AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PMC Speakers

PMC Speakers UK's Finest

Old 06-09-2012, 01:54 PM

Default PMC EB1i are back !

In my.......second system.
Passion gives strength.
Today I decided to take them at the lower floor and alone brought them down in the stairs.
And I am far from being a superman ( the ones who know me could testify that I'm a rather small and unsignificant man ).
Still, my love for those wonders have been stronger.
Do you know the Eva Cassidy's song ( maybe not from her though ) : " How can I stop from singing ? "
I think I heard the EB1i shouting this at me each day since I removed them from the main system.
They are now playing with the C46 and the Manley Snappers. And yes, they sing like very few speakers can do.

Pics to come !

BTW, is there a problem if 2 different amps are connected at the EB1i at the same time ( one on the treble plug for example and the other one on the mids ) , while only one is on and playing ?
Let me explain : my son uses this system and often forgets the Snappers on. So I plugged my Audiolab SS amp to the second output of the C46 and I would like to have the Audiolab plugged all the time in the EB1i, as the Snappers. By selecting the output on the C46, either amp will deliver the signal. Is that a problem ?

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

Last edited by Jerome W; 06-09-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
In my.......second system.
Passion gives strength.
Today I decided to take them at the lower floor and alone brought them down in the stairs.
And I am far from being a superman ( the ones who know me could testify that I'm a rather small and unsignificant man ).
Still, my love for those wonders have been stronger.
Do you know the Eva Cassidy's song ( maybe not from her though ) : " How can I stop from singing ? "
I think I heard the EB1i shouting this at me each day since I removed them from the main system.
They are now playing with the C46 and the Manley Snappers. And yes, they sing like very few speakers can do.

Pics to come !

BTW, is there a problem if 2 different amps are connected at the EB1i at the same time ( one on the treble plug for example and the other one on the mids ) , while only one is on and playing ?
Let me explain : my son uses this system and often forgets the Snappers on. So I plugged my Audiolab SS amp to the second output of the C46 and I would like to have the Audiolab plugged all the time in the EB1i, as the Snappers. By selecting the output on the C46, either amp will deliver the signal. Is that a problem ?

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Jérôme.......I would not leave both amplifiers connected to the speakers at the same time. They will each back feed voltage into the output stages of the amplifier not being used. Don't do this. I would suggest using banana plugs for each amp at the back of the PMC EB1i speakers, only connecting the amp you wish to use. Perhaps you can always make sure when you are finished listening to the Manley that is gets disconnected from the speakers and the Audiolab reconnected.

Happy to know the EB1i's are back in service. I love mine. They are playing right now.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 06-09-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Jérôme.......I would not leave both amplifiers connected to the speakers at the same time. They will each back feed voltage into the output stages of the amplifier not being used. Don't do this. I would suggest using banana plugs for each amp at the back of the PMC EB1i speakers, only connecting the amp you wish to use. Perhaps you can always make sure when you are finished listening to the Manley that is gets disconnected from the speakers and the Audiolab reconnected.

Happy to know the EB1i's are back in service. I love mine. They are playing right now.
Thanks Dan !
Yes I was supposing that this was not a good idea. You're right : I will reconnect the Audiolab after each session with the Manleys and it will be fine.
Eric Bibb's "Diamond Days" is playing now and it sounds.....delicious.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:32 PM
McKlipschead

Nice save Dan!
Old 06-10-2012, 12:15 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Jérôme.......How are the PMC EB1i's and the Manley sounding together? What are the sources?

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 06-10-2012, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy
Jérôme.......How are the PMC EB1i's and the Manley sounding together? What are the sources?

Dan,

I did not have enough time yesterday night but the few tunes I listened to were stunning. I do not get the excitment sense of the Wilsons ( you know this "right here right now" thing ) and they are in almost an open space ( will take pics ) so it will be tough to have a precise stereo image. They are also too close to each other and last but not least, they really look huuuuge in that room. Not estheatically appealling at all but I could get used to that.
The Snappers drive them perfectly. It was already the case when they were in my main system. They are highly musical amps. They have plenty of punch and ease. The main differences with the 2301's are the last degrees of details / definition, the speed and violence of the attacks, and the stereo image : the Manley give a much smaller scene, which is a good thing in my second system.
I would recommend them to anyone who loves the 2301's but want a more affordable solution and / or a more intimate ( I mean a smaller image and weights of the notes ) sound. Sometimes, the 2301's give a so BIG sound that I have the feeling that my room is too small for them and that I would need to be much farer from the speakers. The Snappers give a more "human" presentation, I mean smaller. The Snappers do not give a small image per se; they actually give a better image and 3D sense than most SS amps I listened to, except for the Rega Osiris which has a stereo image out of this world.

There is a big loss of definition and details with the C46 compared to the C1000. But I can live with that for my second system.

Source is the Squeeze Box Touch connected in coax to the dac of the C46.
I may add a TT later.

Still thinking about the Rega RS10 or a pair of Tannoy Kensington SE for this system : those smaller speakers will be more pleasant aesthetically in that room ( But it is not an easy decision to make because the PMC sound is better ! ) or why not, a pair of PMC 24.....

I could even trade them for OB1i.

Last edited by Jerome W; 06-10-2012 at 04:28 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:44 AM
A happy little vegemite..

Thanks for this Jerome - enjoyed the read.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach
Old 06-10-2012, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPandy View Post
Thanks for this Jerome - enjoyed the read.
Thanks Andy !

Your signature is really nice
Old 06-10-2012, 06:00 AM

An other advantage of the PMC over others is that those speakers can just rock the whole house without any distortion. They are able of a very very huge sound, not only in SPL but I mean extremely weighty.
They will be useful for parties of the kids.
The RS10 or the Kensington will be in parts at the middle of the road compared to the EB1i....
Old 06-10-2012, 06:27 AM

Some pics :

Now, can you imagine a small guy like me carrying those monsters alone, in those stairs ?? :