AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Lamm

Lamm Bringing you the magic of music

Old 10-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Energize

Jsli,
good to hear that, so i wait selling my 2 spare ESP Essence Ref II and try them against my echole´s. In most Setups i liked the echole´s better but with my CAT Legend preamp it was a perfecr match but i also heard that Ken Stevens designed his preamp with the Essence cord. So it is no wonder that the Ref outperformed my echole´s in that case.
Can you tell me what poweramps you already tried and liked the most?
I like my modified Mastersound 845 SET Mono amps from Italy with 50 watts in class A very much and hope the Lamm´s will outperform them altogether. I bouhgt the Lamm´s without having heard them in my System.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Señor Member

You have awfully good taste Ralph. The CAT Legend is the best linestage I've ever heard.

The Mastersound 845 is a warm, luscious wonderful sounding amp. 845s, I've found, tend to be a little richly balanced in the mid to upper bass bands and the Mastersound naturally sounds that way to me too.

The Lamm is a completely different kind of amp. Top to bottom it's extremely linear. It's also very versatile as it can drive almost anything.

Comparing the Lamm to the Mastersound, I feel, is an apples to oranges proposition. Far more appropriate would be a Mastersound to Lamm ML 2.2 comparison as their power and topologies are more closely allied.

I've been told (but haven't heard them for myself) that CAT makes some wonderful amps too. Anyway, you're in for a real treat with the Lamms once they've been broken in...but be advised...they take a long, long time to do so!
Old 10-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Energize

Jsli,
i am very curious on how the Lamm´s will fit im my System. From what you wrote and what i have heard it is a good match as i like most of al natural Sound. My Mastersound Amps do Sound much better than the Standard Versions but what you write is still correct. I hope the Legend Preamp and the Lamm´s are a good match but i am pretty sure they must otherwise i would not have ordered it before listenig at home.
I will get my Lamm´s next week and i am Aware that all amps Need Long time to burn in. In my experience after 250 hours things are getting better after 500 hours most things settled. Is thsi also your experience? What amps Do you use? Lamm´s?
Looking Forward to hearfrom you.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:19 PM
Señor Member

Hi Ralph!

I never keep track of the hours...I just remember that I went through 3 months of torture before the amps came around. But when they did, did they ever!

One tip: make sure you set the CAT's gain to "Low." That way, the gain structure of amp and preamp will be perfectly matched.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Energize

Hi Jsli,
thanks for the tip, so i can leave it on low. You still use the CAT Legend with Lamm M1.2, are you?
Old 10-14-2013, 10:18 PM
Señor Member

A terrific combination!
Old 10-20-2013, 05:30 AM
Energize

Hi Jsli,
got my Lamm M1.2 Ref Thursday and am burning them in now. I can hear the potential they have but as you said they Need their time for settling. I will burn them in for about 200h more hours and then i will do some powercord tests. I Keep you guys informed about that.
What made big difference was placing them properly.
I use Bach acoustic lenses made of hardwood with a weeker material between the halfs of the lenses for a bit of damping. On the 3 lenses i place a custom made Tankwood board of more than one Inch diameter, then Harmonix 999 MKII tuning feet and on These the Lamms. This is far superior than all other platforms i used including Pagode Master Reference Platform in the past and also with the Lamms this is a big improvment.
I am Hearing Ali Farka Toure and Ry Cooder "Talking Timbuktu" in this Moment and can already enjoy it!!
Old 08-26-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Hi Jsli,
got my Lamm M1.2 Ref Thursday and am burning them in now. I can hear the potential they have but as you said they Need their time for settling. I will burn them in for about 200h more hours and then i will do some powercord tests. I Keep you guys informed about that.
What made big difference was placing them properly.
I use Bach acoustic lenses made of hardwood with a weeker material between the halfs of the lenses for a bit of damping. On the 3 lenses i place a custom made Tankwood board of more than one Inch diameter, then Harmonix 999 MKII tuning feet and on These the Lamms. This is far superior than all other platforms i used including Pagode Master Reference Platform in the past and also with the Lamms this is a big improvment.
I am Hearing Ali Farka Toure and Ry Cooder "Talking Timbuktu" in this Moment and can already enjoy it!!
So, how does it sound?
Old 08-27-2014, 04:21 PM
Energize

Hi thesaint519,
the sound is great, i really love what i get now, i cannot find a fault in the sound.
I am very happy. I did more finetunig with the speakers and could take away some "angel hair" damping material out of the midrange chamber which improved the sound even more.
I did some serious upgrades: EMM Labs XDS1, all Stealth cabling now with Sakra V12 from CDP to preamp which is a far superior cable to all others i ever heard.
The best result now with powercords i had on hand was with ESP Ref 2 but it was best using them for all components. This is the configuration i am using now. I will test the Stealth powercords next year maybe but i am really satisfied with what i am getting now.
Thank you for asking!
I did some tube rolling also but now with the Sakra cables it seems the stock tubes are most neutral. The Goldlions are warmer, fuller but to much of a halo effect in my revealing system now. Before the Sakra cables i preferred the Goldlions a bit.
It is always system dependent as you all know...
What are your experiences, do you have something to share?
Old 08-28-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Hi thesaint519, the sound is great, i really love what i get now, i cannot find a fault in the sound. I am very happy. I did more finetunig with the speakers and could take away some "angel hair" damping material out of the midrange chamber which improved the sound even more. I did some serious upgrades: EMM Labs XDS1, all Stealth cabling now with Sakra V12 from CDP to preamp which is a far superior cable to all others i ever heard. The best result now with powercords i had on hand was with ESP Ref 2 but it was best using them for all components. This is the configuration i am using now. I will test the Stealth powercords next year maybe but i am really satisfied with what i am getting now. Thank you for asking! I did some tube rolling also but now with the Sakra cables it seems the stock tubes are most neutral. The Goldlions are warmer, fuller but to much of a halo effect in my revealing system now. Before the Sakra cables i preferred the Goldlions a bit. It is always system dependent as you all know... What are your experiences, do you have something to share?
Not sure I have much to add, considering I have only used one power cord with my Lamm equip from the beginning. I've only used Analysis Plus Oval 2s for the M1.2s and a stock PC for the L2. This is the next frontier for me. So I'm soliciting as many resources as I can in order to make the best decision for my Lamm equipment. Based on the opinions of many on this forum whose opinions I respect, I'm leaning toward Transparent Audio Reference PCs.