 12's I would need to upgrade my amp to a Bryston 14B which added 9k to the upgrade cost and by going with an MB2 I did not need an amp upgrade so it won out.

Mind you the OB1i's no slouch with bass and have much more weight then the Fact8's as well as sounding a little more laid back, i just wanted more of what the ob1i's had so i moved up the PMC chain to one of their reference level models and have finally achieved what I feel is audio nirvana

Last edited by essjay; 07-29-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxwired View Post
Good feedback. I've heard this before about the fact 8s. The fact 12 is supposed to be much better in the bass department. It has all new bass drivers. But man, the price!!!!! More than double the already expensive fact 8.

What did you replace your fact 8s with?
At this point I haven't replaced them! Auditioning speakers that I'm interested in is kinda limited in Orlando. My next out of town trip will probably include a visit to a dealer. ...unless I decide to buy something unheard.

But that's what I did with the Fact 8's and it taught me a lesson. I got what I consider a "free pass" though- I was able to sell them for more than I paid for them new! I don't expect that to happen again.

At the moment, I'm using an old pair of JBL 3 way monitors to get me by. They aren't even in the same league as the Facts but they are harmless and warm sounding. But they add a homogeny to everything I listen to.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 07-29-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by essjay View Post
I just replaced my OB1i's for the same reason, more bass and a lot more at that because i love house and hip hop.

When looking I did consider the Fact12's but as they are new its hard to get a good price on them and they are only 84db efficient which turned me off when compared to their reference kit which is 91db. The way I figured it was if I went for the 12's I would need to upgrade my amp to a Bryston 14B which added 9k to the upgrade cost and by going with an MB2 I did not need an amp upgrade so it won out.

Mind you the OB1i's no slouch with bass and have much more weight then the Fact8's as well as sounding a little more laid back, i just wanted more of what the ob1i's had so i moved up the PMC chain to one of their reference level models and have finally achieved what I feel is audio nirvana
It sounds like you made the right move. After hearing the Fact's, I know PMC can deliver the goods. Higher up the PMC food chain probably brings everything you could want.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 07-30-2013, 08:44 AM

i listened to the fact 3 and they are amazing. they are dynamic, musical and accurate. the bass does not go low enough. depending on room size, you may need a subwoofer. anyway i bought them, hooked them up with my subwoofer and i am extremely happy. my room size is 15x15 ft. with 9 foot ceiling. they play very loud and fill the room.

the fact 8 goes much lower in the bass. its soundstage is a bit wider than the fact 3, but my fact 3 with a subwoofer is really good. the size and looks fits perfectly in my family room and WAF was very high.

this is my first time in pmc land and i am not leaving. my friend in west africa convinced me just go and listen. pmc speakers are very popular overseas.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usbyte View Post
i listened to the fact 3 and they are amazing. they are dynamic, musical and accurate. the bass does not go low enough. depending on room size, you may need a subwoofer. anyway i bought them, hooked them up with my subwoofer and i am extremely happy. my room size is 15x15 ft. with 9 foot ceiling. they play very loud and fill the room.

the fact 8 goes much lower in the bass. its soundstage is a bit wider than the fact 3, but my fact 3 with a subwoofer is really good. the size and looks fits perfectly in my family room and WAF was very high.

this is my first time in pmc land and i am not leaving. my friend in west africa convinced me just go and listen. pmc speakers are very popular overseas.

congrats and welcome to the family!
Old 07-31-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
congrats and welcome to the family!
thanks. my dealer asked me to come and audition the fact 12 next week. its only $20k.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usbyte View Post
thanks. my dealer asked me to come and audition the fact 12 next week. its only $20k.
DO NOT GO , CANT UN-HEAR!

Old 08-02-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
DO NOT GO , CANT UN-HEAR!

I agree. I aint going.http://www.audioaficionado.org/image...ies/banana.gif
Old 08-02-2013, 02:08 PM
Media Server Aficionado

I only saw the title of the thread and didn't read anything...

Answer is YES.

Always a YES.

Don't even know why you asked, really.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Learning to Listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuvius View Post
I only saw the title of the thread and didn't read anything...

Answer is YES.

Always a YES.

Don't even know why you asked, really.
Building a journey filled with suspense and dramatic pauses, building an audience.

Working so far....